Corona access to fire roads

12 replies to this topic
  • byggd

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:30 AM

Does anyone know where the access the fire roads/trails from the Corona area? I've read you can ride up the the antenna towers and all the way to Ortega hwy if plated.

• nitrotuel

Posted 17 November 2007 - 05:54 PM

Hey I just talked to a ranger at cleveland in holy jim canyon today who said you can ride from top of ortega hwy to santiago along the peaks and then down to corona but the trails at santiago are closed due to the fire ,he said probably about a year.You can ride it but have to turn around at santiago and head back unless someone else knows a side route down.Good news is he said Silverwood to Arrowhead is open.Forgot to ask about baldy mesa.

• mxdirtdiva

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:09 PM

There used to be an entrance you could enter through Skyline Drive in Corona. Not sure if this is still the entrance: Head South on Lincoln until it reaches the foothills. Skyline Drive is just west of Lincoln Ave. The entrance may move due to housing developments in the area. Keep heading towards the canyon, and you will find it. You may have to access the trail via Mangular Ave.

• ubotch

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:50 PM

I just went up Skyline Drive this morning. I couldn't get too far. There's a gate up on main divide road and that's closed so it is a pretty short ride. I usually go up Bedford Canyon road but that is closed now too due to fires.

• byggd

Posted 18 November 2007 - 07:20 AM

I just went up Skyline Drive this morning. I couldn't get too far. There's a gate up on main divide road and that's closed so it is a pretty short ride. I usually go up Bedford Canyon road but that is closed now too due to fires.

Bedford Canyon?? That's by the freeway :thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted 18 November 2007 - 07:25 AM

Hey I just talked to a ranger at cleveland in holy jim canyon today who said you can ride from top of ortega hwy to santiago along the peaks and then down to corona but the trails at santiago are closed due to the fire ,he said probably about a year.You can ride it but have to turn around at santiago and head back unless someone else knows a side route down.Good news is he said Silverwood to Arrowhead is open.Forgot to ask about baldy mesa.

Wazup bradda! I wish I knew for sure that Arrowhead and the trail from silverwood were open. A couple of people have spoken with a rangers who all say it's open. The only person that's been up there said a guy in a water truck told him it was closed but never replied to the question of "were the gates closed".

• byggd

Posted 18 November 2007 - 07:29 AM

There used to be an entrance you could enter through Skyline Drive in Corona. Not sure if this is still the entrance: Head South on Lincoln until it reaches the foothills. Skyline Drive is just west of Lincoln Ave. The entrance may move due to housing developments in the area. Keep heading towards the canyon, and you will find it. You may have to access the trail via Mangular Ave.

Thanks! Maybe I'll take a ride up that way later today. I zoomed in with the satellite hybrid map and it looks pretty easy to find.

• ubotch

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:23 AM

Bedford Canyon?? That's by the freeway :thumbsup:

Yeah, sorry. Bedford Canyon is off the 15 freeway. There is access from Weirick road but it's a little hard to find. You can also ride through the parking lot of Eagle Glen golf course to get there. If you go that way you turn into the left parking lot as you're facing the clubhouse and follow it down to the maintenance building. There will be a gravel road on your right. Follow that to the Bedford gate. That won't really help you until they open things up but that's where I usually go.

If you are going skyline, there is new construction but just weave your way through the new houses to the south west corner to the gate. This gate is often closed but was open yesterday. I've been told by one of the rangers that you can get a key to this gate for a $100 deposit. I guess this is supposed to help keep out the bastards that keep dumping trash up there.

If you go for a ride up there while most things are still closed down, you'll come to a closed gate before too long. You can extend your ride a little by heading out towards the radio towers to the west. (head west at pretty much the only place you can. Stay on the high, dried mud road otherwise you'll be getting onto private property.)

Have fun. In the future if you need riding partners I usually up for a ride up there. I'm out for now since my wife will be popping out our first kid tomorrow.

• byggd

Posted 18 November 2007 - 12:18 PM

I'm out for now since my wife will be popping out our first kid tomorrow.

Well congratulations! I have two boys, 20 and 23. I may take you up on the ride partner when things open up. What do you ride?

• ubotch

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:30 PM

I'm on a DRZ400S.

There are a few people here that meet up to ride up there occasionally. Post up when you want to ride and there's a good chance myself or a few others may head up with you. Hopefully all the roads up there will be open soon because that little trip up skyline isn't a whole lot of fun.

• byggd

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:01 AM

Any idea if the gates have been reopened?

• ubotch

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:49 PM

Unfortunately it looks like it's still closed down. I've heard people speculating that it will be closed for months. I hope not but I don't really know.

Here's a link to the conditions on the national forest website:

http://www.fs.fed.us...and/conditions/

• byggd

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:38 PM

I just spoke with the Corona ranger station and found out to access the fire roads at the gate near where foothill ends you need to contact Riverside County and put $100 down for a key deposit.

She said the gate up past the golf course was a private entrance. I road up there once but got so many dirty looks from the golfers I turned around before reaching the gravel road. Anyone know if this one has reopened?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.