sprocket bolts?

8 replies to this topic
  • hi everybody

Posted November 23, 2007 - 03:12 PM

which sprocket bolts should I use with an Ironman rear sprocket? I remember grayracer saying some stuff about the countersink and screw head having to match...but all I can seem to find are MSR sprocket bolts...will those work fine, without having my sprocket coming loose and grenading everything? thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted November 23, 2007 - 03:19 PM

Good: OEM or MSR

Better: These Stainless Grade 10 Bolts (halfway down the page)

I don't believe there's anything unusual about the countersink in an Ironman sprocket. However, don't run the Ironman with your chain set too tight. Be sure you do it as the manual says, no matter how loose it looks.

• hi everybody

Posted November 23, 2007 - 03:20 PM

thanks!:thumbsup: I might end up getting the MSR..cuz It looks like Im going to order my sprockets through monkeybuttparts.com and they have the msr...

I was looking at qualitysmart.com but it says that a 50 tooth rear is on back order.

edit. on monkeybutts website..they say the MSR are "10.9 tensile strength" and that the stock are 8.8...

whats that exactly mean?

• grayracer513

Posted November 23, 2007 - 06:17 PM

That's the bolt grade. Metric 8.8 is roughly equivalent to US Grade 5 (120,000 psi min. tensile strength. Metric 10.9 equates to US Grade 8 (150,000 psi min. tensile strength).

Since these bolts are not loaded in tension directly, tensile strength is not as great a factor as the bolts resistance to shear. Even that is overall less important than the strength of the mounting lugs on the hub. As long as they stay tight, the OEM bolts will not be what breaks first.

The extra strength is nice, of course, as long as you don't have to pay too much for it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hi everybody

Posted November 24, 2007 - 12:55 AM

I see...

then Ill probably just go with MSR, just to save on the shipping...and keep em tight!

• Huckster

Posted November 24, 2007 - 04:23 PM

Do you guys change your sprocket bolts every time you change your sprocket?

• grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2007 - 06:36 PM

I don't, but I don't change sprockets very frequently, either.

• 642MX

Posted November 24, 2007 - 07:24 PM

Do you guys change your sprocket bolts every time you change your sprocket?

I just changed mine because my bike is 100 years old and I felt like I should replace them. I normally just reuse them and add a drop of red loc-tite to each bolt as I install them.

• 642MX

Posted November 24, 2007 - 07:27 PM

I see...

then Ill probably just go with MSR, just to save on the shipping...and keep em tight!

I bought a set of Tusk (Rocky Mountain brand) sprocket bolts and nuts. They are cheap and work just as good as OEM. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.