Acewell Speedo and Tach

9 replies to this topic
  • MaxPower

Posted 17 November 2007 - 03:36 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I bought a Acewell Speedo that had a tach and temp gauge on it. I am frustrated with the Electro Sport customer service after multiple calls on my dual sport kit and now speedo.I would rather not call them again. Ill drive behind someone going 40mph in the fast lane on the Parkway if I need to get aggrivated.I only bought it because the wire harness for the kit had plugs to directly power the Acewell speedo.In hindsite, I should have gone with the Vapor
I am having a problem getting the tach to read. I wrapped the tach pickup around the plug wire as per instructions and no dice. What am I doing wrong?
And anyone that bought this speedo, did you drive cable come at leat 10 inches too long? Or did they send me one for a chopper?
Thanks for your time[/COLOR]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tmckeown

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:16 PM

Hi

Try to wrap it around only one of those two wires

Timo McKeown

• RSWR450F

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

ACE WELL 3200 on WR 450 F 2OO7:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• ETP

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:47 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I bought a Acewell Speedo that had a tach and temp gauge on it. I am frustrated with the Electro Sport customer service after multiple calls on my dual sport kit and now speedo.I would rather not call them again. Ill drive behind someone going 40mph in the fast lane on the Parkway if I need to get aggrivated.I only bought it because the wire harness for the kit had plugs to directly power the Acewell speedo.In hindsite, I should have gone with the Vapor
I am having a problem getting the tach to read. I wrapped the tach pickup around the plug wire as per instructions and no dice. What am I doing wrong?
And anyone that bought this speedo, did you drive cable come at leat 10 inches too long? Or did they send me one for a chopper?
Thanks for your time[/COLOR]

Some of us Vapor owners are having problems with our tach readings. It reads high off the scale sometimes. Some have corrected this by replacing the Vapor battery (even when connected to external power). I think its probably noise related too, and plan to try replacing the supplied 2 conductor wires with a shielded type cable.
Our supplied Vapor tach cable is long enough to wrap around the spark plug cap/coil assembly only 6 or 7 times. 6-7 winds around the coil should be enough according to Trailtech.

• SXP

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:26 PM

Some of us Vapor owners are having problems with our tach readings. It reads high off the scale sometimes. Some have corrected this by replacing the Vapor battery (even when connected to external power). I think its probably noise related too, and plan to try replacing the supplied 2 conductor wires with a shielded type cable.
Our supplied Vapor tach cable is long enough to wrap around the spark plug cap/coil assembly only 6 or 7 times. 6-7 winds around the coil should be enough according to Trailtech.

On my 07, with the same coil-over-plug setup that you have, I unplugged the harness plug from the coil, released the blade connectors from the plug, attached the tach sensor wires to each blade, reinserted the blades back into the plug and plugged the connector back into the coil. The tach functions and works perfectly now. If you want to know which color sensor wire went to which harness wire, I can check that out when I get home.

• ETP

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:49 PM

On my 07, with the same coil-over-plug setup that you have, I unplugged the harness plug from the coil, released the blade connectors from the plug, attached the tach sensor wires to each blade, reinserted the blades back into the plug and plugged the connector back into the coil. The tach functions and works perfectly now. If you want to know which color sensor wire went to which harness wire, I can check that out when I get home.

That would be great SXP. I'm surprised that works considering you have the wires connected directly to the high voltage coil source. Seems like it could fry something. But I don't know the circuit design. The intended use is to wrap the wire around the coil which would act like a pickup antenna.

• MaxPower

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:12 PM

[COLOR="Green"]thanks for posting those pictures
I have a mechanical cable turning my speedo
Its way too long
I guess Ill have to spend more money and get the magnetic pic up like you have
Dual Sporting a bike with the Electro Sport kit and putting a speedo on didnt have so hard. [/COLOR]

• SXP

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:00 PM

That would be great SXP. I'm surprised that works considering you have the wires connected directly to the high voltage coil source. Seems like it could fry something. But I don't know the circuit design. The intended use is to wrap the wire around the coil which would act like a pickup antenna.

Attach the following tach sensor wires to the coil harness plug wires: Black tach sensor wire to black harness wire and red tach sensor wire to red harness wire.

The sensor wires are connected to the low voltage side of the coil - I don't see why you would fry anything!

• ETP

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:27 PM

Attach the following tach sensor wires to the coil harness plug wires: Black tach sensor wire to black harness wire and red tach sensor wire to red harness wire.

The sensor wires are connected to the low voltage side of the coil - I don't see why you would fry anything!

Yeh, you're right. The low voltage side. I was thinking high voltage side.
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.:thumbsup:

• dooby91

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:42 PM

Im having the same issue's max what did you do to finally get the tach to work.

Thanks,

Tyler

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.