Restarting a hot bike

11 replies to this topic
  • yzfmerf

Posted November 22, 2007 - 06:54 PM

I am getting really frustrated with my 06'. I have re jetted to 48/170 like i have heard a lot of people mention and added a fuel screw. I have it about three turns out and it still pops. Is the fact it is to lean the reason why it wont start once it gets hot. Although i have had the bike for a while now i want to get a better understanding of how it works. I don't have that feeling right now.

• KAS

Posted November 22, 2007 - 07:23 PM

Too lean will not make it hard to start when hot. Your jetting isn't too lean.

Checked the valves lately?

• yzfmerf

Posted November 24, 2007 - 03:55 PM

Stupid in full mode here. When i looked at the bike again choke was still on! In any case i thought of something else though. I put a Procircuit header pipe on not that long ago but kept the stock silencer. Would that affect the jetting or does it have to do more with the silencer. I have not been able to ride much and the last time i rode and had the problems restarting it as probably to hot for the 48/170 i have in there now and with here i had the fuel screw.

• KillerHiller

Posted November 24, 2007 - 06:00 PM

Make sure to put in nuetral first. I'm sure someone will chime in with the rest of the drill.

• todds924

Posted November 24, 2007 - 08:04 PM

Stupid in full mode here. When i looked at the bike again choke was still on! In any case i thought of something else though. I put a Procircuit header pipe on not that long ago but kept the stock silencer. Would that affect the jetting or does it have to do more with the silencer. I have not been able to ride much and the last time i rode and had the problems restarting it as probably to hot for the 48/170 i have in there now and with here i had the fuel screw.

I believe 48/170 and 3 turns is too rich. I would use a 45/165 and 2 1/4 turns. That is what i run in my 06 with the only difference being i also changed the needle to an NFLR. Always starts first or second kick when very hot. When i tried a 48 pilot and a richer leak jet it was a pain to start hot. I wouldnt worry about a little popping...and just changing the header shouldn't throw the jetting off.

• TP161

Posted November 24, 2007 - 08:13 PM

I am running my o6 all stock and it is also very hard to start when it is hot. If I kill it then forget it, off the track we go to cool down and restart. Should I re jet?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzfmerf

Posted November 24, 2007 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the help guys. As soon as i pick up a carb tool i am going to do a little experimenting. I am pretty sure it was to fat for the air temp and that is why it would not start when it got hot. I suppose if you don't tip over you don't have to worry about it, maybe i should concentrate on that next time out. By the way if am in Elsinore which is about 600 ft but we ride as high as around 3000 i think when you get into the high desert.

• todds924

Posted November 24, 2007 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for the help guys. As soon as i pick up a carb tool i am going to do a little experimenting. I am pretty sure it was to fat for the air temp and that is why it would not start when it got hot. I suppose if you don't tip over you don't have to worry about it, maybe i should concentrate on that next time out. By the way if am in Elsinore hich is about 600 ft but e ride as high as around 3000 i think when you get into the high desert.

I race all the So Cal tracks on my 06 and 08. I never have to change my jetting for any of the different tracks...It stays the same.

• blue9red9

Posted November 25, 2007 - 06:02 AM

I bought my 06 used. It has the 48 170 combo in it. It runs great, starts hot or cold. My fuel screw is probably about 2 out.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 25, 2007 - 09:38 AM

Altitude and temp is key here.
one thing for sure stock jetting is too lean
45/48 pj
165-170mj
these are the ranges for 900-2000ft
that I have tested that work for me
the NFLR needle works well in the 06 also

• grunkthump

Posted November 25, 2007 - 09:58 AM

on my 07' a 48pilot is TOO rich...even in the now 40 degree minnesota weather!!

• grayracer513

Posted November 25, 2007 - 04:31 PM

I run my '06's from 3650 feet down to 25 feet below sea level (yes, that's correct) year 'round on the same jetting:

165/45/NFLP needle (stock) in #4/screw about 2.25 out

Truthfully, I could probably run 170/48 or a 170/45 in the desert during the winter (like today), but the bikes run great, and they start right up, hot or cold, so....:thumbsup: Besides, then I'd have to change it for my HA rides.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.