XL600 Hi-Comp Piston?

9 replies to this topic
  • Nate R

Posted November 24, 2007 - 09:16 AM

Wiseco makes an 11:1 compression piston for the XL. Anyone have any idea how much power gain I'd see out of this? How much harder will that be to start?

• crmc33

Posted November 24, 2007 - 02:52 PM

Hi,

If you can wait a few weeks I'll be bale to tell you as Im just building an XL with that piston!

• Nate R

Posted November 25, 2007 - 07:39 AM

Any reason you chose that piston over an XRs only piston?

• zrxer

Posted November 25, 2007 - 05:27 PM

Nate R,

I have a Wiseco 11-1 piston with 200 miles on it if you're interested. It still looks new, only a little brown on top. 1 mm overbore (101 mm). Bruce

• Nate R

Posted November 25, 2007 - 06:09 PM

Now, why would you have that? pulled it out and put in an xrs only piston???

:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crmc33

Posted November 26, 2007 - 05:02 AM

Ive chosen it cos I always used the wisecos for racing. I find them to be very strong and good value.

• zrxer

Posted November 26, 2007 - 05:33 AM

Now, why would you have that? pulled it out and put in an xrs only piston???

:thumbsup:

No, smart ash, that's not what I did! lol Here's the story.
I bought this bike, it ran good but had top end oil leaks. I pulled the top end apart to repair the leaks and while it was apart I decided to pump it up a bit. So, I bought the Wiseco, a Megacycle cam, had the rockers hardwelded and so on. Reassembled it and it ran great, only now it sprung a leak out of the main cases!:busted: So, I pulled it back down. In the meantime, I came across a bunch of '93 XR650L stuff. The engine ran great, so I installed it, the wiring harness and front end onto the XL600. The 650L engine has always burned some oil so now I'm gonna pull it down and try to install my dual-carb top end on it. I can't use the piston because it's for a 600.

So there you have it, the abbreviated version.:busted: Bruce

• martinfan30

Posted November 26, 2007 - 09:58 AM

a 600 dual carb head on a 650 motor? cool....:thumbsup:

• cleonard

Posted November 26, 2007 - 10:10 AM

No, smart ash, that's not what I did! lol Here's the story.
I bought this bike, it ran good but had top end oil leaks. I pulled the top end apart to repair the leaks and while it was apart I decided to pump it up a bit. So, I bought the Wiseco, a Megacycle cam, had the rockers hardwelded and so on. Reassembled it and it ran great, only now it sprung a leak out of the main cases!:busted: So, I pulled it back down. In the meantime, I came across a bunch of '93 XR650L stuff. The engine ran great, so I installed it, the wiring harness and front end onto the XL600. The 650L engine has always burned some oil so now I'm gonna pull it down and try to install my dual-carb top end on it. I can't use the piston because it's for a 600.

So there you have it, the abbreviated version.:thumbsup: Bruce

Zrxer,

Both the XR650L and XL600 pistons are 100mm in diameter. I think that the wrist pin diameters are the same, but I'm not sure. The difference is in the distance from the wrist pin to the top of the piston. I'm thinking that the distance in the XL piston is greater so it might go past the top of the cylinder.

I'm pretty sure that the XL combustion chamber is smaller. This will up your compression. Just guessing it will be about 9.5:1 to 10:1.

I think that the issue is going to be the difference in diameter of the head bolts. This might make the locating pins different in diameter between the XR650L head and the XL600 head. If this is the case try using the cylinder from the XL on the XR650L crankcases and see if that works. Might have the same issue with the locating pins between the XL600 cylinder and the 650L cases.

That dual carb XL head will get you at least 10% more power if not 15% or 20%.

• martinfan30

Posted November 26, 2007 - 10:30 AM

the locating pins could be trashed, and left out. couldnt they? havent had the cyl. off mine yet but the xl head sounds interesting to me.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.