How often do you change your oil?

57 replies to this topic
  • Owyhee

Posted November 20, 2007 - 08:49 AM

You don't get clutch particles under the same conditions using synthetic?? I get them running Synthetic or non. What bike ya ridin??Now for my truck Mobil1 is used. Good stuff.

I got the particles in both oil. I should have been more clear in my post.

Original post:

I ran dino oil for an oil change or two and noticed the oil cooked to a goo and left sludge in the bottom of the engine. After 200 miles or so the oil is full of clutch particles and other badness so I change it even though the oil probably still has some life in it.

Should have read:

I ran dino oil for an oil change or two and noticed the oil cooked to a goo and left sludge in the bottom of the engine.

After 200 miles or so with either oil the oil is full of clutch particles and other badness so I change it even though the oil probably still has some life in it.

I'm riding a stock engined 1999 XR600 (original chain too!).

It goes without saying that in the desert I don't get the particles as quickly as when I'm trail riding.

"O"

• martinfan30

Posted November 20, 2007 - 09:52 AM

I agree somewhat. Why I don't change the filter everytime is because last time I changed it on my R, the screens caught most of the clutch particles. The filter looked OK. I assume some contamination did get in the filter. That fine particulate is not usually visible in a filter, but the last few months I was trailering to a camp in central PA. It was easy to do 1000mi an extended weekend, although 600mi was closer. In past posts I had said I can feel 2nd gear just slightly starting to give me problems. I can feel it in my shifter, and felt that in my CR for years. This bike is an unknown to me other than what I was told. It has the full upgrade through the topend(including rod kit), but am pretty sure the tranny wasn't done. It is absolutely the weak point in this L, and am currently researching a 650R tranny swap if possible!!As for the oil changes, once I change that tranny, It will be a scotts stainless filter.

Not saying this is the same thing but....
I was working on a large industrial compressor. The oil filters on this unit were original. Know why?? It was a 1952 model with brass/stainless filters, reuseable.

New machines... high speed compressor, canister type, disposable, expensive!!
Anything I post is opinion and may not apply to you. Just my 2c in your decision process.

a 650R trans will not work.

• martinfan30

Posted November 20, 2007 - 09:54 AM

What type of filters do you guys run then? I want to shy away from using Fram if at possible. I have a k&n right now. Does my bike have those screens you guys are talking about? Thanks

im a firm beleiver in OEM brand parts. i work for a toyota dealer and see what happens when after market filters are used. this is why i own toyotas and ONLY use toyota parts.

same for both my hondas.

• absynth01

Posted November 20, 2007 - 06:42 PM

a 650R trans will not work.

What's the fix?? Custom tranny? That will be pricey. I'll have to ask my moldmaker/machine builder about that. Perhaps some incoming metal will get tagged for recycling!!!

• rangerman

Posted November 20, 2007 - 08:29 PM

Crap. I am actually using a stock honda filter right now. I got mixed up with my last bike. I had a k&n in that one. Anyway. I got some Rotella T tonight, 15w-40, is that the right stuff? Does my bike have the screens? Thanks

• martinfan30

Posted November 21, 2007 - 08:11 AM

honda filters are good. right oil and yes it has 2 oil screens. 1 in the downtube of the oil tank and 1 in the right side case.

• Rman of 237

Posted November 21, 2007 - 08:43 AM

What's the fix?? Custom tranny? That will be pricey. I'll have to ask my moldmaker/machine builder about that. Perhaps some incoming metal will get tagged for recycling!!!

Nothing wrong with the Honda filters, I keep several on hand because the 400 uses the same P/N.
Edit. OOPS Sorry absynth01, I meant to quote rangerman.
Rotella T 15w-40. Thats the ticket.

• rawsonboy

Posted November 21, 2007 - 08:51 AM

have to pull the clutch cover off to get at it.

Do you replace the gasket every time ?

• martinfan30

Posted November 21, 2007 - 08:57 AM

only if it tears!lol

just be very carefull pulling it off. use a torque wrench too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rangerman

Posted November 21, 2007 - 09:42 AM

Awesome. Thanks guys. It's good to know that others are using this oil.
Are bike hold like a quart and a half or so? I can't quite remember but I know it is more than a quart and less that two. Thanks

• martinfan30

Posted November 21, 2007 - 10:08 AM

Awesome. Thanks guys. It's good to know that others are using this oil.
Are bike hold like a quart and a half or so? I can't quite remember but I know it is more than a quart and less that two. Thanks

2.07 qts after oil /filter change.

• rangerman

Posted November 21, 2007 - 03:25 PM

Thanks

• zipper600

Posted November 21, 2007 - 03:47 PM

i change oil every 1000kms.dont use car oil.i used AC Delco 10w40 semi and the clutch slips when bike starts to warm up.2nd gear broke.im now gonna change again to Valvoline semi-synthetic.still ride it with only 4 gears :thumbsup: when bike get some real trouble on engine i will tear apart and total rebuilt it.Cam,piston,bearing,gears forks, gears....expensive...

• quicksilver

Posted November 22, 2007 - 05:15 PM

1k miles. Motorcycle oil only. I once had a very old BSA with separate transmission case (1955 Rocket A10 road racer) and thought up an idea which later someone thought of also and patented! That bike ran it's oil dirty so fast I was shocked (realistically @ 300-400 miles, the oil was sludge). I popped a hole in the drain plug and installed a small ALNICO magnet. They (magnetic drain plugs) are very easy to make however. Today you can buy a drain plug(s) with a magnet for $10. It may be the best little thing a guy can use with a motorcycle. It picks up so much crap you would be amazed...

I just bought a new 650-L and with magnetic drain plugs installed in both drain sumps, I'll bet I pick out 3-4 grams of steel from the break in period. Good ideas are thought up by many people but those who patent them are the guys who have more toys...

• XR_Dude

Posted November 26, 2007 - 06:55 PM

Have any of you guys ever run Motul 3000 20/50? What is your opinion?

• tgstoken

Posted November 26, 2007 - 08:22 PM

I always use Amsoil oil in all my bikes. The wet clutch performance is far superior to any auto oil.

• bigredpig

Posted November 30, 2007 - 06:19 PM

Motul 3000 is all I run in any bike I care about. I change it at about 800 or if the color changes. in my xr650r

• radbrad48

Posted December 01, 2007 - 11:27 AM

What do you guys think of the Pro Honda GN4 oil. I changed the oil and filter at 600 miles and planned on doing it every 1000 miles after that. Only have 1200 miles now. It seemed to work good. It was still clear at 600 miles.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.