XR600 is Jumping Time

2 replies to this topic
  • arider

Posted November 24, 2007 - 08:14 PM

The cam chain is jumping time when I'm kicking it over. I'm not sure if its due to a stretched chain or if the tensioner spring needs replacing. I can't find a chain length spec in the repair manual.

Anyone know of a measurement to confirm if its due to the chain?

91 XR600.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zipper600

Posted November 25, 2007 - 03:10 AM

the borg type camchain that XR uses is crap..it stretches easily..doesnt long much....normally you mount the chain and chain adjuster and it seems its all ok but when you start it,in a while it starts tiking the valves against piston (yes,it happened to me).the chain is too big(stretched) or the chain adjuster is not ok..but the chain adjuster does not have much play.probably your chain is too big..replace it..i almost killed my engine trying to keep the same chain..check on US ebay cause there are some people selling better replacement chains than stock ones.Good luck:thumbsup:

• creeky

Posted November 25, 2007 - 06:16 AM

Most likely the chain has stretched and the tensioner has moved to the limit of its' travel. Pull the cam cover off to verify just what the problem is. At the least, you will need to replace the chain. If the engine was running when the chain jumped, there could be damage to the valves and the piston.

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.