Getting back into the sport.

16 replies to this topic
  • ksinsundre

Posted November 18, 2007 - 02:51 PM

After getting bored with streetbikes around here and so many praire trails that I haven't ridden on in a few years I have decided to get back into offroad. The question is I need a new dirtbike. My old DT250 is just plain wore out (11500 miles on the odometer) and I have been shopping around again. I'm still not sure about quads. I am looking at the XR650R because of price compared the the 250X and 450X and in central North Dakota is pretty wide open terrian. So any comments on this bike or a better bike will be greatly appeciated. (I little about me I weigh 185lbs about 5'10'' and a 34'' inseam)

• beezerjoe

Posted November 18, 2007 - 03:57 PM

My opinion,stay away from quads and maybe look into and XR600 or a XR650L instead if you want a big bike. The only reason I say that is I feel they have more tractable power and would make a better trailbike than a 650R. The 650R is a great bike but I personally think it's more motorcycle than you need for playing on trails. Just my 2cents.

• martinfan30

Posted November 18, 2007 - 07:35 PM

My opinion,stay away from quads and maybe look into and XR600 or a XR650L instead if you want a big bike. The only reason I say that is I feel they have more tractable power and would make a better trailbike than a 650R. The 650R is a great bike but I personally think it's more motorcycle than you need for playing on trails. Just my 2cents.

+1.:thumbsup:

• Norge

Posted November 18, 2007 - 07:41 PM

+1.:thumbsup:

Excellent advise.

• AtomicGeo

Posted November 18, 2007 - 07:45 PM

+1 +1 +1 = +3
:thumbsup:

• BBA

Posted November 20, 2007 - 05:16 AM

Sorry but I have to disagree with my "L" friends on this one! If your looking at the 450x then your looking for the motorcycle to have some meat on it's bones (not saying the 650L doesnt have meat, just skinnier legs is all) and the XRR has some beef to get you through the trails!! I love my XRR. It takes me to the trail's (plated) making me smile, gets me through the trails LMAO, and gets me back home where my wife gets an ear full about my great ride for at least 30 minutes or better!

This bike is awesome. With a little suspension upgrades, an Edelbrock carb, Clarks 4.3 gal. tank and a good uncorking the bike is hard to beat for all around use in my opinion! Come to Las Vegas, take a spin on my R and then make a decision! Just my two cents.

• quicksilver

Posted November 20, 2007 - 06:05 AM

When making a choice between an R & L I asked myself how much am I willing to spend for what I really want. I am in a position to use the bike for 80/20 dirt street. but the dirt is not serious dirt. It's trails and distance. I didn't want to spend $ for the plates & I wanted serious reliability. I chose the L.

The design was not as intense as the R. The emphasis was on reliability. Being a middle aged adult and not planning to do anything of a serious dirt effort, it made sense. An air cooled older design backed up with design improvements on a continuum was just what I really wanted. I didn't want something that was on the cutting edge of performance. I wanted reliability as a primary buying motive.

The point being that you have to sit down and be very honest with what you REALLY are going to do with the bike. Unless you are wealthy, once you buy the thing; it's yours. I wanted that decision to be one of practicality. There is NOTHING wrong with the R, it's simply more of a race bike than I would honestly use. Just my 2 cents...

• martinfan30

Posted November 20, 2007 - 09:57 AM

the L is no slouch with some work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • angrycookieman

Posted November 20, 2007 - 11:01 AM

I have to say go for the R. The R is a race bike, but it's designed for races like the baja 1000, so it's overengineered. It's very reliable, and uncorked it's just as user friendly with much better power. If you think it's too much, just ride it for a month and then you'll be glad you got it.

• gearloos

Posted November 20, 2007 - 12:12 PM

Another thing to consider: I am by far no expert but If you want a new bike, you may still be able to find an 07 XR650R but keep in mind, as far as I know the R is gone for 08 so you may be looking at used bikes only. Nothing wrong with that, just if you wanted a new bike, your choices are further limited.Personally, I have an older kx250 2 stroke and a 2 stroke 250 quad but I do all my riding now that I'm over 40, on my modified L.
It has, carb work, tank, slip-on,springs and other mods and this thing is plenty fast for me. Much faster than stock and not that hard to modify.

• skyhawk

Posted November 20, 2007 - 02:36 PM

Beulah, ND native here now displaced in California. The 650L is the perfect bike for central ND. Lots of gravel roads and trails. Mostly cool weather so air cooling is not much of a problem. Also street legal so you can cruise up highway 49/1806 to the lake on nice summer evenings. Gods country.

• Old Graybeard

Posted November 20, 2007 - 04:51 PM

Bought my L for all the same reasons Quicksilver has previously stated and don't regret doing it. Of course I'm older but the rush I get from my uncorked L as I hammer through the gears is more than scratching my itch. My opinion...go for the L. It's bullet proof.

• BBA

Posted November 20, 2007 - 05:45 PM

[quote name='ksinsundre'] I am looking at the XR650R because of price compared the the 250X and 450X and in central North Dakota is pretty wide open terrian. So any comments on this bike or a better bike will be greatly appeciated.

I think if he is thinking about the X bikes and the XRR he is probably going to be doing some aggressive riding dont ya think? Go with your instincts Ksinsundre, find a plated R or look around and you can even find left over brand new 06's for a good price.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 21, 2007 - 08:49 AM

XRL goes anywhere, is a very easy ride over much horrific terrain because the suspension is soft, and the power is very broad.

XRR obviously has more go-power, weighs a bit less.

If the go-fast is important to you, the XRR is an easy choice. If you're doing the off-road equivalent of sport-touring and want to get there with the minimum fuss and least effort, the XRL is often the best choice.

Dave

• ksinsundre

Posted November 21, 2007 - 06:40 PM

Thanks everybody for your time to reply. I'am a little bummed that '08 is the last year for the XRr. I always liked to buy new because you never know that the bike was abused or take care of. But I'll keep my eye out for a good used one,and I think my dealer might have a new one stashed away. Also I read on your replys about "plated" bikes, does that mean it's a street legal conversion and licensed? Cuz around here its not a super big deal ,just don't act stupid and hot-rod around, heck theres people riding around in RZRS and Rhinos, quads, dirtbikes, and snowmobiles. Just tell the fuzz your going home or leaving home.

• BBA

Posted November 22, 2007 - 05:22 AM

Yeah "plated" means it's tagged for the street. Some states are real strict about what they will allow you to license (like Ca) and some are real relaxed about it as such with states like Arizona. Baja Design makes an D/S kit for the XRR which includes turn signals, horn, hi/lo headlamp & brake light tail lamp so if you do end up with the R that may be something to look into.

• quicksilver

Posted November 22, 2007 - 03:42 PM

I live in AZ and have most of my life. I heard a story that made an impression on me. Someone plated a bike and got a note from motor vehicles stating that they were reneging on the plate as the title stated "off road", etc, etc, etc.
Now that was over in the city and I live a ways away from that. but I don't doubt that it could happen. Political pressure can have a strong effect on a local level; particularly on "environmental issues".
That would certainly suck if I were to plate a bike and have it yanked out from under me (no pun intended). Imagine all the work put into such a project.....imagine the money and intended use brought to a screeching halt (I can't stop with the puns....!) ...It would be a drag.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.