Is my starter motor dying/dead?

9 replies to this topic
  • Looks450

Posted November 21, 2007 - 03:02 AM

When i hit the electric leg, the starter motor turns very very slowly, very much like when you have an almost dead battery.

1. THe bike runs fine when kick started
2. THe battery is holding its charge fine.

Because the battery still has its 12 volts and doesn't make the tic tic tic sound that a flat one makes, i thought that the only logical solution is that the starter motor is buggered.

I have had trouble lately with the starter motor not being strong enough to turn the crank past TDC, and i would have to lean on the kick starter to get it to move.

Would i need to get a new starter motor, or is there more testing that i should do to find a possible problem.

PS. I hate kickstarting on a hill!!!

Cheers
Looks

bike is 07 wr450

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 21, 2007 - 09:14 AM

I can't answer your question directly but I have a friend who already had a starter failure on his 07' :ride:

I have not had any issues with mine to date :thumbsup:

• WR_Dave

Posted November 22, 2007 - 05:03 AM

Make sure to check all connections to make sure they are clean and tight. Someone a while back had a thread going about the plastic starter bushings going out and causing the starter to drag. I haven't done a search but it may be worth looking. I don't know what the free run speed and current draw should be for one of these starters , maybe someone else has an idea about that. Good Luck --- WR Dave

• Mutu

Posted November 22, 2007 - 08:34 AM

Hey Looksey!!!

I got a new brush kit for mine, the old ones were worn out from trying to turn over high comp piston and hotcams (with no success).

Drop the oil, pull off the left case, then you can disconnect the starter motor. You can pull the guts out of the starter motor and check / clean it out mate.

I forget how much it cost for the new brushes, but it wasn't much at all.

• rich1167

Posted November 22, 2007 - 11:30 AM

I had this issue with my 05 450. It was the battery. Has your battery ever been dead? If it has just get a new one. My 05 manual states 12.8 VDC is completly charged. 12.0 to 12.7 it needs charging. Below 12 it needs to be replaced. Get out your manual and go through the testing proceduers. Also if you have to charge it go by the book or you will wreck it. I always keep mine on a tender when its in the garage.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bicyclebob

Posted November 22, 2007 - 08:43 PM

You don't actually have to pull the cover to get the motor out. Remove the head pipe and the oil line that runs up the right side of the cylinder. There is just enough room to pull the starter out.
Be sure and use silver solder when you replace the brushes or you will just have to take it apart and do it again. :thumbsup:

• Mutu

Posted November 22, 2007 - 09:47 PM

You don't actually have to pull the cover to get the motor out. Remove the head pipe and the oil line that runs up the right side of the cylinder. There is just enough room to pull the starter out.
Be sure and use silver solder when you replace the brushes or you will just have to take it apart and do it again. :busted:

I couldn't get mine out with out pulling the cover off. I just followed the manual when I couldn't get it out! :ride:

I will use the silver solder, thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

• SXP

Posted November 22, 2007 - 09:50 PM

Are the brushes Yamaha OEM, or after market? Thanks.

• Mutu

Posted November 22, 2007 - 09:55 PM

Are the brushes Yamaha OEM, or after market? Thanks.

OEM.
I got them in front of me, 5TJ-81801-00 ('05 WR450F)

They got a ton more meat than what I got in my starter motor at the moment! :thumbsup:

• SXP

Posted November 22, 2007 - 10:12 PM

OEM.
I got them in front of me, 5TJ-81801-00 ('05 WR450F)

They got a ton more meat than what I got in my starter motor at the moment! :thumbsup:

Thanks. How much were they?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.