I think my Yamaha dealer is crazy. WR450 street legal

29 replies to this topic
  • cixelsyd

Posted November 20, 2007 - 11:40 PM

The local Yamaha dealer yesterday told me that there would be a new WR450 dual purpose bike in 2008, having 6 speeds and fuel injection. I have search the internet for this info and can't find anything. Any of you DRZers know anything about this?

• redswr

Posted November 20, 2007 - 11:51 PM

not that i've heard... they made the 250 into a DS and a SM version but the thing looks ugly and they plugged it up even more from the factory.

• cixelsyd

Posted November 21, 2007 - 12:12 AM

Thats what I have been seeing, a 250 not a 450. Why is it that dealers know less about motorcycles than the riders? This aplies to salespeople as well as mechanics.

• redswr

Posted November 21, 2007 - 12:16 AM

i don't know... its the same here too. if yamaha just would put a plate and a SM kit on their 450 i'd be the first to buy it.

• William1

Posted November 21, 2007 - 03:17 AM

I have heard about it too, but it is not a real WR. This DP bike is a real DP bike, about 60 pounds heavier than a WR. Sort of like a DRZ compared to a RMZ

I am lucky, I ordered a 08 WR250 a week ago, my dealer is getting it plated for me, all I'll have to do is put a DP road kit on it.
Who knows, maybe a 2009 wr450 converted into a SM will be next years object of attention for me.

• DenniS4R

Posted November 21, 2007 - 05:37 AM

I heard no rumors about the 250 before its release. But I still hear a lot of rumors about the 450. I hope its true. A WR450SM would be hard to pass up. I like the DRZ, but I hate being the slowest SM on the block.

• William1

Posted November 21, 2007 - 05:43 AM

What I heard is nothing about a WR450SM, just the DP bike. Engine is detuned further. Sort of like the DRZ line.
To get a WR450SM, all you need to a the WR450F, plated and SM converted. You guys will hate me but had I known how easy it was to plate a WR, I might of gone this route instead of the DRZ.

• DaveI

Posted November 21, 2007 - 06:28 AM

How do the WR engines go as far as maintenace intervals? I'd look at buying a WR and street legalizing when I come back in a few years (For dirt use) but for me there's a point where the amount of money and maintenance exceeds my willingness to spend the time and money...I would be classified as a serious recreational rider so justifying the time and expense of motors that need torn down every 50 hours or so is not something I'm willing to do...It seems to me that what the (Dirt) market really needs is a lighter (much) DRZ with the dependability and relatively low maintenance of the DRZ engine but with a lighter chassis. The Street Legal KTMs and Huskies definitely have my attention but the KTMs I know (from friends) need much more attention and as far as the Huskies go unless you live in California or a few other states you'll be driving a fair tick to the Husky dealer...

• William1

Posted November 21, 2007 - 06:50 AM

Extensive main is the cost of owning nearly any 'hot' dirt bike. No matter the brand.
The weight and performance comes at the expense of durability. To make a bike as tough as a DRZ, well, you have to buy a DRZ. Hence the potential WR450DP being as heavy as it is going to be, detuned as well. At the least, being the is going to be a brand new model, I would not jump on it for a few years till issues are discovered and dealt with and the aftermarket comes up to speed.
For me, I only ride about 2,000 miles a year so the durability or a 'race' bike on the street would not be a problem. So for me potentially, a WR450F converted to SM duty would be ok, esp. now that I know how easy it is to plate one in VA.

• DaveI

Posted November 21, 2007 - 07:14 AM

Which is why I'm thinking that when I come back to the U.S I might (just might) do what would be the unthinkable here on "THUMPERTalk"...And go BACK to a 2 SMOKE for my off-roading. And keep the DRZ for a short-haul adventure bike...
KTM 300 2 stroke being the most likely pick...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ajd187

Posted November 21, 2007 - 08:29 AM

How do the WR engines go as far as maintenace intervals?

They actually aren't too bad. There are guys pushing several hundred hours on these motors, so they don't need to be torn down a often as the other racing four strokes.

It's not a DRZ, for sure, but it's not a Honda or KTM either.

• bobbyward

Posted November 21, 2007 - 08:52 AM

Which is why I'm thinking that when I come back to the U.S I might (just might) do what would be the unthinkable here on "THUMPERTalk"...And go BACK to a 2 SMOKE for my off-roading. And keep the DRZ for a short-haul adventure bike...
KTM 300 2 stroke being the most likely pick...

i have a drz400e and a dr 650
and neither of those to me seem like a real dirt bike
i raced 2 strokes for years and today i still have my wr 250 yamaha and
it feels like a 125 after getting off the 400 which is converted to street
and the 650 is a tank..................... if either falls down if your tired you would need a crain to pick it up , i do see good thing in the 4 stroke but
for real off road and racing the heavy bikes are the pitts , yes i know the
yamaha wrs and the honda cr's and such are light weight but you pay a price for the durablity too , the 2 strokes were cheap to ride and maintain also plus there lite weights , i doubt i ever sell my 250 as 2 strokes are also a thing of the past, the 2 stroke performance is great also, just put a dash of oil in the gas and ride ...........................
but thats just my 2 cents

happy thanksgiving to each and all

• punisher14

Posted November 21, 2007 - 11:05 AM

the new wr250x is fuel injected and is said to make as much power as the drz400. this months super moto racer mag.

• Redrodent

Posted November 21, 2007 - 11:38 AM

I like the DRZ, but I hate being the slowest SM on the block.

We can fix that. Got a credit card? :thumbsup:

• MotoChris521

Posted November 22, 2007 - 06:10 AM

the new wr250x is fuel injected and is said to make as much power as the drz400. this months super moto racer mag.

A SM/S or an E ? And at what 18,000 rpm ?:thumbsup:

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted November 22, 2007 - 06:28 AM

it wont come any where close to a drz.

even real yz250f makes 30-32hp stock.thats with open pipe etc.

• gialinn

Posted November 22, 2007 - 06:42 AM

2 questions. Someone metioned a ktm300. I would love to get that bike, but it is not steet legal is it? (please tell me it is).

#2 a battery and starter weigh about 10 lbs or so. Lights can be done at another 8-10. WHy do the drz's and such weigh so fricken much. Almost 40-50lbs more. DO they really remove that much metal?

• stringburner

Posted November 22, 2007 - 07:09 AM

2 questions. Someone metioned a ktm300. I would love to get that bike, but it is not steet legal is it? (please tell me it is).

#2 a battery and starter weigh about 10 lbs or so. Lights can be done at another 8-10. WHy do the drz's and such weigh so fricken much. Almost 40-50lbs more. DO they really remove that much metal?

A KTM 300 XC, XC-W, or otherwise isn't going to be street legal in California no matter what you do. You can pull it off in some states, but California wouldn't be one of them.

Why do DRZ's weigh more than what? A KTM 300? 4-strokes weigh more than 2-strokes. There's more parts. If you look for the other thread going now, a DRZ E is in the same weight class as all the other comparable machines.

• Pounce

Posted November 22, 2007 - 07:24 PM

Move to Australia guys, the WR range has been street legal here since forever.

• punisher14

Posted November 26, 2007 - 10:54 AM

supposedly this is a new motor with titanium valves and fuel injection.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.