XR650R Dead Electrical problem

Hi I own a 2001 XR650R. It is completly modified and uncoked. I have had no problems with the bike to date and use the bike everyday.

This morning I started the bike as normal. But the bike would not idle correctly. I tried turning up the idle screw, but the bike kept dying. I started another 2-3 times, then nothing.

I have checked the plug and there is a spark. I noticed the high tension lead was loose and retightened it. Also the yellow boot is broken at the top.

After many attempts and a huge shot gun backfire the bike started. I rode it around the block and it was going great and then it died.

I have not been able to start it since.

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated.

Hi I own a 2001 XR650R. It is completly modified and uncoked. I have had no problems with the bike to date and use the bike everyday.

This morning I started the bike as normal. But the bike would not idle correctly. I tried turning up the idle screw, but the bike kept dying. I started another 2-3 times, then nothing.

I have checked the plug and there is a spark. I noticed the high tension lead was loose and retightened it. Also the yellow boot is broken at the top.

After many attempts and a huge shot gun backfire the bike started. I rode it around the block and it was going great and then it died.

I have not been able to start it since.

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated.

Make sure the air filter is cleaned and check for any gas restrictions to the carb (tank screen). My friends 600r backfired recently then didn't run right. Apparently the backfire blew the carb out just enough to cause such a problem. Same bike ran sluggish until he cleaned the air filter. Honda thumpers are bullet proof so check all the small obvious things. Strangely, I beat the s*#t out of mine and it keeps roaring. Mine is a 2000 650r with a road tag. Love it!

Hi guys

Thanks for the replys.

I am prety sure it is not fuel related and the air filter (K&N) is spotless.

I also noticed that the spark plug cap must be aftermarket as there is no screw and no resistor.

I checked the CDI conection and found some corrosion on two of the terminals. After cleaning that and some more visual checks, I tryed to start the pig again.

Going through the normal cold start procedure (full choke) she fired up first kick. I turned it of and grabed my lid. She started again first kick.

After 4 laps around the block and 3 nice 2nd gear wheelies, the pig is running great.

Fingers crossed there is nothing else. There is not much to them and it is good to hear they are bullet proof.

The pig is set up in supermoto and goes like a train, I love it.

I have a GSXR1000 and the PIG, great combo. I will post some pictures soon.

Thanks again

• 2 years later...