What can I do to my stock xr600?

43 replies to this topic
  • Owyhee

Posted November 30, 2007 - 04:37 PM

O.K, thanks. I looked at the listing and the guy didn't say. I am not sure which one I want to do first (front or rear) but I pretty much want to update my bike. Here's another question. Was it worth it? I move my bike a lot, and pushing it really sucks, it feels really heavy and feels like I am pushing or dragging the rear tire along the ground, and when I push my bro's bike, it is soo easy. It is really easy. That is another reason to switch...plus replacing drums sucks

I'd wager that a fork swap is cheaper and easier than a swingarm swap especially if you can get a somewhat fresh CR500 for $300. It cost me about $40 in machining to reduce the CR500's stem.

Not rolling freely is a sign of something not right. If you think your drum is dragging one of you can pivot the rear tire off the ground on the swingarm while the other one rolls the rear wheel.

As simple as it may be, check your air pressures. Low tires makes it hard to roll a bike.

"O"

• rangerman

Posted November 30, 2007 - 04:41 PM

Never checked air pressure in my dirtbike tire before...on any of my dirtbikes. I have always left them alone.

What should they be at front and rear?

Anyway. I have a couple more questions non suspension related. I am looking into getting a couple other parts for my bike. The first thing I thought I should get is a new choke plate...is that good? $25 at xrs only.

Now, I need to get a new air filter and don't want K&N because I have heard before from many other people and the manufactures them selves that they don't really clean all the air...so I was thinking of going with a UNI...is that good too?

Thanks again

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Owyhee

Posted November 30, 2007 - 05:01 PM

Never checked air pressure in my dirtbike tire before...on any of my dirtbikes. I have always left them alone.

What should they be at front and rear?

Different people will tell you different things. I run 14 front and 12 rear. It's enough to keep the rims from bending.

Anyway. I have a couple more questions non suspension related. I am looking into getting a couple other parts for my bike. The first thing I thought I should get is a new choke plate...is that good? $25 at xrs o

That's a good fix. It's a good idea to check yours at the first opportunity.

Now, I need to get a new air filter and don't want K&N because I have heard before from many other people and the manufactures them selves that they don't really clean all the air...so I was thinking of going with a UNI...is that good too?

What's wrong with the one on your bike? It looked okay in the pics. Unis work well. I have a Twin Air on my 99. It doesn't fit and I was pretty upset.

"O"

• rangerman

Posted November 30, 2007 - 05:15 PM

Just old. It is fine. I just need to re-oil it again with the sticky crap before I go riding again. Honestly it probably isn't worth replacing.

I am having problems taking the tire pressure. I tried putting the gauge over the top of the nipple but it doesn't do anything. The front worked a little (I could hear some air come out, but not enough for the gauge to read. Do I need a special type of tire pressure gauge? Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.