Rant against Twin Air (XR600)

6 replies to this topic
  • Owyhee

Posted November 17, 2007 - 04:49 PM

[rant]My stock 1999 air filter finally gave up the ghost so I wandered down to the local Honda shop for a replacement. I ordered a Twin Air part number 150601 (XR250/400/600Baja85/650L 93/) on a day off from work.

The part comes in and it just looks wrong. Granted, I'm not an expert on the 600, but I do know what wrong looks like. The air filter end of the air cleaner is much too small to fit around the opening for the air boot.

I talked with the 40-something parts guy behind the counter making $7/hr and told him it was the wrong part. He said, "That's the right part. Look at the bag."

Smelling bullshit, I walked over to the floor model XR650L and yanked out its air filter, and took it to show him. Again, he said it was the right one. I showed him the differences in the openings and he said it would fit.

Because the part was special order, I sort of wasn't allowed to return it. After the cashier girl rang up my order wrong three times (I had to get a refund on parts they couldn't get) I left.

Tonite I put the air filter on.

Guess what? [/rant]

"O"

• exaresix

Posted November 17, 2007 - 05:05 PM

I just checked Twin Air's website, and part number TA 150601 is said to be the correct one.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 17, 2007 - 05:52 PM

That kinda sucks. I've had similar issues with twinair previously (XL350R). I like the UNI products better for non-race bikes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Owyhee

Posted November 17, 2007 - 08:15 PM

That kinda sucks. I've had similar issues with twinair previously (XL350R). I like the UNI products better for non-race bikes.

I had a Uni filter for my 1984 XR350R. Great fit, great filter, great bike.

I just checked Twin Air's website, and part number TA 150601 is said to be the correct one.

It came up on the computer as the right one too. Maybe tomorrow I'll take a picture of new vs. old. I think the old one is still in the trash can (and the new one is stuck in the airbox on the floor of my garage awaiting the arrival of my slick new WP shock).

"O"

• fc501

Posted November 18, 2007 - 02:04 AM

No-Toil has one that remains on the stock cage. That is what I will be using.
thanks

• creeky

Posted November 18, 2007 - 05:36 AM

I have tried several different aftermarket filters over the years, the UNI works best for me, been using them on XRs for a long time, no problems.

• creeky

Posted November 18, 2007 - 05:37 AM

I have tried most of the aftermarket filters over the years, the UNI works best for me, been using them on XRs for a long time, no problems.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.