XRR needs more topend

53 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted November 21, 2007 - 05:03 PM

Edlebrock, jetting, airbox, slip-on.
Great from bottom to low mid, then it just flattens out.
Will a higher flow header help much?
Cam? Whose is preferred?

• creeky

Posted November 21, 2007 - 05:37 PM

Edlebrock, jetting, airbox, slip-on.
Great from bottom to low mid, then it just flattens out.
Will a higher flow header help much?
Cam? Whose is preferred?

How is the Edelbrock set up? My son's Edelbrock equipped BRP with only other mods being the muffler insert and intake manifold updates will top 100mph pretty quickly, plenty good enough for me.

• FZ1426

Posted November 21, 2007 - 06:01 PM

I know people are gonna hate this, but you're probably looking at piston speed issues. Just the nature of the beast (no pun intended).

The only cure is a short stroke 450x...

• philipstjohn

Posted November 21, 2007 - 06:15 PM

How is the Edelbrock set up? My son's Edelbrock equipped BRP with only other mods being the muffler insert and intake manifold updates will top 100mph pretty quickly, plenty good enough for me.

XR650R, typical uncorking, 15-48 gearing, I was running 95-100 mph (on the baja designs standard speedo, dancing between 95-100 mile marks) seems to get me there on a dirt bike! Not sure how accurate the speedo is, but its feeling fast!! And, I had more bike as well!
I wonder how long a XR650R could run wide open? Anyone have any trials?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 21, 2007 - 06:23 PM

I've got the stock gearing (I think) and I cannot cruise past about 70 without really wringing her out....

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 21, 2007 - 06:40 PM

[quote name='FZ1426']I know people are gonna hate this, but you're probably looking at piston speed issues. Just the nature of the beast (no pun intended).

The only cure is a short stroke 450x...[/QUOTE]

You mean like this?? But no plate..........
http://s10.photobuck...City8906003.flv

• BWB63

Posted November 21, 2007 - 06:45 PM

XR650R, typical uncorking, 15-48 gearing, I was running 95-100 mph (on the baja designs standard speedo, dancing between 95-100 mile marks) seems to get me there on a dirt bike! Not sure how accurate the speedo is, but its feeling fast!! And, I had more bike as well!
I wonder how long a XR650R could run wide open? Anyone have any trials?

Free flowing Header helps alot!
David Gray and I where down pre-running the Baja 250 in 2004. We were coming back twards Sanfilepi on Zoo Road. We where running 15/47 and I had my GPS. I had my 680cc XR and he was running his 650cc XR (with edelbrock XR's Only header, R4 muffler and all the other little things that make an XR go fast) He wasn't able to stay with my bike but he was doing real well, maybe 102+. My bike was doing 118mph for every bit of the straight aways and I think that is about 10+ miles, then back off a little for the big sweepers then on again. We were as wide open as we could be for the rest of the road also. Baja 1000 is a test of how long a bike can last at full tilt and the XR650R does real well there.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 21, 2007 - 06:54 PM

Free flowing Header helps alot!
David Gray and I where down pre-running the Baja 250 in 2004. We were coming back twards Sanfilepi on Zoo Road. We where running 15/47 and I had my GPS. I had my 680cc XR and he was running his 650cc XR (with edelbrock XR's Only header, R4 muffler and all the other little things that make an XR go fast) He wasn't able to stay with my bike but he was doing real well, maybe 102+. My bike was doing 118mph for every bit of the straight aways and I think that is about 10+ miles, then back off a little for the big sweepers then on again. We were as wide open as we could be for the rest of the road also. Baja 1000 is a test of how long a bike can last at full tilt and the XR650R does real well there.

I have had trouble finding XR headers (other than FMF) as most companies have discontinued their headers years ago... any suggestions?

• weskc35k

Posted November 21, 2007 - 08:27 PM

FMF will work so will Staintune.

Go to a stage 2 cam and a hi comp piston as well Kranster you won't be sorry.
Lightening the fly will get you up inthe revs quicker as well.

• jk9270

Posted November 21, 2007 - 08:34 PM

Sure worked for my bike! More top end than I think you could really use offroad.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • porterdog

Posted November 21, 2007 - 08:42 PM

I haven't ridden a cammed XRR but I'll say that the way the XR series drops off at the top feels like a cam issue. It's one of the easiest ways for the factory to tune the power delivery.

Both my XRR and XR4 go dead before the revlimiters cut in.

• cleonard

Posted November 21, 2007 - 08:55 PM

Something sounds wrong here. I thought a 650R would do 90 to 100 with stock gearing.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 21, 2007 - 09:19 PM

Something sounds wrong here. I thought a 650R would do 90 to 100 with stock gearing.

My previous XRR also only got to 80-85mph on the fwy, and will go to 90 wide friggin open. Above 80 the power starts to drop off and is unusable for anything but flatland.
Could I possible need Edle tuning (like a larger main jet)?
I just checked my gearing and the front is stock and the rear is 48.

• Tattooart

Posted November 21, 2007 - 09:20 PM

That's what I have seen....I think there is more of an underlying problem here. My friends will do 90+easily and it is stock except for air filter and silencer uncorked.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 21, 2007 - 09:25 PM

Lightening the fly will get you up inthe revs quicker as well.

Yes, that would be cool, but so far no one has done it sucessfully, according to this forum.

• weskc35k

Posted November 21, 2007 - 11:27 PM

I have.

• Big Red Paul

Posted November 22, 2007 - 12:46 AM

How far can too far go ?

• weskc35k

Posted November 22, 2007 - 01:28 AM

My bike has the fly shaved by about 60grams, not much really.
Matchported head,nothing serious.
Stock valvetrain.
Stage 2 cam,nothing serious.
Raised compression,nothing serious.
Gianell slip on, nice note.
Cam timing advanced,nothing serious.
Stock headers,a compromise really.
Geared at 15/46 perfect for single trails and scary scary speeds.
No pumper yet, i just want one.
PC carb vent has cured the stock carb bog.
Twin air power filter.
It's registered,on paper.
Nothing serious but it goes all right.

• BBA

Posted November 22, 2007 - 05:38 AM

My bike has the fly shaved by about 60grams, not much really.
Matchported head,nothing serious.
Stock valvetrain.
Stage 2 cam,nothing serious.
Raised compression,nothing serious.
Gianell slip on, nice note.
Cam timing advanced,nothing serious.
Stock headers,a compromise really.
Geared at 15/46 perfect for single trails and scary scary speeds.
No pumper yet, i just want one.
PC carb vent has cured the stock carb bog.
Twin air power filter.
It's registered,on paper.
Nothing serious but it goes all right.

Weskc if your bike is nothing serious then my lil stock R is just a joke lol! It sounds like a pretty SERIOUS badass BRP to me you have there!

• creeky

Posted November 22, 2007 - 05:53 AM

Could I possible need Edle tuning (like a larger main jet)?

The Edelbrock has no main jet, only the needle is replaceable. Do you know which needle is in your Eddie? Have you tried adjusting the needle height with the external adjuster?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.