Substitute for YAMAHA Bond 1215

4 replies to this topic
  • debun

Posted November 23, 2007 - 11:17 AM

I'm about to check my valves (20hrs) is there a substitute for Yamaha bond 1215 that I can get from pep bogs autozone etc?

• grayracer513

Posted November 23, 2007 - 02:45 PM

You don't need it for a valve inspection. As long as the gasket (more like a big seal, really) will stay in place where you position it on either the cover or the head, just reassemble the cover with no additional sealer. If the gasket won't sit still, tack it in a few spots with something like a contact cement, or a thin, oil resistant weatherstrip type sealer.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted November 23, 2007 - 04:32 PM

Grayracer is right. You don't need to reseal the valve cover. I know the manual recommends it, but its not needed. :thumbsup:

• todds924

Posted November 23, 2007 - 06:07 PM

I'm about to check my valves (20hrs) is there a substitute for Yamaha bond 1215 that I can get from pep bogs autozone etc?

Gasgacinch works well to hold the gasket in place.

• 642MX

Posted November 23, 2007 - 08:23 PM

Gasgacinch works well to hold the gasket in place.

A guy at work swears by that stuff. He uses it as a sealer on head gaskets.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.