XR-650R lighting puzzle

5 replies to this topic
  • Fingers

Posted November 18, 2007 - 04:19 PM

One for the electrical gurus! I have an XR-650R (DK) with upgraded 120 watt stator. I installed a 60/65 watt halagon auto bulb in my headlight to replace the 35/35 incandesent bulb. It seems to work fine. The stock headlight has three wires. BLUE for highbeam, WHITE for lowbeam and GREEN for ground. When the switch is in lowbeam one of the two filiments glows. when the switch is on highbeam the other one glows. What I want to do is have both filiments energized when I select highbeam. How do I wire it to do this? Any reason i shouldn't? On one the cars I have, both filiments light when highbeam is selected and you get more light.
I put a jumper from the BLUE to the WHITE to see what would happen. The result; when low selected one filiment lights. When high selected neither lights :thumbsup: . Thanks for any help!

• Fingers

Posted November 19, 2007 - 05:21 AM

Let me add the headlight is running on ac (100 watts). Thanks for any help.

• kuritaro9

Posted November 19, 2007 - 05:35 AM

i dont have an answer for you, but where in japan are you located?

also, keep in mind that it will fail JCI for a light that is too bright as well as too dim. i have a XR600R (U) model from OZ, and the headlight had to be swapped back to stock for the inspection...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • absynth01

Posted November 19, 2007 - 06:05 AM

If you're talking about the "running" light, don't even bother. That dinky bulb won't help your 65w light now. I changed to a 55w/100w and it makes a big difference. I also have twin (not DOT legal) 100w lights not on the bike. My XR600R has the same bulb as you, but I added twin 35W widebeams. These help my cause as there are a lot of deer here that like to run into you!
I upped the blub in my snowmobile to a high wattage. That constantly failed due to heat as I rode mainly with the highbeam on. I also melted my tailight lens on my R when the brake light stuck on and was running a larger bulb!!!Just factor in the heat on your setup. If your mount, housing, and especially your reflector in the headlight assembly is plastic, you may run into trouble. Good luck:thumbsup:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 19, 2007 - 07:16 AM

That is the way the bulb is supposed to work.

• Fingers

Posted November 19, 2007 - 10:48 PM

I'm in Iwakuni (near Hiroshima). I passed the JCI already so its not a problem for another year and I hope to be gone before then, if not I'll put the lower watt bulb back. Still hoping someone can help with the wiring question!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.