Triple Clamps-Help me decide.

33 replies to this topic
  • todds924

Posted November 24, 2007 - 08:36 PM

The OP asked for opinions of people who actually have an '06-'07 with a set of clamps, not recommendations based on anything else, so your reading of MXA's opinion doesn't qualify.

I have never said that I have a problem with the way my '06 handles. I have said that it pushes more than I like, but I don't have a problem with it. If I scoot forward and get on the gas, it doesn't push. Overall, I have alway found it a pretty neutral handling bike with which I can do pretty much whatever I want. When I get some spare change, I'll probably go with 24's to update it.

I used to put more stock in what MXA said, and to an extent, they're still more accurate than most. But their fixation with the YZ450's steering problems has been somewhat inconsistent if you follow it from the bike's introduction, and the test they did with clamp offset is not very useful, IMO. For one thing the results are somewhat at odds with other testing done, including true blind testing, and testing done by one of the country's best test riders, both of which indicated that the 24mm offset is the right choice. Overall, the MXA test appears more than anything to have been a reflection of a preconceived conclusion. Interestingly, the steering geometry produced by this setup is what the '08 comes with, which they rave about as a major improvement, but still don't like.

Your credibility is weak enough in that your opinion is based only on what you read in a magazine, whose recommendations as to the best product in any given category you claim to follow. You then undermine that by having purchased a bike that they panned, passing up the CRF450 which has been their favorite every year for the past 6. I'm probably not the only one who sees the lack of continuity there.

I don't see any usefullness in recommending something that hasn't been tried PERSONALLY! All this he said she said crap....... If i use something and like it I'll say so....If i hate it i'll say so....But then again i don't have anybody PAYING me to say so like MXA does!!!!!!!!!

• mxracer206

Posted November 25, 2007 - 05:02 AM

We ran some 22.5 clamps on our 07 for a while and ended up going back stock. On some tracks it was better but for the most part there seemed to be a deflection issue when hitting things {square edges or depressions}while turning, especially at speed. I really liked the 24mm clamps that I tried on an 06 demo I set up but honestly did not put a lot of time on that bike. If I raced an 06-07 YZ450 I would maybe put some 24mm clamps on it but with careful set-up the stock clamps are not bad.

• Chilio

Posted November 25, 2007 - 06:37 AM

RG3, enough said!

• TapptOut

Posted November 25, 2007 - 03:31 PM

What offset of RG3?

• wes782

Posted November 25, 2007 - 03:59 PM

well i rode tonight with my new 24mm applied clamps. all i have to say is WOW. i used to ride a honda and was mad i got a yamaha.i couldnt charge as hard as i could with my honda and alwys felt out of my element. I could never push it hard because i always thought the front end would slide out. not anymore my bike felt like it was on rails, i finally am confident in my bike and can actually push it, this is all from the new clamps too i havent even put my new MS3 on the front yet, i cant even imagine what it will be like then. I will write more once i have some more time with them but as of now i am so happy i got them!

• mywifefarts

Posted November 25, 2007 - 06:57 PM

quote:

well i rode tonight with my new 24mm applied clamps. all i have to say is WOW. i used to ride a honda and was mad i got a yamaha.i couldnt charge as hard as i could with my honda and alwys felt out of my element. I could never push it hard because i always thought the front end would slide out. not anymore my bike felt like it was on rails, i finally am confident in my bike and can actually push it, this is all from the new clamps too i havent even put my new MS3 on the front yet, i cant even imagine what it will be like then. I will write more once i have some more time with them but as of now i am so happy i got them!

What year is your bike? I'm planning on buying a new 07 yz450f from my local dealer. I just want to know what kind of options I have if I don't like the way it turns.

• wes782

Posted November 25, 2007 - 07:18 PM

i have an 07 sorry, if i were you id go with the 24mm. it seems thats what works best and i can notice a huge difference. you dont want to go too much then be stuck with them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mywifefarts

Posted November 25, 2007 - 09:37 PM

Does Applied Racing make the 24mm offset in a rubber mount version?

THANKS for the info!

• Ga426owner

Posted November 26, 2007 - 06:02 AM

Does Applied Racing make the 24mm offset in a rubber mount version?

THANKS for the info!

yes they do........

nice screen name.......:thumbsup:

• runester

Posted November 26, 2007 - 11:24 AM

If you liked the 24's on your '06, they'll work for you on your '07.

I haven't messed with an E-Axle. Some have expressed concern about using it long term. Others say they see no reason why you should not. It would yield exactly the same results as the clamps, within the +/- 2mm range of the axle.

I have the recluse E-axle...I just installed last week, I love the bike now, and the versatility this axle provides is astounding!!! There is no "long term" issues that I see...The axle itself is kind of skinny compared to stock, however, The bushing and wheel spacers are stock size and very strong and they are what is supporting the stress being placed on it...There is nothing to worry about. The install is a snap (WAY quicker and easier than clamps) and you can "set your preferance" dont hesitate to buy this affordable and superior steering fix for the yz450 steering issues.
Rune

• maddogyz250f

Posted November 26, 2007 - 11:40 AM

I installed the RG3 22mm clamps on my 06 YZ450F and it helped but the biggest improvement came when I installed a Dunlop D745 tire. I ride mostly intermediate to hard terrain MX and this tire sticks like no other.

• mywifefarts

Posted November 26, 2007 - 02:53 PM

yes they do........

nice screen name.......:thumbsup:

I spend much time riding!

• mxracer206

Posted November 26, 2007 - 04:51 PM

I have the recluse E-axle...I just installed last week, I love the bike now, and the versatility this axle provides is astounding!!! There is no "long term" issues that I see...The axle itself is kind of skinny compared to stock, however, The bushing and wheel spacers are stock size and very strong and they are what is supporting the stress being placed on it...There is nothing to worry about. The install is a snap (WAY quicker and easier than clamps) and you can "set your preferance" dont hesitate to buy this affordable and superior steering fix for the yz450 steering issues.
Rune

How does that e-axle look when installed on the bike. It is a neat idea and am sure it has been tested to be strong enough but does it look ok? After all triple clamps add a little bling to your bike.

• runester

Posted November 27, 2007 - 12:49 AM

It looks O.K. I guess...the bushings, which are the pieces that fit in the bottom fork knuckles, are gold and I believe billet because they are VERY light, so you have that "bling" aspect and that is really the only exposed part...then in the center you see the bolt heads which on one side is a 10 mm with a hole in it so you can insert a 4mm allen or similar in order to twist the axle to the desired position, on the othe side is a 12 mm bolt head...the 10mm which is on the opposite side of the disc is off center..to what degree depends on the riders present desired position while the 12mm is always centered. All B.S. aside, it does add a bit of "bling" but as far as its purpose goes...clamps compared to this are a complete waste of $. I had been on the fence a while before I heard of this part here on TT and when I found out about it I bought it immediately, it is probably the best 200 bucks I have ever spent...seriously, with clamps you are stuck with what you get, like it or not, and they arent cheap...with this axle you can find your "sweet spot" and for half the price of one set of clamps you now have the flexability of owning every set available. TRULY remarkable device. And there is NO WAY it is unsafe. It is just not even within the realm of common sense to think that recluse would manufacture and then sell a product that isnt safe. At the track, you loosen five bolts, then with a 10mm wrench or 4mm allen, you just turn the axle in the knuckles to the desired offset..tighten the 5 bolts and your riding...takes 5 minutes to acheive the same affect as replacing a set of triples. No brainer for me...again, for 200 bucks this thing is just amazing and my 07 450 now feels awesome in corners, its now fun to hit the corners where as before it made me nervous...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.