What's the best GPS set up for bikes?

86 replies to this topic
  • byggd

Posted May 12, 2008 - 01:59 PM

The problem I have found with GPS mileage is the terrain. It is inaccurate going up hill, it is inaccurate on very tight trails. It is perfect on long straight roads. It is more accurate than a speedo if you ride wheelies.

They also work great to calibrate aftermarket speedo units like the Vapor (front wheel down of course)

• ophir

Posted May 12, 2008 - 05:56 PM

I buy from GPSCITY.COM. I personally run a Lowrance H20 Color. They have big screens and removable SD memory cards. Lowrance backs their units 100%. I broke mine while riding. I crashed it hard. I called Lowrance and for $75.00 they would fix it or send me a new one. My unit was damaged to the point where they shipped me a new one. I have three of them and would recommend a Lowrance.

When mounting your GPS unit, beware of vibration. Not in the sense that the unit will vibrate loose. The vibration from the motor coming up the frame and through the handle bars is very hard on GPS units. Over time, the vibration can and will break the unit down. It is important to isolate the GPS unit using a rubber mountain system.

• jonnybmcdonald

Posted May 12, 2008 - 06:55 PM

If you're looking to save some $$$ (for the gas you need to get your bike to the staging areas!) then you can pick up a Garmin GPS V off eBay. I happened to get a new one for $100 a year ago and love it! It used to be the GPS of choice before the 60 series came along. Tracback feature means you never get lost and it's a breeze to use. I've found it's bullet-proof (with plenty of get offs to test that) and it's rock solid with my Ram mount -- don't waste your money on anything else -- it's THE dirt bike mount. Friends have tried to save a few bucks on the mount and they have damaged and/or lost their GPS unit as a result, and toasted their mount -- besides, they're not that expensive.
Hope that helps! Enjoy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dubiousJones

Posted June 14, 2009 - 07:31 AM

Ok, so I need some advice. Want a GPS, looking at these three:

60csx @ $349
76csx @ $295
Colorado 300 @ $375

I was going to get the 60csx, but now the 76csx is cheaper. And other than their shape they're identical (I think the 76 also floats)... but the Colorado 300 is on sale at $375!!. Is it any good for the bikes? Screen looks pretty sick.

• Gassyphil

Posted June 14, 2009 - 08:00 AM

I'm glad I stumbled on to this thread, lots of good info. Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

• PBDBLUE

Posted June 14, 2009 - 09:03 AM

Ok, so I need some advice. Want a GPS, looking at these three:

60csx @ $349
76csx @ $295
Colorado 300 @ $375

I was going to get the 60csx, but now the 76csx is cheaper. And other than their shape they're identical (I think the 76 also floats)... but the Colorado 300 is on sale at $375!!. Is it any good for the bikes? Screen looks pretty sick.

How about a 60CSx for $289?

http://www.amazon.co...44998895&sr=8-1

Or a 76CSx for $249?

http://www.amazon.co...44998960&sr=1-1

Either of these two would be my choice:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted June 14, 2009 - 03:30 PM

I bought a refurbed 60cs for $150 with software. eBay. Works for me.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.