Cheap Light Help

10 replies to this topic
  • MaxPower

Posted November 17, 2007 - 03:28 PM

[COLOR="Green"]Without dropping buck for a trick Baja Designs headlight system and rewound stators, I thought I would ask you all if there is anything I could do to tweak my stock lights without creating a nightmare.
I think the WR puts out a decent beam, but more is always better. I ride it on the road and people just dont see me. And when its warm enough, I like to ride at night

I would like to get something better for the tail light also even if I have to spend a little more on that.
Maybe I should just stay off the road.[/COLOR]

• jerryls

Posted November 17, 2007 - 08:09 PM

Go to a car parts store and buy a xenon bulb. Its about twice as bright as the stock one.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted November 17, 2007 - 09:41 PM

Yep, you have a few extra watts, you can run a little more lighting without rewinding.

I also recommend red or orange reflectors on all sides of the bike.
Look at the reflectors front and rear.

Posted Image

• dmoney1074

Posted November 17, 2007 - 10:16 PM

I got an acerbis cyclope... its got two 55 w bulbs... I swear its brighter than my truck, but it dims at idle real bad.... thats on my 426 though. I'm sure w/ a battery (like a wr450) it wont dip at idle as much. The brightest light Ive seen on a dual sport was on a xr 650 with a battery, rewound stator, and a huge, ugly, round headlight... It was blinding!

• bicyclebob

Posted November 17, 2007 - 10:54 PM

Take out the taillight lamp and replace it with 2 two led trailer marker lamps. One for the taillight and one for the stop light. Try searching this forum for headlight replacement. I built my own from some driving lights and have it posted on here.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tweav

Posted November 17, 2007 - 11:17 PM

you do know that the rewiring kit for you stator is only 40 bucks.It only took me an hour and a half to install the was very ez

• krokii

Posted December 19, 2007 - 11:20 PM

hey, need help too!!!
i'm putting a CYCLOPE too,do i need to do rewiring kit for my stator or its ok stock?and looks lie i have to buy a switch hi-low?
thank you!!!!

• tweav

Posted December 20, 2007 - 12:13 AM

you can always just try it but it will be close to running out of juice .as far as a high low switch you can just pick high or low and wire that one only . Me myself I would get a switch and a stator rewiring kit ,I don't like doing things twice . if you rewire the stator it's an ez light hookup thru a switch is also a kill switch for the bike . so when you turn the lights off the battery is also off. Are you road riding with turn signals?

• ncampion

Posted December 20, 2007 - 09:25 AM

If you really want a good light, forget about the Halogen lights althgether. Go for the HID system. They only draw about 35 W while on but they do draw about 100 W during a brief startup so you need a battery that can handle that. These conversion systems are getting really cheap. (check the link) This gets you enough hardware for two motorcycle setups. You do need a 12V DC electrical source so you will have to rectify your stock AC current which is easy. These lights are VERY bright and all the Baja racers use them.

• krokii

Posted December 20, 2007 - 02:29 PM

well im thinking for signals too,does that matter much,they dont take much power, or atleast thats what i think. where i should buy the rewiring kit from?
thank you!

• tweav

Posted December 20, 2007 - 04:51 PM

My 07 wr450 I just got all the pieces and wired it myself. mainly because no one really offered a kit that fit right at the time ,I'm not really sure that someone do now.
here's a parts break down of that.

26 blaster key switch
59 turn signal switch
16 led turn signal relay
26 led turn signals X 2 sets
8 horn
5 isolation relay
18 hyd. brake light switch x 2

then I used wire I had and solder and shrink tubing

Now My 2006 crf250x I bought a wrong baja designs kit off of e-bay for 200
the kit I got was for a 2002-2004 crf450r alot of the stuff in the kit was over kill .So I mildly rewired the kit . the kit was for a bike with no charging system . so I pulled the voltage regulator and the battery and some brackets then I had to get a front brake light switch and added a circuit for that.
so I did that bike for like 220 or so.

as far as what looks better the wr wins hands down . but the crf was much easier

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.