Can't keep my XL600 running and can't restart it. Help Please

10 replies to this topic
  • Tallerman

Posted November 16, 2007 - 05:04 PM

My '85 XL600 starts on the 2nd kick. It will run for about 2 miles or until I close the throttle while slowing down and then die. Then I can't seem to get it restarted until the next day.

I've pushed it home twice and trailered it once.

Does this sound like a fuel supply problem? (The carbs fill up quickly after I drain them)

Could this be a carb problem? It runs better on full choke than off but it's cold here though I do let it warm up for about 5 minutes before riding.

I replaced the plug but the used plug was dry and a nice brown.

Could this be the dreaded CDI failure?

Any ideas? Any diagnostic tips?

XL600 Noob here.

• cleonard

Posted November 16, 2007 - 05:13 PM

This sounds like it might be the dreaded stator issue. This is just about what my bike did. However, before tearing into the stator you need to eliminate all other possibilities.

One thing to try is check the spark. Do it before you start it so you have a reference. Pull the plug wire and use a spare plug. Kick and look at the spark. Then run the bike till it quits. Then check the spark again. If the spark is missing or really wimpy then it points at the stator.

• Timmerz

Posted November 16, 2007 - 09:16 PM

Almost sounds like a venting problem...run the bike until it starts to die and then pop the gas cap and see if it quickly comes back to full rpm's again...

• Tallerman

Posted November 17, 2007 - 01:51 PM

I have a spark checker I will use to test the spark value. The PO pointed out that the CDI is the original and might fail. I might want to change it just for insurance. Do you know the best source for that part?

I will also check the fuel tank cap for flow.

Tallerman

• rangerman

Posted November 17, 2007 - 04:31 PM

don't want to sound like an ass but do you have to give it gas to keep it idling? If so then turn up your idle, because I had an 86 xr250 and it would die if I let off the gas, then I turned the idle up and no problems since, then I sold it....good luck!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tallerman

Posted November 17, 2007 - 04:40 PM

don't want to sound like an ass but do you have to give it gas to keep it idling? If so then turn up your idle, because I had an 86 xr250 and it would die if I let off the gas, then I turned the idle up and no problems since, then I sold it....good luck!!!

You don't sound at all assish. I will try that too. I did play with the idle settings but since I am not expert with the dual carbs, I was quite tentative.

I wonder why the bike would start from cold fine, idle fine during warmup, then not restart at all after dying. Doesn't seem like an idle adjustment to me but I am willing to give that a try too--could be the cold weather has changed the carb necessities.

(I will also confirm that the carbs really are getting a full shot of fuel. There's no fuel filter I can see so there might be a clogged fuel line somewhere.)

So far:
fuel line
idle adjustment
New CDI
tank cap clogged

Thank you all

• exaresix

Posted November 17, 2007 - 06:40 PM

Sounds like a clogged idle jet to me. Pull the bowl off, clean the idle jet, and you'll be on your way. If you're not sure what jet is the pilot jet, check out a schematic on www.bikebandit.com

• Timmerz

Posted November 18, 2007 - 11:33 AM

I did play with the idle settings but since I am not expert with the dual carbs, I was quite tentative.

Not to worry about the dual carb thing....the left carb is the only one with any idle effect at all, since the right one doesn't even start feeding gas untill the left one is more than 25% (+-) open...at least that's the way my '83 is carbed with the dual-carb setup...I don't think they changed that until they went back to the single carb...

• martinfan30

Posted November 18, 2007 - 12:24 PM

are you sure the pilot circuit is not restricted?

• Tallerman

Posted November 18, 2007 - 01:51 PM

are you sure the pilot circuit is not restricted?

I Will check that first when I tear into in on Thursday. That should be an easy check and fix.

Thank you.

• Timmerz

Posted November 22, 2007 - 10:26 AM

I Will check that first when I tear into in on Thursday. That should be an easy check and fix.

Thank you.

{taps foot impatiently}
Tallerman, you get into that problem yet?
:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.