Uncorking?

8 replies to this topic
  • rangerman

Posted November 22, 2007 - 01:03 PM

What exactly is it? Like giving my bike more flow?

• hondacrf150f1

Posted November 22, 2007 - 01:08 PM

im quessing your talking about your 87 XR600R? I dont no the older XR's, but there are 3 basics

1. More Airflow, either a aftermarket filter or opening up the airbox
2. Re-jetting the carb, new main, pilot, and needle
3. opening up the exhuast to get more flow out of that, get ridda the baffel or go with a aftermarket tip/slip-on.

Basically all bikes are corked up from the factory, some more than others, you will definatly see a large increase in power if you jet right, but gas mileage will suffer.

• XR_Aaron

Posted November 22, 2007 - 01:28 PM

What exactly does opening up the air box consist of?

• rangerman

Posted November 22, 2007 - 01:55 PM

Yes, I am talking about my 87 xr600. If I got rid of my baffle wouldn't that mean I couldn't ride in the woods? What does opening the airbox consist of?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted November 22, 2007 - 02:00 PM

"Uncorking" refers to modifications to the airbox to improve airflow into the engine and opening up the muffler. Under the seat on top of the airbox, the factory installs a restrictor in the air intake hole, remove it. On an '87 bike, I would think that this has already been done. Also, tossing the stock filter and installing a UNI or Twin Air filter will help airflow. Lastly, remove the baffle from the muffler. You will need to rejet slightly richer after doing this.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted November 22, 2007 - 06:26 PM

Yes, I am talking about my 87 xr600. If I got rid of my baffle wouldn't that mean I couldn't ride in the woods? What does opening the airbox consist of?

Your gona have to talk to a guy with a 600R, I know the 650R airbox can be uncorked just buy pulling out a rubber booty...but i dont think the older XR's have this.

• absynth01

Posted November 22, 2007 - 06:48 PM

Uncorking kinda means breathing better. From the intake, through the motor and exhaust, you increase your air/mix which equates to more power. As you would breathe more air, you need to process the mix, and breathe out the exhaust. Air box mod, piston valves carb, good exhaust= uncork. Not for sure with your bike, but that is the main goal.

• Cobalt650

Posted November 23, 2007 - 12:33 PM

For a 2007 XR650L, is there a rubber doohickey to remove in the airbox, or are there gains to be made by just replacing the air filter? Other nimrod question, I'm at about 800' above sea level, in Wisconsin, is there a mixture screw to richen it up, or will the jets need to be changed? I'm thinking slip on exhaust, mixture or jets, and whatever most do to the airbox. In my first 80 miles, seems doggy, lots of popping on deceleration, but still a complete blast to ride:applause: Makes me feel like 20 years ago when I had a XR600L in college. Minus the three kids, mortgage, missing hair, ........

• hondaxrl650

Posted November 23, 2007 - 03:07 PM

For a 2007 XR650L, is there a rubber doohickey to remove in the airbox, or are there gains to be made by just replacing the air filter? Other nimrod question, I'm at about 800' above sea level, in Wisconsin, is there a mixture screw to richen it up, or will the jets need to be changed? I'm thinking slip on exhaust, mixture or jets, and whatever most do to the airbox. In my first 80 miles, seems doggy, lots of popping on deceleration, but still a complete blast to ride:applause: Makes me feel like 20 years ago when I had a XR600L in college. Minus the three kids, mortgage, missing hair, ........

For the 07 there are 2 rivets that need to be drilled on the top of the airbox , I would think that any upgrade ie , filter , slip on , you would need to rejet . The bikes come very lean for the factory. The popping is caused by the smog pump on the ( I think ) left side of the motor ( the thing with all the tubes coming out . My bike I have de-smoged did the air box mod and re-jetted using a 55 158 ,but I am still running the stock exhaust . I hope this helps

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.