Changing Sprockets

5 replies to this topic
  • jamesinzinna

Posted November 16, 2007 - 01:49 PM

Could some of you verify and help me determine which sprocket sizes would make my 2000 650R go faster on the highways (lowering rpm's):thumbsup: Stock is 14-48 and my local dealer rep said more teeth while my friend and other on line seem to be reducing teeth? I purchased another stock 14 for the front as well as a 15. I am under the impression that one tooth in front is equivelent to four in the back. Anyway, I would like to go faster without reaming the motor on the expressways. Thanks for the feedback. :ride:

• brp2004

Posted November 16, 2007 - 01:51 PM

More teeth in front, fewer teeth in back. Try 15/45 if you are doing mostly road riding. For exclusive road or freeway you will want to go even fewer teeth in the back.

• gearloos

Posted November 16, 2007 - 02:00 PM

yup...smaller sprocket in the back = lower rpm
bigger sprocket in the front = lower rpm

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted November 16, 2007 - 02:22 PM

It is closer to 1 on the front equals 3 on the rear. The big difference between the two is that it is a whole lot easier to change the front sprocket. Since you already have the 15, try it. If you want more then change the back to a 45. I would not go below 45 on the rear if you still plan on riding in the dirt. When you are going for a dirt ride, swap the 14 front back on. It only takes a few minutes to do.

• FoolishMortal

Posted November 16, 2007 - 05:08 PM

It is closer to 1 on the front equals 3 on the rear. The big difference between the two is that it is a whole lot easier to change the front sprocket. Since you already have the 15, try it. If you want more then change the back to a 45. I would not go below 45 on the rear if you still plan on riding in the dirt. When you are going for a dirt ride, swap the 14 front back on. It only takes a few minutes to do.

What he said. :thumbsup:

• absynth01

Posted November 16, 2007 - 07:13 PM

Told ya! 14-45 is my choice. I'm bigger than ya but know you want to fly bye me. It will happen on my L for now, but the CR is in the basement now for a rebuild. Buy a T-CAT and shut up. Think of the DS roads on crotch rockets--thats snowmobile.:thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.