2008 WR 450 Exhaust Systems - FMF, DrD, Pro Circuit, Yoshimura

41 replies to this topic
  • Korby

Posted December 03, 2007 - 08:44 PM

I just picked up a brand new 07 WR450 from Adventure Motorsports in Twin Falls, ID. They claimed they have the best setup including a custom in house modified LEak jet. I picked up the bike last friday and broke it in on Sat. The bike ripped and had more bottom end than my friends identical WR with teh White Brothers pipe, jet and AIS removal kit. HIs had a little more top end but mine hadn't even been pushed yet while brake in. I will be picking up the FMF power core Ti that was ordered during initial purchase this week. After riding the bike stock(uncorked) I am sure that a pipe isn't necessary but it is coming none the less. I will let you all know what I think after next weekend. A properly setup bike absolutely rips from the dealer and shows the difference from a dealer that knows and one who just sells!

• phm14

Posted May 01, 2008 - 03:27 PM

I've had great performance and service from DRD. Will buy again.:eek:

• chevytrkn1

Posted May 01, 2008 - 05:52 PM

i had the fmf powercore on my 07 450, did not notice any change in the way it ran. now have complete DR.D setup. nice looking, runs much stronger and with quite core sounds great

• Korby

Posted May 02, 2008 - 07:34 AM

Well I have been running the FMF pipe for a few months now and love it. The fit and finish of the FMF is awsome and the look is the best in my opinion. The way the pipe is shorter and stays high, tight and most importantly light against the bike is better than most. NOw the stuff that is actually important.... Sound is a little louder than the White brothers Al Pro, but not as loud as a stock KTM. I kept the screen in obviously so it is park legal. When I first installed it I had popping at higher RPM, but after re-sealing the mid pipe to the header it went away. It does affect jetting a little compared to the uncorked stock pipe, but not much. I live and ride at higher elevation. The bike ran so well with the uncorked stock pipe that the only reason i could recommend this pipe is because of weight, looks and sound. most of you would agree these are not the main reasons to spend 300 bones. good luck to all.:eek:

• KJ790

Posted May 02, 2008 - 08:30 AM

I bought a 2008 Yamaha WR450 over the weekend and I have all the basic mods done now after my first trip, but I am looking into getting an aftermarket exhaust system sometime in the near future.
I've done some research on the exhaust pipes for the 2008 WR450 and I'd like to get some opinions on which one is the best one to go with.

1. FMF 4.1 Complete system w/ Power Bomb header - $800
2. DrD Dubach Racing Exhaust - $467
3. Pro Circuit System - $750
4. Yoshimura Titanium System - $850

Obviously for the prices Doug Dubach has got the best deals by far. I have heard really great things about the DrD systems too. I want to know which one you would go with and why. I know the DrD is a great price in comparison, but what if they were all the same price, then which one would you go with?
Also I don't race, so I am not overly concerned about weight, so is my best bet to just go with an aluminum/stainless system because they get the same power output (which is what I am leaning towards) or is there any performance differences in the other ones (titanium or carbon)...becuase if people are paying nearly twice as much for the difference of a couple pounds and are not seriously competitive racers....I think they are wasting their money.

Thanks for the feedback!

Your prices are a little off. You can't compare full titanium systems and stainless systems for price. From motosport.com:
FMF stainless factory 4.1/powerbomb: $579
Dr. D stainless: $499
Pro Circuit T-4 GP: $674
Yoshimura RS2 comp. stainless: $499

That being said, I have tried 3 of the 4 (I haven't tried the Yoshimura system) and I prefer the performance of the FMF system.

• wanawakeboard

Posted May 30, 2008 - 09:29 PM

Im using the white brothers xcr pipe its forestry approved and I had it tested and with the spark arrester in (its removable for race day) It barely meets noise requirements in the park, had it tested at carnagie. pipe is pretty quiet until you gas it but if you ride mellow its very quiet. I love the pipe, made a huge difference in power throughout the whole range, even after I did all the other free modshttp://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/10/214/11215/DPITEM/Dirt-Bike-Motocross-Complete-Exhaust-Systems-White-Brothers-XCR-Slip-On-Exhaust-with-Mid-Pipe.aspx?SiteID=CSE_GBase&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=11215

• muddza

Posted May 30, 2008 - 09:49 PM

Am having the dealer fit an 08 YZ shorty complete system to my new 08 WR that I pick up mid week next week. Dealer is uncorking bike and jetting to suit pipe using the YZ tapered needle... Will let you know how it performs once I pick up but is a lot cheaper than going the aftermarket pipe route and still remains 96db legal...

IT

• swede426

Posted May 31, 2008 - 09:33 AM

Am having the dealer fit an 08 YZ shorty complete system to my new 08 WR that I pick up mid week next week. Dealer is uncorking bike and jetting to suit pipe using the YZ tapered needle... Will let you know how it performs once I pick up but is a lot cheaper than going the aftermarket pipe route and still remains 96db legal...

IT

You guys that have'nt changed from stock yet but thinking of it, cut the stock up and deal with it til you get the sound and power as you want.
It's fun and you learn a lot at the same time.
It's easy to make a quick opened exhaust and after that you can try out different pipes, spark arrestors and whatever you want to try.
At the end you get exactly the sound and performance you want and no one has the exact same exhaust, I guarantee it:thumbsup:

• Strattos

Posted June 01, 2008 - 10:52 PM

SJMC_DON, how much of a difference did the different tip make? And was it most noticeable in the upper rev range or the bottom end?

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 02, 2008 - 03:11 PM

SJMC_DON, how much of a difference did the different tip make? And was it most noticeable in the upper rev range or the bottom end?

Bottom end... note, I have since removed the tip altogether, I just run the screen and the end cone now, the bike will still pass sound check of 98db and the power is better all over.

Having said all of this, I am now looking at the Q4 as I just rode a buddies 07 with this pipe and know it's better than a modified stock can, at least to the degree I have modified mine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Strattos

Posted June 26, 2008 - 02:45 PM

I've just upgraded to an 08 450 from the 426 and one of the first thing's i've noticed is I keep having to upshift to keep it in the meat of the power. Magic mid-range but it flattens off a bit early compared to my 426.

I've removed snorkel from airbox, replaced stock exhaust tip with GTYR and got rid of stock throttle stop.

Is this fixable with a new pipe or the grey wire mod? Don't want to go down the path of cams.

Or is it just something i'm going to have to get used to.

Was considering the FMF Powercore 4 until I read chevytrkn1's comments above.

• swede426

Posted June 26, 2008 - 06:28 PM

I've just upgraded to an 08 450 from the 426 and one of the first thing's i've noticed is I keep having to upshift to keep it in the meat of the power. Magic mid-range but it flattens off a bit early compared to my 426.

I've removed snorkel from airbox, replaced stock exhaust tip with GTYR and got rid of stock throttle stop.

Is this fixable with a new pipe or the grey wire mod? Don't want to go down the path of cams.

Or is it just something i'm going to have to get used to.

Was considering the FMF Powercore 4 until I read chevytrkn1's comments above.

If your happy with the midrange power maybe you could gear up instead...?

• Demo_Slug

Posted June 26, 2008 - 10:00 PM

Is this fixable with a new pipe or the grey wire mod? .

yes. and yes. the grey wire was a huge improvment on my 08WR. the engine just wouldn't make any more power over 8K rpm. it was very noticable on long smooth hillclimbs. I'd pin it and it would just stop gaining speed at 8K. once the grey wire was disconnected, it would just keep pulling. :thumbsup:

• RSAthump

Posted June 27, 2008 - 07:03 AM

Anyone have or tested the FMF Factory 4 carbon slip on? Is it worth while going for the lighter pipe?

• Korby

Posted December 29, 2008 - 12:36 PM

I agree with most of these posts as the stock exhaust pipe uncorked from the dealer worked better than my aftermarket pipe. But since I have spent the money already and like the lighter weight, sound and good looks im keeping it on.

Anyone that doesn't want to cut their own pipe themselves can buy my stock pipe that is uncorked from Adventure Motorsports in Twin Falls, ID. This pipe was replaced after the first ride and was never scratched or even muddy. If I would have rode the bike before ordering the FMF pipe I would still be runny stock. My bike ran stronger from the dealer than my buddies bike from a different dealer. Adventure Motorsports really has this bike figured out.

$100.00 OBO

Gene Korby
cell (208) 721-1042

• BigVthumper

Posted December 29, 2008 - 03:02 PM

2 kinds of WR owners -

1. The guy that likes the bling.... nothing wrong with this, to each his own:thumbsup:

2. The budget minded but wanna go fast guy (me).

For $45 I buy the GYTR enlarged endcap for the stock can, I'm still blowing 94db to 96db at the race sound checks, eating up KTM's and just sealed the deal on a series championship in a true "A" class.... being part of group 2 I say that kind of money is better spent on suspension set up or steering stabilizer.

Having said all of this, I don't knock guys for wanting the high dollar exhaust systems especially if they are reasonably quiet - "less sound = more ground":prof: I have a few buddy's that are very happy with the Leo Vince systems.

Also my thought on Titanium headers.... they dent to easy, go Stainless Steel.

Congrats on the new bike :busted:

I tend to agree w/ #2 as well after doing more research. Do you have a part # for the GYTR enlarged endcap? Also, does this mean it is "uncorked" after his change? if not, how does one uncork the stock pipe and keep it below 96db?
Thanks

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 29, 2008 - 03:19 PM

I tend to agree w/ #2 as well after doing more research. Do you have a part # for the GYTR enlarged endcap? Also, does this mean it is "uncorked" after his change? if not, how does one uncork the stock pipe and keep it below 96db?
Thanks

http://www.yamaha-mo...2/0/detail.aspx

It uncorks it in the sense that you not only get rid of the "pea shooter" as you would with the free mods but you also get rid of the stock end-cap and replace it with this larger diameter, less restrictive, end-cap. The next level of stock can mods involves surgically removing the inner baffles and almost certainly exceeding 96db's. There are threads in this forum regarding this "surgery".

• BigVthumper

Posted December 29, 2008 - 03:51 PM

No thanks, i will stick to the lower DB of option 2. Have you done all the free mods in addition to the GYTR end cap to your race WR?

• SJMC_DON

Posted December 29, 2008 - 04:06 PM

Have you done all the free mods in addition to the GYTR end cap to your race WR?

Yes, definitely. There is more power to be had but the key to speed with the WR after the free mods is suspension... at a minimum spring it for weight.

• race32

Posted December 29, 2008 - 04:15 PM

I have a white brothers XCR slip on I used 3 times and work pretty good. I ended up crushing the stock head pipe so I just got a yoshimura stainless system. I know I could of just got the GYTR stainless head pipe but I thought I needed the larger YZ head pipe.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.