triple clamp disassembly

10 replies to this topic
  • 5valve

Posted November 21, 2007 - 02:53 PM

opened this thread, but need info from someone, who actually did it.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=575108

How to pull out the stem from lower clamp?
Not ment for bearing removal and rubber seal under bearing present.
Just want to anodize the bstard.
thx

• grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2007 - 03:19 PM

Use a press:

http://www.thumperta...282#post3370282

• todds924

Posted November 21, 2007 - 05:49 PM

5valve,

Before you go through all the trouble of removing the clamp, cast parts don't anodize well. Unless you are doing it in black, the clamps will not come out like you are expecting. Cast parts have too many pores in them and don't anodize like a machined part. It might be a good idea to talk to the anodizing shop before taking everything apart.

Clay

That is good to know!!!!!!!!!!

• 5valve

Posted November 22, 2007 - 12:03 AM

I am aware of anodizing not being good on cast alloy, so will give upper clamp a try, before stem removal, of course black.

Grayracer, I did use a press, but did not go. Why?
Funny me, didnt know about the wire clip being there and was forcing the stem out from the wrong side.
Luckily, I didnt exaggerate with force and now that i read the topic, can even see the thingy in there.
Presume, if using press correctly, no heating is necessary?

• steve 112

Posted November 22, 2007 - 05:15 AM

I didnt use any heat on mine ,apart or back together.If your not in a hurry to go ride it like i was.You could put the stem in the freezer for an hour to shrink it down.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 22, 2007 - 10:25 AM

Funny me, didnt know about the wire clip being there and was forcing the stem out from the wrong side.
Luckily, I didnt exaggerate with force and now that i read the topic, can even see the thingy in there.

Heating/freezing will make things easier, but using a press, it's not required. The anti-seize I mentioned is pretty important.

Make sure to read and understand the whole of a set of intsructions like the one I wrote about stem pressing before "pressing onward".

• todds924

Posted November 22, 2007 - 10:41 AM

I am aware of anodizing not being good on cast alloy, so will give upper clamp a try, before stem removal, of course black.

I like to use a piece of round steel with a hole in the middle of it that is larger than the stem diameter. You want to press only on the insides of the clamp. If you just chuck up the clamp in the press and start pressing, you will bend the clamp and the pressing force will not be centralized on the stem.

• 5valve

Posted November 23, 2007 - 06:03 AM

Is that correct positioning?
pic1
Please note, it is a '99 model, maybe theres sth diffrent?

Someone said, to cut the area above the wire circlip because it keeps the stem in place, up and down movement. Dont like that idea much.
Seems like the press from the pic has problems pushing stem out this way.
I used just the right size tube under the clamp.
Still have option for hydraulic press, but if I f*** up with precedue, sth will go bye bye, due to hydraulic strenght.

• grayracer513

Posted November 23, 2007 - 08:09 AM

Your setup looks OK.

The wire ring prevents the stem from moving farther up, or to look at it from the standpoint of it being assembled on the bike, it prevents the lower clamp and bearing from moving down on the stem. Same thing.

It will not interfere with the stem being pushed out the bottom, but you must allow clearance in the inside diameter of the tube you use under the clamp for the stem and its ring to slide into it.

The clamp is bored the size of the stem all the way through, but then at the bottom a small step is cut in the bore at a slightly larger size to allow the wire ring to slide up inside where it is protected against being disengaged by anything. When the ring hits the bottom of this step, it can no longer be pressed any farther in. It will, however, push right back out.

The screw press shown will probably require a great deal of effort to do this job, and a hydraulic is much more suitable. Expect to put about a ton on the stem to break it free.

• 5valve

Posted November 23, 2007 - 08:21 AM

Thanks, that relieves me of doubts, tube is correct diameter, few mm's bigger than the hole.
Took upper clamp for anodize today, he'll do it black, but expects more like graphite gray.
If it turns out satisfying, will do the lower also.

• 5valve

Posted December 08, 2007 - 02:44 PM

Hydraulic press did it, no problem.
Sand blasted, anodized it, lower became really black, upper came out more grayish.
Suppose they are diffrent material.
Anyhow like the finished product.
upper
lower

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.