What did you do to your DRZ400 today?

Crunch406

going to show a friend how to do a piston ring job on his DRZsmS... budget forces to buy stock bore piston and parts..no bigbore

we're going to start tomorrow, but i cheated and i started earlier lol..

removed the plastics,tank,carb,exhaust..

tomorrow morning im going to have him start with a oil drain and coolant drain , radiator removal and progress from there, we should be done tomorrow.its no rush though.

Edited by 707LAKE
  • Like 1

going to show a friend how to do a piston ring job on his DRZsmS... budget forces to buy stock bore piston and parts..no bigbore

we're going to start tomorrow, but i cheated and i started earlier lol..

removed the plastics,tank,carb,exhaust..

tomorrow morning im going to have him start with a oil drain and coolant drain , radiator removal and progress from there, we should be done tomorrow.its no rush though.

how much does a stock bore and piston cost?  

Been thinking about getting frame guards. Which ones did you get? Any pics?

I got the Works Connections guards.   They fit ok ( the holes ) but I would like them to be a little bigger.  They dont cover the full frame on the right side.

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 5.18.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 5.18.25 PM.png

• Like 1

I just did the kickstart kit yesterday to my 2011. The install went very well except for one hiccup..the old acme manual impact hammer I have is actually inscribed wrong. I had to put it to "R" to loosen, instead of "L"...I believe it's supposed to be the other way around. After completing the install, the bike started on my 4th kick with just a couple twists of the throttle with fcr mx carb. I've never used a kickstarter before so I guess it works good! I did get it lower down on the stroke before kicking it though.

• Like 3

Removed and bypassed side stand switch relay/interlock, added small led turn signals and solid state flasher.

20161001_123923_zpshiruf1je.jpg

That is a great idea! I have never like the bulky stock unit and I have LED's and would like to do this mod. I have a schematic for the bike but I am curious as to how you wired your up. Also where did you end up mounting the flasher and how do you keep it weather proof? Lastly, is that a 555 flasher and where did you get it? I know I just asked a lot but feedback from you on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing!!

Removed and bypassed side stand switch relay/interlock, added small led turn signals and solid state flasher.20161001_123923_zpshiruf1je.jpg

That is a great idea! I have never like the bulky stock unit and I have LED's and would like to do this mod. I have a schematic for the bike but I am curious as to how you wired your up. Also where did you end up mounting the flasher and how do you keep it weather proof? Lastly, is that a 555 flasher and where did you get it? I know I just asked a lot but feedback from you on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing!!

This is the adjustable solid state flasher that I used.

So far, so good. It has a good range of adjustment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262282787889

I just followed these instructions in the FAQ section and it worked great.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/807550-led-turnsignals-how-to-remove-the-turnsignal-sidestand-relay/

Edited by Joe_B
  • Like 1

Last weekend I removed the rear wheel to lubricate the axle, clean it, and just do an inspection and I found my rear wheel spacers scored. Today I replaced the spacers, replaced the air filter and bled and replaced the brake fluid in both front and rear. Hopefully the test ride goes well!

Edited by wildeman78
  • Like 1

Last weekend I removed the rear wheel to lubricate the axle, clean it, and just do an inspection and I found my rear wheel spacers scored. Today I replaced the spacers, replaced the air filter and bled and replaced the brake fluid in both front and rear. Hopefully the test ride goes well!📎IMG_1475873215.393805.jpg📎IMG_1475873228.604983.jpg

Test ride went great, both brakes are strong.
  • Like 2

last night i installed new handlebars, i had to relocate the ignition switch and make a bracket for it. i wanted to use the original one by just bending it the way i wanted, that didnt work too well...lol i started to heat it up that thing just cut in half..i dont know what kind of material it was but it doesnt like heat...lol.

20161008_043207.jpeg

• Like 3

After smelling gas I discovered the petcock had started leaking. So I cleaned and watched for where, turns out it was seeping from the diaphragm/piston. Since you can't replace just that part I decided to disassemble it and try a veryyyyy thin layer RTV sealant in the gasket. IMG_1476065293.360481.jpgIMG_1476065306.958772.jpg

After looking at it for a minute I realized how over complicated this sucker is. So we're gonna wait for it to cure then leak test and function test it.

• Like 1

After smelling gas I discovered the petcock had started leaking. So I cleaned and watched for where, turns out it was seeping from the diaphragm/piston. Since you can't replace just that part I decided to disassemble it and try a veryyyyy thin layer RTV sealant in the gasket. 📎IMG_1476065293.360481.jpg📎IMG_1476065306.958772.jpg

After looking at it for a minute I realized how over complicated this sucker is. So we're gonna wait for it to cure then leak test and function test it.

I had the stock petcock leaking earlier this year (after 10 years), bought a rebuild kit off eBay and it has been working like new again. Pretty simple and painless.

• Like 2

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to What did you do to your DRZ400 today?