Hard Core uncorking!

I just did my own homemade side panel venting job and turned the idle mixture screw 1 full turn out. This helped a lot but there is still a small flat spot when you just open it up hard, im gona try a 70S pilot, and go up to 178 or 180 main if that doesnt work.

What kinda diffornce can i expect between pilot jets? or needle pos, i kinda wanta max the carb out, i want every ouch of HP outa it.

right now im running 175 main, 68S pilot, 3rd needle clip pos, with idle mixture screw turned out 1 turn

XR650Rsidepanelventing003.jpg

those holes you cut out look big to me, most people put alot of small ones or they put biger ones and put some type of screen inside the panel

Im gona install a screan on the inside of the panel, but the whole purpose was to get a lot of venting...know i need help with the carb adjustment

You have seen this right? http://www.xr650r.us/jetting/

It's a really good starting point.

I totally understand that tuning a carb may seem like an impossible (scary?) task when your first starting out...but the only way to get it done is to pay someone, or just keep tinkering with it on your own.

Every bike/ carb is unique in their own minute ways (ie you have way more holes on your side panel than i do--->your bike sucks in more air-->its gonna be leaner) ... so asking for carb settings over the internet is usually a fruitless task. There are a lot of factors that have to be taken into considerations when tuning your carb...ie plug color, ease of starting hot/cold, where those flat spots in the throttle are, what happens when you slightly close the throttle from wide open, idle...

I think I said this to you over on adv rider... change one thing at a time and see what happens... I was told the same thing...i didnt listen..the bike ran like shit.... Then I learned from my mistakes and started slow... Follow that jetting guide and change one thing at a time.

So instead of asking what jets to use and clip position, try to first find out what the different jets and needle position do...then you can make educated decisions about what changes you want to make. The search function is your friend....dont be skeeerd ?