Front wheel bearings

7 replies to this topic
  • hotdog7

Posted November 18, 2007 - 09:24 AM

Ok it time to change my front wheel bearings on my 2002 wr426 I dont need the speedo any more so what do I need to get rid of it shoul I use yz parts?:thumbsup:

• WR_Dave

Posted November 18, 2007 - 09:56 AM

Either use YZ parts or just take the cable and speedo head off and zipty a rubber cover over the exposed threads where the cable attaches.Then just use the speedo drive hub as a spacer, no cost solution. Which ever way you go on this, I recommend installing sealed bearings and carefully prying the seals out to repack the bearings with more grease and then pushing the seals back in for installation into the hub.Don't forget to put the spacer back in before the final bearing. . WR Dave

• hotdog7

Posted November 18, 2007 - 12:18 PM

Ok took out old bearings no problem but their is only a seal on one side of the wheel the other side with speedo has the seal in the speedo and the yamaha web parts list it as one piece $79.00 that is crazy if I need a seal for that side I have to buy this? I dont think I can use yz parts because of the way the hub is for the speedo.

• WR_Dave

Posted November 18, 2007 - 02:36 PM

I'm talking about the bearings themselves having the seals. The stock bearings only have a seal on one side from the factory. As long as you didn't ruin the numbers on the bearings you can get the numbers crossed over from a bearing supply store for a lot cheaper than dealer prices. Just get them in the sealed both sides version and you should be good to go. No need to wory about the hubs dirt seals unless they are ruined. Just clean them and put them back in with a little grease on the back side of them to capture any dirt that gets past them. WR Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hotdog7

Posted November 18, 2007 - 03:35 PM

Thanks Dave I knew what you were talking about with the sealed bearings just the seal on the outside of the hub cant be replaced on the speedo side.

• WR_Dave

Posted November 18, 2007 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, your right , it's designed for the speedo drive to fit there. Just cap the cable threads and have fun riding :ride: . Trying to help and keep it cheap :thumbsup: WR Dave.

• drtbk4ever

Posted November 19, 2007 - 01:30 PM

Yeah, your right , it's designed for the speedo drive to fit there. Just cap the cable threads and have fun riding :ride: . Trying to help and keep it cheap :thumbsup: WR Dave.

When the previous owner of my 450 installed the Trick Dual sport kit, he put a red electrical twist connector (not sure what the real name is for these things) on the speedo drive. Does the job perfectly, but I wish he coulda found a blue one.

• Birdy426

Posted November 19, 2007 - 09:18 PM

You could also use one of these...

http://flatlandracin...ter Eliminators

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.