questions about 04 450f

5 replies to this topic
  • ascitone

Posted November 21, 2007 - 09:40 AM

I bought A 04 yz450 recently (i know not the best choice for trail, but was a good deal) anyways I have a few questions. I'd like to be able to ride slower so I can hit up some tighter trails things I think that would help would be
1) flywheel, and Larger rear sprocket. What size weight for flywheel? And recommendation of a few brands.
2) would I lose too much on the top end if I went with say a 51 tooth sprocket with the weighted flywheel?
main Issue I have is the bike runs good around 1/4 throttle and above in first and second,can't get smooth throttle in first and second below say 1/4 throttle.:ride: but its like a new bike in third and forth throttle is nice and smooth( can roll on the gas, where as in first and second its like no response until 1/8 to 1/4 throttle.) Is this a jetting issue?:thumbsup:
Thanks in advance for any and all responses

• Ga426owner

Posted November 21, 2007 - 10:39 AM

I bought A 04 yz450 recently (i know not the best choice for trail, but was a good deal) anyways I have a few questions. I'd like to be able to ride slower so I can hit up some tighter trails things I think that would help would be
1) flywheel, and Larger rear sprocket. What size weight for flywheel? And recommendation of a few brands.
2) would I lose too much on the top end if I went with say a 51 tooth sprocket with the weighted flywheel?
main Issue I have is the bike runs good around 1/4 throttle and above in first and second,can't get smooth throttle in first and second below say 1/4 throttle.:ride: but its like a new bike in third and forth throttle is nice and smooth( can roll on the gas, where as in first and second its like no response until 1/8 to 1/4 throttle.) Is this a jetting issue?:thumbsup:
Thanks in advance for any and all responses

yes a flywheel weight will help you 8 oz and up ZipTy Racing/Stealthy/DRD make these
51 may be too large - depends on terrain - a 50 may be better but depends how much shifting you want to do -
I only use the longest lasting sprockets known....IronMan Stainless Steel
These have a bog at beginning of throttle - ZipTy Racing Carb mod fixes this permanently

• Unibomber

Posted November 21, 2007 - 11:25 AM

I had an '04 and had the same issues. I put a larger rear sprocket on and it helps, BUT it still delivers a ton of torque to that 1st gear and I found myself not being able to control it very much in the tight rocky uphills. I wish I would have put on a flywheel weight. :thumbsup: That is a must. I hope it works out, but with only 4 gears on a MX transmission, theres only so much you can do for trails....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • trevorchappell

Posted November 22, 2007 - 06:44 PM

forget about fly weights and get a rekluse clutch i have an 04 and race hare scrambles the rekluse lets me ride the bike a gear high where the power is more mellow and the best part is the bike will not stall.

• hdkawi

Posted May 09, 2011 - 06:14 PM

forget about fly weights and get a rekluse clutch i have an 04 and race hare scrambles the rekluse lets me ride the bike a gear high where the power is more mellow and the best part is the bike will not stall.

i see this is an old post anyone useing this clutch have not heard of this have been out loop for a while just got a 2003 yz 450f and going to change the sprockets to 13-52 for better trail riding

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2011 - 06:45 AM

Search the forum for "rekluse". Lots of more current info.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.