Jetting Recommendations Please - 02 YZ426

2 replies to this topic
  • xnofriendsx

Posted November 23, 2007 - 11:42 AM

Can someone please recommend some jetting specs?
The settings below were decent when i was living at sea level, but i recently moved to 3500ft elevation and just did the BK Mod with .5 sec squirt. It was at around 3 sec squirt. I will be testing it in a few days. I am yet to start it up yet after i did the BK Mod the other day.
Two Questions:
1. What settings below should i change due to the BK Mod?
2. What settings below should i change due to the elevation change?

Thanks for any help.

Model: 2002 YZ426
Timing: YZ
Main Jet: 162 (stock)
Pilot Jet: 42 (stock)
Starter Jet: 72? (stock)
Leak: ?
Fuel Screw: Zip Ty: 1.5 turns out
Air Box: No Lid
Pipe/Muffler: Stock
Altitude: was at sea level, then just moved up to 3500-5500ft
Temp: 30-70F
Humidity: <20%

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 23, 2007 - 02:56 PM

Theoretically, a 4200 ft increase in altitude would require you to lean your jetting by a factor of about .96, which would mean a 155 main and a 40 pilot. (Don't fiddle with the starter jet until there's some proof you need to. Your carb has no leak jet)

However, what I suggest you do is try the bike as is first. YZ426's had a rep for being lean on delivery, and you may find it runs really well just as it is, or perhaps doesn't need as much correction as the charts would indicate.

• dc671

Posted November 23, 2007 - 03:03 PM

xnofriendsx sorry to hi jack your thread...

grayracer I'm hoping you can help me out with my jetting issues also? I have an '06 YZ450F and I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area. I replaced the jets with the FMF kit. Main jet is 150 and Pilot Jet 48, went 2 turns out on the fuel mixture screw and the have the needle clip at the # 4 groove from the top. The problem I am experiencing is it still backfires when I let off the throttle and sometimes doesn't idle that good. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.