street legal pitbike

40 replies to this topic
  • stixdz

Posted November 20, 2007 - 12:52 PM

i was reading the thread about pit bike lights and it made me wonder if i could get my pit bike street legal. i have searched and found nothing but that in some states you can. so my question is can i get my pit bike "street legal" in my state? what do i have to do other than get the light kit example: http://www.planetmin...t-up-66414.html and a metal gas tank (do i?)

i have a 2006 ssr c4 and it would be nice to be able to drive around my town.

thanks for the help, :thumbsup:

tom

• Outlaw Powersports

Posted November 20, 2007 - 01:15 PM

You need to contact the DMV in your State and see what their requirements are.

• deputyperk

Posted November 20, 2007 - 01:28 PM

contact a title company in texas, send them your MSO, rubbing of your vin, and copy of your licesense, then they send you a clean texas title with no offroad only tagging. you then take then to you local dmv along with an inspection of your bike and violla. already done it and been there on other dirtbikes.

• Bluemarlin04

Posted November 20, 2007 - 10:00 PM

contact a title company in texas, send them your MSO, rubbing of your vin, and copy of your licesense, then they send you a clean texas title with no offroad only tagging. you then take then to you local dmv along with an inspection of your bike and violla. already done it and been there on other dirtbikes.

if possible do you know the company name? thats genius I would pay at least 5 bills to beat the hassle of hawaii laws. Good info.

• deputyperk

Posted November 20, 2007 - 11:10 PM

ill find it out by looking through my files tonite. its on the tip of my tounge, ill send you a pm when i get dig up there info bud! i had a cr500 street legal, kx125, crf150f, xr200, and a yamaha BW all with street legal titles!

• stixdz

Posted November 20, 2007 - 11:27 PM

ill find it out by looking through my files tonite. its on the tip of my tounge, ill send you a pm when i get dig up there info bud! i had a cr500 street legal, kx125, crf150f, xr200, and a yamaha BW all with street legal titles!

i would like to know also.:thumbsup:

• Bluemarlin04

Posted November 21, 2007 - 01:03 AM

i would like to know also.:thumbsup:

that sht would seriously be awesome.

• reynolds_brad

Posted November 21, 2007 - 01:03 PM

Its doable. im in CA and all my pitbikes are street legal. Some of them can even do 80mph.

Posted Image

• s10racer4

Posted November 21, 2007 - 01:23 PM

let me know also... would it help if im from texas and still have relatives living there?

• micropilot

Posted November 21, 2007 - 04:06 PM

Here are your requirements:

http://www.msf-usa.o...007-MSFlogo.pdf

• Agitator

Posted November 21, 2007 - 09:36 PM

^that is definitely correct.

also, don't take the DMV seriously. I was told many false things by mis-informed employees over the years. Everyone (on forums, at dmv, police, title companies, etc...) told me I could not get a title for my bike and that it could never run on the road. Well- I found a way to get the paperwork in order and my bike is now plated and fully street legal. In otherwords, don't give up if someone tells you you can't register the bike.

I hope you do get it road legal. That'll be sweet!

• fifty dude

Posted November 21, 2007 - 09:59 PM

What are the requirements to have it legal?

• stixdz

Posted November 21, 2007 - 10:01 PM

^that is definitely correct.

also, don't take the DMV seriously. I was told many false things by mis-informed employees over the years. Everyone (on forums, at dmv, police, title companies, etc...) told me I could not get a title for my bike and that it could never run on the road. Well- I found a way to get the paperwork in order and my bike is now plated and fully street legal. In otherwords, don't give up if someone tells you you can't register the bike.

I hope you do get it road legal. That'll be sweet!

so once you get the title from this company,and insured all you need to do is get ur bike inspected and you can get a plate? (after you add all the necessary items) anything else?

• deputyperk

Posted November 21, 2007 - 11:38 PM

not really, thats about it, most states only require 2 mirrors, dot titares and a a tail light/headlight and a horn
astank
for a long time i thought a metal gas tank was needed but i was wrong, the ama website does law by law for each state.

• yamaha racing 230

Posted November 22, 2007 - 08:04 AM

u might want to consder i bigger motor like a lifan 140 if ure on a budget right now my 110 is pulling 15/32 gearing i cant even hit the revlimitter in 4th gear and i guess the bike topping at around 50 mph. and first gear is still useable when i get my bigger motor im gunaa gear it even higher so im running lower rpms when im on the road.

• s10racer4

Posted November 22, 2007 - 08:10 AM

i love how one of the laws is "brakes"... we are not in the stone age i think every motor vehicle has brakes of some sort

• deputyperk

Posted November 22, 2007 - 08:34 AM

it refers to other things like custom motorcycles, belive it or not some of those choppers only use back or front brakes, not both

• Agitator

Posted November 22, 2007 - 11:11 AM

As far as the rules go, the basic jist of it is that you need (in order) a title, then insurance, then registration, then inspection. You can fudge the inspection, but I would not recommend it. If you ride w/o a sticker, you'll get in trouble when pulled-over.

My situation with titling was unusual. Though I have a lot of experience with the titling process, you can actually prove you own the bike, so you don't need to jump through the same kind of hoops. In otherwords, all you need to do is get a "clean" title that doesn't say "offroad only" on it.

As far as being street legal for inspection, this varies from state to state. Most all states require dot tires (at inspection at least), and a headlight (hi/lo beam), horn, license plate light, brake light, tail light, at least 1 mirror, and a few other things. States like the one I'm in also require turn signals and a few other things.

THe best way to find-out what you need to add/modify is to visit an inspection station and ask 'em what they want you to have. This can save you some time and money, because some places aren't as "fussy" as the DMV rules themselves. Ie; they don't check for everything that is listed in the inspection criteria.

Good luck! It's worth going through the steps, imo. Tooling around on the roads and not worrying about cops is a real treat!

~Tator

• stixdz

Posted November 22, 2007 - 10:12 PM

is there more to it than that, this list seems to be in complete. what about engine requirements?? and lisence i herd under a certain size all you need is driver lisence ?

this thread has been more than helpful. Just need to know how to get that title...:thumbsup:

• s10racer4

Posted November 24, 2007 - 01:37 PM

i love washington cause we dont need insurance to ride a motorcycle... its a good idea to have it but i wont need it cause ill be in the neighborhood just riding to the trails

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.