?? about hotcams going in 01 yz 426

11 replies to this topic
  • yzguy459

Posted November 16, 2007 - 02:58 PM

This is my first time going through the engine, im putting in a wiseco piston and in/ex hot cams on my 2001 yz426. i was just curious about the valve clearance. since the hot cams have slightly bigger lobs on them does that mean i have to get smaller shims to keep the clearance the same? Oh, and i was wondering wat the opinions r on the titanium 4 silencer with a powerbomb header, good sound? good power jump?

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2007 - 03:18 PM

The exhaust you mention is a good one, and its biggest benefit is not in th eincrease of peak power, but in how wide and flat the curve will be.

If the increase in lift means anything to valve clearance, it would mean that the shims may need to be larger, not smaller. Why? because there is often a limit to how tall the cam can be for design reasons, and they are often built very nearly that tall stock, again for sound mechanical reasons. In that case, lift is added by making the base circle smaller, not by making the lobes taller. Lift is the difference the height of the cam to the center of the shaft at the low spot, or heel, and the height of the cam from the shaft center to the top of the lobe.

Most times, YZ4** cams are ground with the base circle at a diameter very similar to the OEM cam, so the shims will be very close to, or even the same as, if you're real lucky, the ones you have now. There is, however, no way to know what shims will be needed to adjust the valve clearance without assembling it with the shims you currently have and measuring it.

• Birdy426

Posted November 16, 2007 - 03:20 PM

While the hotcams have more lift (the "pointy part of the lobe is taller), the base circle (the round part of the lobe) is actually a bit smaller than the stock cam. You will need to reshim, but will likely need thicker, not thinner shims.

• yzguy459

Posted November 16, 2007 - 05:01 PM

Thank u for the info, ill check out the clearances when i get her all back together.

• 642MX

Posted November 16, 2007 - 06:13 PM

This is my first time going through the engine, im putting in a wiseco piston and in/ex hot cams on my 2001 yz426. i was just curious about the valve clearance. since the hot cams have slightly bigger lobs on them does that mean i have to get smaller shims to keep the clearance the same? Oh, and i was wondering wat the opinions r on the titanium 4 silencer with a powerbomb header, good sound? good power jump?

Thanks

All that stuff sounds good to me. I have a Wiseco piston, hot cams, and the T-4 exhaust with the p/b header.

You will have to shim up for the hot cams. Check with you local Honda shop, they normally have a good selection of shims (same shims as the CRF450).

The FMF exhaust will broaden up the power. Actually, the stock header with the T-4 slip on will have more punch. The p/b header with the T-4 creates a nice smooth hit. I've tried it both ways, and prefer the p/b header. And it sounds great. :thumbsup:

• maxtherat

Posted November 17, 2007 - 09:54 PM

I had to go with thicker shims as well. The exhuast cam needed the thickest ones compared to the intake. The ti 4 exhaust is really loud. You may want to look into getting a quiet core for it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2007 - 10:39 PM

The ti 4 exhaust is really loud. You may want to look into getting a quiet core for it.

That depends on the length of the can. The 17" one on my '03 is roughly 99-100 db.

• millwright

Posted November 18, 2007 - 03:40 AM

I think HotCams does indeed estimate what a shim change from OEM spec would require, and provides a note of this suggested baseline change in the box. This tells you what direction you need to go with shims (for purchase/order), prior to opening the engine up.

• 642MX

Posted November 18, 2007 - 07:26 AM

You may want to look into getting a quiet core for it.

The 14 inch isn't that loud when properly packed. Mine is 100 db. :thumbsup:

The quiet cores absolutely kill the bottom end. :ride:

• maxtherat

Posted November 18, 2007 - 09:52 AM

You are right. I modified mine to the extent that I met somewhere in the middle.

• Frostbite

Posted November 25, 2007 - 04:21 PM

Did any of you fellas with hotcams degree them in, or just install them with the setting from hotcam?

• stillsun

Posted November 26, 2007 - 08:20 PM

I installed per their marks since I don't have the equipment to degree the cam and haven't had any issues... but shoot at your own risk. :thumbsup:

J

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.