Slide Seal Gasket (put on wrong?) Carb ?

14 replies to this topic
  • xnofriendsx

Posted November 19, 2007 - 11:07 AM

I am doing a carb cleaning on my 02 426 and can't remember which was the slide seal gasket (large o ring) goes on the slide.
It either goes on with the smooth side of the rubber facing out or in.
Which is it? I have it with the smooth side facing out.

I am pretty sure this is correct, but just wanted to be 100% sure.
Posted Image

This looks upside down to me.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any help is appreciated.

• todds924

Posted November 20, 2007 - 06:16 PM

I am doing a carb cleaning on my 02 426 and can't remember which was the slide seal gasket (large o ring) goes on the slide.
It either goes on with the smooth side of the rubber facing out or in.
Which is it? I have it with the smooth side facing out.

I am pretty sure this is correct, but just wanted to be 100% sure.
Posted Image

This looks upside down to me.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any help is appreciated.

The plate will fit in the slide tighter one way over the other. That is the proper way. Make sure you don't put the plate in upside down. I have seen that happen more than once.

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2007 - 08:46 PM

If I had to guess, I would say the one you think is backward is correct.

Make sure you don't put the plate in upside down. I have seen that happen more than once.

On that point, the edge near the bottom in the pictures, the one with the hole, is the bottom of the plate.

• xnofriendsx

Posted November 20, 2007 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for the reply.
So which photo above is correct? Does it even matter?
I still think Photo #1 is correct, but in a Dirt Rider mag, they do a carb rebuild and i swear the o ring is positioned like in Photo #2.

I knew about the 1/4" hole facing down, thanks though.

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2007 - 11:11 PM

That was my point. I think picture two is right. But Todd's right, too. When the seal's installed right, the plate will sort of snap in to the slide, ans the seal will hold it there. With it backwards, it will feel loose, and tend to fall out.

• xnofriendsx

Posted November 20, 2007 - 11:15 PM

Great thanks. #2 it is.
Gotta love Thumpertalk at 11:15PM and just off of work.
Now for the BK Mod tomorow.

• todds924

Posted November 21, 2007 - 06:32 PM

Great thanks. #2 it is.
Gotta love Thumpertalk at 11:15PM and just off of work.
Now for the BK Mod tomorow.

I just wanted to add that if your cleaning your carburetor and using some thing with acetone and toluene in it.........keep that stuff away from ANY rubber parts....especially that slide o-ring....that thing will blow up to five times its normal size and be ruined!!! Good luck:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted November 21, 2007 - 11:23 PM

I just wanted to add that if your cleaning your carburetor and using some thing with acetone and toluene in it.........keep that stuff away from ANY rubber parts....especially that slide o-ring....that thing will blow up to five times its normal size and be ruined!!! Good luck:thumbsup:

When that happens, put the rubber pieces in a WARM oven and they usually shrink back to normal size.

• grayracer513

Posted November 22, 2007 - 10:21 AM

You guys know that gasoline contains toluene, right? Frankly, I've never used a carb cleaner that had any acetone in it (my favorite Berryman's B12 is mostly methanol and ether), and I've never seen anything swell up a carb seal, but here's some typical fuel ingredients (don't spend too much time around any of these):

Benzene 71-43-2 <10%
Toluene 108-88-3 <10%
Dimethylbenzene (xylene) 1330-20-7 <10%
Ethylbenzene 100-41-4 <10%
Styrene (ethenyl benzene) 100-42-5 <10%
1,3-Butadiene 106-99-0 <5%
Isoprene 78-79-5 <10%
N-Hexane 110-54-3 <2%
Pentane/pentadiene 109-66-0 <10%
Cyclopentadiene 542-92-7 <10%

• xnofriendsx

Posted November 22, 2007 - 10:43 AM

I took it all apart first, took out the o rings, then dunked the whole thing in simple green, then carb cleaner in spots, then dunked in gasoline. Then i blew out all the stuff with my compressor.
Let it dry for 1-2 days, did my repairs, sealed up the gaskets, then the BK mod, and it should be starting soon. (originally had a 2-3 sec fuel squirt, not is is .5 sec or so)
My O ring for my Zip Ty fuel screw needed replacing (split). So i ordered a new one and that is the last thing i need to do to get it running.
I don't use acetone on anything really except for paint.

BTW, Ty Davis recommended the Simple Green dip for the carb and it worked great. Can Simple Green harm anything. I use that stuff for mostly everything cause it is so good, but I don't know if that stuff can damage anything. And yes, i cleaned every bit of it out of my carb.

• todds924

Posted November 22, 2007 - 10:48 AM

You guys know that gasoline contains toluene, right? Frankly, I've never used a carb cleaner that had any acetone in it (my favorite Berryman's B12 is mostly methanol and ether), and I've never seen anything swell up a carb seal, but here's some typical fuel ingredients (don't spend too much time around any of these):

Benzene 71-43-2 <10%
Toluene 108-88-3 <10%
Dimethylbenzene (xylene) 1330-20-7 <10%
Ethylbenzene 100-41-4 <10%
Styrene (ethenyl benzene) 100-42-5 <10%
1,3-Butadiene 106-99-0 <5%
Isoprene 78-79-5 <10%
N-Hexane 110-54-3 <2%
Pentane/pentadiene 109-66-0 <10%
Cyclopentadiene 542-92-7 <10%

Really? you have never seen a rubber carburetor part swelled up 10 times its normal size from carburetor cleaner? By no means try it, but it is costly and i have seen many people ruin carburetor diaphragms....especially on the CV carburetors. Maybe i will take a look at the "ingredients" of the carb cleaner I had in mind and you can probably figure the ingredient that does this. I'll post it for you.

• grayracer513

Posted November 22, 2007 - 10:54 AM

Can Simple Green harm anything(?)

Not easily. If you don't rinse it off completely, or leave aluminum soak in it for a long time, it can damage a polished finish a little, but not much more so than white vinegar.

What I like about the Berryman's carb cleaner is that all the alcohol in it makes it a perfect follow-up anytime you have used water on anything. Alcohol absorbs water.

• grayracer513

Posted November 22, 2007 - 11:06 AM

Really? you have never seen a rubber carburetor part swelled up 10 times its normal size from carburetor cleaner? By no means try it, but it is costly and i have seen many people ruin carburetor diaphragms....especially on the CV carburetors. Maybe i will take a look at the "ingredients" of the carb cleaner I had in mind and you can probably figure the ingredient that does this. I'll post it for you.

Back in the day, when we had real, cold carb dip tanks, where you soaked the carbs and rinsed them out with water, yes, I certainly have. But that stuff is hard for a home mechanic to get hold of, and a canned carb cleaner spray won't do that.

If I had access to such stuff, I probably wouldn't use it on an FCR anyway, because of the unobtainable gasket/seal between the main body and the upper float bowl.

• todds924

Posted November 24, 2007 - 08:45 PM

Back in the day, when we had real, cold carb dip tanks, where you soaked the carbs and rinsed them out with water, yes, I certainly have. But that stuff is hard for a home mechanic to get hold of, and a canned carb cleaner spray won't do that.

If I had access to such stuff, I probably wouldn't use it on an FCR anyway, because of the unobtainable gasket/seal between the main body and the upper float bowl.

The carb cleaner that i have seen ruin the rubber is the "GT" carburetor cleaner. It has acetone as the first ingredient. On those CV carbs, you can use it but you better not pop the caps off the diaphragms or they will blow out and you will never get them back in. I personally like berrymans for a quick cleaning job but the Yamaha Carb cleaner dip is the best. It doesn't destroy rubber and works really well if you pour it in a coffee can, put your carb and all your jets in it and heat it up until it boils. The stuff is magic. You mention the "good old days"???? The "cold dip" carburetor cleaner that we used to use in the Safety clean agitators? That was some good stuff!!! you had to really be careful with what you put in there.

• Frostbite

Posted November 25, 2007 - 07:40 AM

A bit late, but just to confirm, your pic #2 was the correct way to install the rubber. It does make a difference, and installing it backwards provides no damping between the plate and the slide. This from an old post on broken throttle slide plates.

Posted Image

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.