1988 NX 650 opinions?

10 replies to this topic
  • SteveON

Posted November 21, 2007 - 07:53 AM

I've found a 1988 NX 650 locally for $1000. it seems to be in good drivable condition and everything works. It has around 20,000 miles on it. I am wanting to use it primarily onroad and occasional trips down some fireroads. Has anyone had any experience with one of these bikes and what should I look for before purchasing?
Thanks for your help!
SteveON

• martinfan30

Posted November 21, 2007 - 08:37 AM

I've found a 1988 NX 650 locally for $1000. it seems to be in good drivable condition and everything works. It has around 20,000 miles on it. I am wanting to use it primarily onroad and occasional trips down some fireroads. Has anyone had any experience with one of these bikes and what should I look for before purchasing?
Thanks for your help!
SteveON

buy it!!! easy to work on, many parts/mods avail. and they look/ride very nice! get it. pretty rare and thats a good price.:thumbsup:

• Manchu

Posted November 21, 2007 - 10:29 AM

Ohh yeah!! For a thousand, and everything works?!?! I'd snatch that right on up. :thumbsup:

I've been trying to keep an eye out for one for the last couple of years...no dice. Like martinfan said, they're getting especially rare nowadays.

• husky123

Posted November 21, 2007 - 10:38 AM

I love me an NX too!

• SteveON

Posted November 21, 2007 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I pulled the trigger and now I'm the proud owner of a 1988 NX650. There was one discretion on the bike. The rear turn signals do not work for some reason, the front ones work fine. It's also missing the front windshield. Hopefully something that won't be too hard to find?
SteveON

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husky123

Posted November 21, 2007 - 03:15 PM

Maybe just a relay or bad connection for the turn signals? Probably something easy. Congrats on a great sled!:thumbsup:

• dmvmechanics

Posted November 21, 2007 - 03:37 PM

check the bulbs as well. you should post some pics of your new find.

• SteveON

Posted November 21, 2007 - 04:18 PM

I hope to get out and work on the bike tomorrow if the weather's not too bad. We have a cold front coming through tonight. I primarily want the bike to ride the back roads here in Texas crusing around @ 75 mph or so. Eventually want to clean her up and make her look good. I found some parts at bike bandit this evening and placed the missing front windshield on order. I was suprised it was still in stock. I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow as well.
I also got the maintenace/repair manual so I can start reading. I'm sure an oil change, chain lube, gas tank clean is in order first. Not sure what else I should be concerned with?
.....let the adventure begin!!
SteveON

• Manchu

Posted November 21, 2007 - 06:41 PM

I hope to get out and work on the bike tomorrow if the weather's not too bad. We have a cold front coming through tonight. I primarily want the bike to ride the back roads here in Texas crusing around @ 75 mph or so. Eventually want to clean her up and make her look good. I found some parts at bike bandit this evening and placed the missing front windshield on order. I was suprised it was still in stock. I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow as well.
I also got the maintenace/repair manual so I can start reading. I'm sure an oil change, chain lube, gas tank clean is in order first. Not sure what else I should be concerned with?
.....let the adventure begin!!
SteveON

Big congrats, bro!! :ride:

Sounds like you're on track getting it squared away. :thumbsup:

• SteveON

Posted November 23, 2007 - 01:46 PM

Went and purchased most of the items I need to do a good maintenance job today. Found everything but the air filter. Found that on Bike Bandit and ordered it. Are they pretty good about getting ordered items out quickly? I ordered the front windshield from them Wed and it still showing "ON ORDER" status. I found a local guy who will repaint all the plastics and tank back to the original color for $250. I will repair all the cracks before he gets the parts. Of course then I'll have to try and find the original decals (or something close). A little touch up on the frame and engine and it should look pretty good. I am thinking about repainting the exhaust pipes but not sure anything would stick well enough? They are a little rusty at the joints and have a road grime baked on them. Any suggestions?
SteveON

• Manchu

Posted November 23, 2007 - 02:48 PM

On my muffler and header pipe I'll usually just take it off and give a good scrubbing with some steel wool in hot soapy water. Take it all the way down to the metal, more or less. Then let it all dry real good and spray a few coats of that hi-temp spray paint, rated at like 750-degrees or something. Looks brand new.

I think eventually, though, I may just have the header pipe ceramic coated, or replace it with a stainless pipe, whichever's cheapest.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.