some more pics of my 08

18 replies to this topic
  • KTM RULES

Posted November 18, 2007 - 06:02 AM

hey guys i took my bike in to get the oil changed and the bike serviced (for free) and also to get my new flat track wheel and gearing setup. i also got my new backgrounds and numbers. heres some pics, let me know what you think:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
thats the new flat track rim, tyre and gearing setup. its a stock WR450F rim as it is 18" and also has a radial tyre on it that we use for racing flayt track. i also had a race meeting last night. it was my first meeting as a senior and on the 450 and it was awesome. on my very first race i won :thumbsup: then i got 3rd, 4th and 2nd respectively.

• rmzRacer293

Posted November 18, 2007 - 07:57 AM

bike looks awesome! What kind of chain and sprockets are you running? also what gearing you got on there?

• YZF831

Posted November 18, 2007 - 08:24 AM

Well I'm not a fan of the blue backgrounds but hey it's yours not mine. What kind of flat tracking are you doing with that tire? I usually run a goodyear/dunlop or maxxis when I dirt track. Also have you thought about lacing up an 18" for the front too?

• Macsplace

Posted November 18, 2007 - 08:33 AM

NICE! I like the blue backgrounds.

• KTM RULES

Posted November 19, 2007 - 12:42 AM

Well I'm not a fan of the blue backgrounds but hey it's yours not mine. What kind of flat tracking are you doing with that tire? I usually run a goodyear/dunlop or maxxis when I dirt track. Also have you thought about lacing up an 18" for the front too?

i didnt want the blue backgrounds at first as i thought i wouldnt like them but they turned out nice. i have to have that colour cos thats what we run at flat track here. nah dats what we run over here for flat track, ours is way different to thr american version. you probly hear it more referred to as dirt track racing here.

• grayracer513

Posted November 19, 2007 - 09:37 AM

(Our flat track) is way different to thr american version. you probly hear it more referred to as dirt track racing here.

How is it different?

If the bike in the background is involved, we call it "Speedway", but not near enough of either gets done around here anymore.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted November 19, 2007 - 01:32 PM

How is it different?

yea im wondering that too, its known as flattrack around here more than dirt track

• KTM RULES

Posted November 19, 2007 - 08:09 PM

How is it different?

If the bike in the background is involved, we call it "Speedway", but not near enough of either gets done around here anymore.

yeh thats my GM 500 in the background. here is some better pictures of it: Posted Image
Posted Image
yer i race speedway with that bike.
our flat track is different over here because we run the stock 21 inch front wheel and tyre and use an 18 inch back wheel with a michelin radial on it. we race round a track with right and left hand turns then after a few rounds on that we swap to the circle track. over in america yous use two 18 inch rims for front and back with fatter tyres on them and ive only ever seen then ride on an oval track.

• grayracer513

Posted November 19, 2007 - 10:06 PM

What we call "TT" or "Steeplechase" more archaically, is like that. Many, though not all, TT tracks are laid out in the infield of an oval. the very common "Ascot Park" layout starts on the front straight of the oval and exits left into the infield between turns 1 and 2 (an oval in the US is said to have 4 turns) the left goes 270 degrees, then right, over a jump, 180 degrees or so to the right, a left hairpin, and onto the oval back straight at about 2/3 to turn 3. Then around the full length of turns 3 and 4, and back down the whole front straight. Laps are 3/4 to a mile.

Then (me):
Posted Image

Now (Jr. Schnabel, not me):
Posted Image

For those of you on this side of Pacific who don't know what Speedway is, look at KTM's little white bike again. These have 500cc singles with 15:1 compression, fueled by methanol. They weigh 170 pounds, produce 65 or more HP, have no transmission, no brakes, and will do 0-60 on a dirt surface in 3 seconds, and are quite prone to standing straight up while dead sideways leaving a turn at full throttle. Speedway is adrenaline, on speed with a triple espresso dark chocolate chaser. It's insane. If you haven't done it you have no idea...

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted November 20, 2007 - 01:11 PM

Speedway is really cool to watch....the speed is unreal and no friggin brakes.....it usually is not good when you wreck.....
GrayRacer.....you were stylin back then on that Norton, nice form man!......:thumbsup:
Curious KTM - what is the motor in that beast? It looks like a cross between a Husaberg and a honda air cooled

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2007 - 01:42 PM

Did you really recognize the Norton, or did you just read that off my leathers? :thumbsup:

• twenty34

Posted November 20, 2007 - 08:29 PM

What we call "TT" or "Steeplechase" more archaically, is like that. Many, though not all, TT tracks are laid out in the infield of an oval. the very common "Ascot Park" layout starts on the front straight of the oval and exits left into the infield between turns 1 and 2 (an oval in the US is said to have 4 turns) the left goes 270 degrees, then right, over a jump, 180 degrees or so to the right, a left hairpin, and onto the oval back straight at about 2/3 to turn 3. Then around the full length of turns 3 and 4, and back down the whole front straight. Laps are 3/4 to a mile.

Then (me):
Posted Image

Now (Jr. Schnabel, not me):
Posted Image

For those of you on this side of Pacific who don't know what Speedway is, look at KTM's little white bike again. These have 500cc singles with 15:1 compression, fueled by methanol. They weigh 170 pounds, produce 65 or more HP, have no transmission, no brakes, and will do 0-60 on a dirt surface in 3 seconds, and are quite prone to standing straight up while dead sideways leaving a turn at full throttle. Speedway is adrenaline, on speed with a triple espresso dark chocolate chaser. It's insane. If you haven't done it you have no idea...

Posted Image

Wasn't Bruce Penhall a Speedway guy?...Remember ChiPs...My favorite show growing up in the cold Midwest.:ride:

That's some rather nice form you've got there...:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2007 - 11:07 PM

Wasn't Bruce Penhall a Speedway guy?...Remember ChiPs...

Penhall sounds familiar, alright. But I had almost successfully forgotten CHiPs....Thanks a lot Rick. :thumbsup:

• KTM RULES

Posted November 21, 2007 - 01:26 AM

Speedway is really cool to watch....the speed is unreal and no friggin brakes.....it usually is not good when you wreck.....
GrayRacer.....you were stylin back then on that Norton, nice form man!......:thumbsup:
Curious KTM - what is the motor in that beast? It looks like a cross between a Husaberg and a honda air cooled

its a 500cc GM.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 21, 2007 - 07:43 AM

Did you really recognize the Norton, or did you just read that off my leathers? :thumbsup:

I recognized the Norton gas tank first...then the leathers.....you were stylin:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2007 - 08:51 AM

I recognized the Norton gas tank first...then the leathers.....you were stylin:thumbsup:

The gas tank was an aftermarket fiberglass part, but we had it painted and striped the same color as the '70 model N15CS tank.

Check this out:

http://www.xtremespe.../codyparts8.htm

http://www.gmengines...ng/products.php

• WB450

Posted November 21, 2007 - 09:23 AM

There was a guy at a hill climb I attended this summer who was riding a Jawa, it was a odd set up for hill climbs.

• grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2007 - 11:09 AM

... it was a odd set up for hill climbs.

As far as specialized hill climbers go, that would make it normal, wouldn't it?

• WB450

Posted November 21, 2007 - 03:21 PM

As far as specialized hill climbers go, that would make it normal, wouldn't it?

Ya, I guess it would.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.