PIG owners looking for a replacment, look here!!

18 replies to this topic
  • TriFire

Posted November 21, 2007 - 04:28 PM

1100cc
EFI
E-start

Maybe not a pig but a Rino :thumbsup:

http://www.motorcycl...eID=3468&Page=1

• breweryrat

Posted November 21, 2007 - 04:52 PM

Bad ass bike. I just rode one a few days ago. Its a rocket!

1200cc by the way. Trippy Conti air shock in the rear.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 21, 2007 - 05:01 PM

Too bad it isn't a dirt bike......

• TriFire

Posted November 21, 2007 - 05:20 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• hondacrf150f1

Posted November 21, 2007 - 07:26 PM

Whats it cost? $12 or $15 Grand:bonk:

• Owyhee

Posted November 21, 2007 - 07:34 PM

Whats it cost? $12 or $15 Grand:bonk:

Save your pennies.

MSRP: $19,990

"O"

• BBA

Posted November 22, 2007 - 05:55 AM

As a former BMW owner (Dakar) let me just say that anytime you take ANY of the bikes offroad that have those three little letters (BMW) and lay it down, fall over or in the worst case a "yardsale" tumble you might as well take a mortgage out on your home because it's not going to be cheap to fix by no means! $20k for an Enduro?? For that price I can buy a nice Plated XR650R, along with it a 450x and STILL have money left over for a nice trailer and cheap truck to pull it with. I dont know about you guys but Im not rich enough to take one of those bikes out and beat the hell out of it on a regular basis!

• Thirdear1

Posted November 22, 2007 - 01:08 PM

hey, i'll tell you what , traded my brother for a 1100gs cause he owed me some money, turned out to be the worst trade ever, had to smack the starter with a hammer just to get her going, and it rode like a street bike converted to a moon walker, ugh!!!! only the honda's for me, what i grew up on.......

• philipstjohn

Posted November 22, 2007 - 03:48 PM

As a former BMW owner (Dakar) let me just say that anytime you take ANY of the bikes offroad that have those three little letters (BMW) and lay it down, fall over or in the worst case a "yardsale" tumble you might as well take a mortgage out on your home because it's not going to be cheap to fix by no means! $20k for an Enduro?? For that price I can buy a nice Plated XR650R, along with it a 450x and STILL have money left over for a nice trailer and cheap truck to pull it with. I dont know about you guys but Im not rich enough to take one of those bikes out and beat the hell out of it on a regular basis!

Or 2 New XR650R's, set up perfectly? I do not get it either- but I loved to drive the BMW 5 series of my parents- hard to get the tires to loose traction... a fun ride!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Timmerz

Posted November 22, 2007 - 07:09 PM

"The dominant desert machine over the past decade has been Honda's XR650R, which has 27.8 degrees of rake and 4.3 inches of trail for comparison, and the Honda's wheelbase is more than five inches shorter."

Mmmmmm, boy....that's gotta feel good to all the BRP riders reading the test, wouldn't you say?

• smicer

Posted November 22, 2007 - 09:38 PM

well..this is a cut and paste from somewhere...

so you've seen,heard all bout the great things riding a BMW GS...what more the HP2...

but here is something you mite not consider to go thru...

Posted Image

That's engine oil underneath the HP2. Crossing the logs, he came down hard on the skid plate. It was pushed up into the sump pan cracking it. On HP2's, R1200GS/GSA there is no frame under the engine. The skid plate mounts to the bottom of the engine through isolation bolts which are supposed to prevent this. Sure would hate to have this happen 50 miles from nowhere.

nothing very deadly terrain...jus a minor log crossing did this..
here is the log crossing on a KTM..the very same log..

Posted Image

here's the say..
The Touratech bash plate is hard mounted so if you hit it you end up with a ruined engine case and you shell out nine grand for a new HP-2 motor.

Apparently, the BMW bash plate is rubber mounted so it will rip off.

Niether is ideal, but spending money on the Touratech item does not sound like an upgrade

• EddieTNT

Posted November 23, 2007 - 08:38 AM

420 lbs , final drives that break and vulnerable cylinder heads all for only $20,000!!! I'll take two!

• Timmerz

Posted November 23, 2007 - 11:57 AM

420 lbs , final drives that break and vulnerable cylinder heads all for only $20,000!!! I'll take two!

Sure doesn't seem to make sense, does it? I think BMW is pretty-much aiming them at the richer side of the motorcycle enthusiast market that would be slamming the fire-road aspect of our sport, not the trail-riding aspect....the guys that are already riding Beemers that wanted a little bit of off-road action they woudn't take their cruisers on...I'd say the HP2 is right up that alley with the wheelbase and rake they built into it....

• Billahjack

Posted November 23, 2007 - 05:24 PM

Didn't you guys see that show where Ewan McGregor took a BMW around the world? Its made for more of that kind of riding, minus the river crossings where they drowned it.

Anyway, a 420lbs/$20k dirt bike isn't made to take off sweet jumps, bash the engine case and valve covers on rocks, or tumble end over end cuz you flipped it on a hill climb.

• quicksilver

Posted November 26, 2007 - 10:26 AM

Two big issues; the valve covers get trashed when the bike simply gets placed on it's side....(oh, that will never happen...) and the seat is W-I-D-E. (I sat on one) So even IF you are 6'4" you have to have proportionate legs to reach the ground at the 36" seat height is actually an understatement.....you're 36" up and your legs are "straddled" like a horse saddle.

• ric58

Posted November 27, 2007 - 03:59 PM

yep thats sheeeet pot full of $$ but ya that would b cool

• ThunderChicken

Posted November 27, 2007 - 04:21 PM

Sure doesn't seem to make sense, does it? I think BMW is pretty-much aiming them at the richer side of the motorcycle enthusiast market that would be slamming the fire-road aspect of our sport, not the trail-riding aspect....the guys that are already riding Beemers that wanted a little bit of off-road action they woudn't take their cruisers on...I'd say the HP2 is right up that alley with the wheelbase and rake they built into it....

These are the same people who are likely to have Sierra Club memberships and sell us all up the river into giving up our trails open riding for riding fire and jeep roads.

I'm not planning on welcoming them into the sport with open arms unless they start with an enduro first.

Riding one of these BMWs (and this applies to most of the "adventure" crowd) is the motorcycle = to all those rich ******** who buy Land Rovers, put safarri racks on them and go on organized Sierra Club tours.

If you are new to offroad and go buy a $20k motorcycle to ride dirt roads, you have something seriously ***en wrong.

• BBA

Posted November 28, 2007 - 04:58 AM

If you are new to offroad and go buy a $20k motorcycle to ride dirt roads, you have something seriously ***en wrong.

That pretty much sums it up I think:thinking:

• dmvmechanics

Posted November 30, 2007 - 11:07 PM

yeah, no kidding. i don't know if i can even afford to sit on one.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.