Screwed the thread right out!! (come on everyone does it at some stage)

47 replies to this topic
  • sirjolly18

Posted January 28, 2013 - 05:55 PM

Its the same thing on my 2004 wr450f. The bolts thread was worn right down and did not tighten. Before i tried tapping a new thread i tried a new bolt and it fixed the problem and i was able to get the correct torque. so check that the bolt is also not worn right down,

I've yet to ask is this point just a drain hole for the filter or does it need to be there for oil to get pumped around?? Because before i got the OEM part i tried it with a normal bolt with the same thread and it tightend. so was relieved i did not need to tap the hole. I've found alot of the bolts on the yammy are very soft and feel like they would easily thread themselves.

• grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2013 - 06:53 PM

I've yet to ask is this point just a drain hole for the filter or does it need to be there for oil to get pumped around?? Because before i got the OEM part i tried it with a normal bolt with the same thread and it tightend. so was relieved i did not need to tap the hole. I've found alot of the bolts on the yammy are very soft and feel like they would easily thread themselves.

Read post #8. It's a drain for the filter cavity. The permanent fix is either to install a thread insert, or more simply plug the hole that leads to the threads:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=634724

• gbalias

Posted January 31, 2013 - 01:14 PM

i heli-coiled my 08 and it was one of the best mods ive ever done. after religiously cleaning the threads after every time i pulled the bolt, there is really no way to keep the shavings from getting in there from the filter cavity. mine wasnt stripped completely but i did it as a preventative measure.

been going strong for almost 2 years now.

• Do I Care?

Posted January 31, 2013 - 02:42 PM

If that is what you have done, then you probably will have to use a Heli-coil to fix it. Basically it involves drilling out the bolt hole to a bigger specific size. Then adding a heli-coil which become the new threads.

.........................................................................................................
Just to clear up any confusion that may have been made from this you can still use the same size bolt (usually) as factory after inserting the heli-coil/ timesert in. No offence meant.

Edited by Barra8, January 31, 2013 - 02:44 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtlife1990

Posted January 24, 2016 - 11:34 AM

This just happened to me but I took my bike in to the shop to get a shift shaft replaced so the drained the oil so when I get it home I was riding it to test out the new shift shaft I parked it and noticed something was leaking and it was the bottom bolt to the filter cover the black key bolt oil was seeping around it I tried to turn it and would not tighten so there is a fix to this and a permanent fix right ?

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2016 - 07:27 PM

(is there) a fix to this and a permanent fix right ?

Yes.  This thread explains it.  

• dirtlife1990

Posted January 24, 2016 - 08:36 PM

[quote name="grayracer513" post="12879883" timestamp="1453692447"]

Yes. This thread explains it. [/quote

What's the best way which way would you pick

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2016 - 09:36 PM

The TimeSert. 

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.