yz exhaust silencer: bump-in repair - HOW?

16 replies to this topic
  • 5valve

Posted November 16, 2007 - 09:03 AM

Fixing and renewing the bike in every aspect, also want to anodize the exhaust, but first, I'd like to straigten it.

Need advice on how to.
Maybe put it in a vice and drive few wedges through it?

how it looks.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• jbrooks26

Posted November 16, 2007 - 10:07 AM

your pictures did not work.

• GCannon

Posted November 16, 2007 - 10:20 AM

Take it apart and try the freezer trick. You might consider plugging one end in order to retain the water better while it freezes.

If that does not work put the can over a steel pipe and lightly tap around the dent with a hammer (easy it is aluminum). This process will leave a poor finish (like a sack of walnuts)

If that does not work let us know what did work

Good luck

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 16, 2007 - 10:52 AM

Probably easier and cheaper to go out and buy the one you want:prof: You'll never get that straight.

• bicyclebob

Posted November 17, 2007 - 11:30 PM

Find the biggest wooden dowel that will fit in the can (about the same radius as the top of the can) and slide it in then use either a hard rubber mallet or a metal working hammer and slowly work out the damage. :thumbsup: You will have to go very slowly and gently or it will cause damage to the aluminum that cannot be worked out. Good luck. Post some photos when your done.

• 5valve

Posted November 19, 2007 - 09:28 AM

Are pics really not visible?

Tried sth similar, but with metal rod and its a no go.
Maybe cutting out the beat-in part, hammering it close to perfection and welding it back.
Will decide end week.

• jbrooks26

Posted November 19, 2007 - 10:06 AM

They are working now, I don't know what happened but it was probably a problem on my end.

• 5valve

Posted November 20, 2007 - 11:23 AM

Decided to cut, not so so bad, welding awaits
pic1
pic2
pic3

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 450-F

Posted November 20, 2007 - 03:28 PM

Do you want it to look brand new? If you do, I'd probably just toss that pipe and start looking on ebay.

• bicyclebob

Posted November 20, 2007 - 08:40 PM

Nice to see someone putting some effort into repairing their equipment instead of just buying a new one. :thumbsup: :ride: Be sure and post your finished pics for us.

• 5valve

Posted November 21, 2007 - 02:35 AM

European ebay is very poor with yammi used parts, thus making those few quite pricey.
No problem, pics will follow.

• 5valve

Posted November 21, 2007 - 02:37 PM

Sth like that, before fine processing
pic1

• 450-F

Posted November 21, 2007 - 03:19 PM

European ebay is very poor with yammi used parts, thus making those few quite pricey.

Oh i see, well I am still interested on how it goes. (I might want to give it a try) :thumbsup:

• 5valve

Posted March 16, 2008 - 04:58 AM

Been a while since started repairs, but so much work to do on the bike.
Exhaust looking like this now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• MaxPower

Posted March 16, 2008 - 07:06 AM

Nice to see someone putting some effort into repairing their equipment instead of just buying a new one. :confused: :excuseme: Be sure and post your finished pics for us.

[COLOR="Green"]What kind of statement is that?Maybe those people that just buy new equipment instead of taking the time to repair have a life full of obligations other than being in the garage [/COLOR]

• 5valve

Posted March 18, 2008 - 07:51 AM

He's just glad seeing someone put some effort in renewing old stuff. Dont feel offended.
I'd like to keep it more technical and less intrusive if you please, thanks.

• blurter

Posted March 18, 2008 - 05:19 PM

Thats some nice welding there 5valve, I'm a boilermaker so I know how much of a pain it is to weld thin aluminium thats not new anymore. well done

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.