What's the best GPS set up for bikes?

86 replies to this topic
  • mxer1965

Posted April 02, 2008 - 11:32 PM

I only use the GPS for organized events that require them and when I'm in Baja. And, I agree, it's one cart wheel away from finding a home in the trash can.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dirtysouth']Some of these set ups look pretty cool and some look like inhibitors. I have to say that I have the most fun ridin when I get to ride somewhere that I have never ridden and have to figure out where I am. For the places that I have actually ridden, I could just about ride them blind after a few solid rides. I say keep the GPS in your pack because when the tree meets the bars the GPS probably meets the trash can.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='2006wr450f']I crashed good on MLK weekend and my GPS survived.[/QUOTE]

Your not supposed to hit tree's on your bike! :bonk: LOL I'm jokin with ya guys. It's all good. It's funny when I read dirty's post that that old song from George of the Jungle came to mind. Watch Out For That Tree! :confused:

Well I got a 60csx and it works great. I've been using it to document all the single track in the Eastern Sierra and White Mountain Range's to use in the future as we have Jack ASSES in the senate that want to make it all wilderness. :prof:

• William1

Posted April 03, 2008 - 04:55 AM

I run a Garmin 478 on my bike. I made my own mount that attaches to the upper triple instead of clamping it to the bar. I made similar mounts for my other bikes. The GPS is well tucked in and safe. I also added it to my insurance policy to cover damage in a crash ($0 deductible, does not affect rates if a claim is made). I have a hardwire on the bike too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• TheBlackSheep

Posted April 03, 2008 - 05:04 AM

I bought a factory refurbished Garmin Legend. With mount and tax $127 shipped. Works awesome. Not a color picture, and the standard mount has taken 2 good falls and the GPS didn't even budge.

http://www.megagps.com/

.......... bahhh :prof:

• markvfr

Posted April 03, 2008 - 06:43 AM

I found out the hard way (no pun intended) and after one get off in Moab last week, my 60CSX is bye bye. The GPS stayed in the RAM mount but the LCD broke. It was mounted similar to William1 setup. Also, if you do use the RAM mount, remember to tie the leash to the handlebars as they pop out of the mount quite easily on bumpy rides (four times in 20 mins one day).

I'm gonna brainstorm for a better setup for my next unit, but I'll probably go back to the trusty pocket for the time being.

:prof:

• William1

Posted April 03, 2008 - 08:24 AM

I found out the hard way (no pun intended) and after one get off in Moab last week, my 60CSX is bye bye. The GPS stayed in the RAM mount but the LCD broke. It was mounted similar to William1 setup. Also, if you do use the RAM mount, remember to tie the leash to the handlebars as they pop out of the mount quite easily on bumpy rides (four times in 20 mins one day).

I'm gonna brainstorm for a better setup for my next unit, but I'll probably go back to the trusty pocket for the time being.

:prof:

LOL, the 'leash'. Yeah, been thinking about that one. I will have the GPS hardwired so the power cable can possibly do the job. Was also thinking about (kludgey, I know) a simple rubber band. Problem is stored in the brain. I am sure in the next few days, I'll wake in a cold sweat with the solution and have to go into the shop and create what my mind commands me to do.

• anathema

Posted April 03, 2008 - 02:18 PM

As far as choosing a GPS, keep in mind all the garmin maps have been cracked and are downloadable..this is less true for other types of units.

Not that I condone that sort of thing :prof: But if perchance I did condone it, all the maps for my 60c could have been free!

• GCannon

Posted April 03, 2008 - 03:18 PM

LOL, the 'leash'. Yeah, been thinking about that one. I will have the GPS hardwired so the power cable can possibly do the job. Was also thinking about (kludgey, I know) a simple rubber band. Problem is stored in the brain. I am sure in the next few days, I'll wake in a cold sweat with the solution and have to go into the shop and create what my mind commands me to do.

I do some of my best thinking in the shower.:prof:

• The one without bike

Posted April 16, 2008 - 12:59 PM

Hey, you should buy this one :thumbsup:

http://www.thumperta...ct=37501&cat=34

• byggd

Posted April 17, 2008 - 12:46 PM

remember to tie the leash to the handlebars as they pop out of the mount quite easily on bumpy rides (four times in 20 mins one day).

OK gents my Magellan 300 has gone wacky on me so I’m in the market for a new GPS. The Garmin 60csx seems to be the best all around unit, now if I can just find a decent price.

What part pops out? Does the ram mount come apart or does the unit pop out of the ram mount? I used a coupe strips of Velcro to help hold the Magellan in place and it worked pretty well. Never came out and the Velcro also seems to absorb some of the vibration.

For those with the ram mount which arm do you find works best, standard, short or long?

• Lennie

Posted April 17, 2008 - 01:03 PM

Mount it in the place the stock speedo/trip meter lives, much safer there and seeing the garmin has a speedo/odometer you wont miis any info.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted April 17, 2008 - 03:41 PM

Mount it in the place the stock speedo/trip meter lives, much safer there and seeing the garmin has a speedo/odometer you wont miis any info.

Not sure there is room there with the Vapor...
Posted Image

• PBDBLUE

Posted April 19, 2008 - 06:36 AM

Not sure about the UK but here in the US a lot of events require an odometer that can be incremented in 1/10th mile steps. GPS won't do that so unfortunately you really need both a GPS and an Odo.

• William1

Posted April 19, 2008 - 08:08 AM

GPS mileage is not as accurate (assuming your speedo is calibrated) as your speedo.

• anathema

Posted April 19, 2008 - 09:51 PM

I would hate to say William1 but I disagree :thumbsup:

A gps in one point is only accurate to 20 feet or whatever it is, but over a long track, it is VERY accurate..0.001 km etc.

Just like GPS speed..each point taken not super accurate, but when averaged out to get speed, the speed is accurate to less than a tenth of kilometer per hour.

Where GPS can mess you up for an Odo is if you are moving VERY slow or stopped, the gps can log a few meters that you haven't actually moved.

The downside to an odo like you mention is calibration. The problem with calibration, especially on a dirt bike, is the reading will change significantly with tire size (read, knob length).

As you wear your knobs down, if you don't recalibrate very often, even a small error introduced, gets integrated into a very large error. With gps this is not a problem since each error is absolute not relative. So it gets averaged out instead of integrated in. The longer the track odo time, the more accurate.

• William1

Posted April 20, 2008 - 03:17 AM

The problem I have found with GPS mileage is the terrain. It is inaccurate going up hill, it is inaccurate on very tight trails. It is perfect on long straight roads. It is more accurate than a speedo if you ride wheelies.

• Lennie

Posted April 21, 2008 - 12:40 AM

The accuracy of my GPS odometer is 100% better than the broken stock one i removed. :thumbsup: :ride: :rant: :lol:

• markvfr

Posted April 21, 2008 - 10:48 AM

OK gents my Magellan 300 has gone wacky on me so I’m in the market for a new GPS. The Garmin 60csx seems to be the best all around unit, now if I can just find a decent price.

What part pops out? Does the ram mount come apart or does the unit pop out of the ram mount? I used a coupe strips of Velcro to help hold the Magellan in place and it worked pretty well. Never came out and the Velcro also seems to absorb some of the vibration.

For those with the ram mount which arm do you find works best, standard, short or long?

The unit pops out of the ram mount. I will use a thick rubber band around the unit when it comes back from repairs but the velcro seems like a good idea. Thanks. I'll look into it.

Cheers,
:thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted April 21, 2008 - 01:34 PM

The unit pops out of the ram mount. I will use a thick rubber band around the unit when it comes back from repairs but the velcro seems like a good idea. Thanks. I'll look into it.

Cheers,

Thanks Mark. What size are are you using on the ram mount?

• markvfr

Posted April 21, 2008 - 04:33 PM

Thanks Mark. What size are are you using on the ram mount?

Hey byggd, I don't know what size it is, but here are the part #:

RAM-B-138-GA12
RAM-HOL-GA12 Holder
RAM-B-238 Attachment Diamond and Ball
RAM-B-201 Standard Arm (3")

Cheers:

• MC4FUN

Posted May 12, 2008 - 12:51 PM

From PBDBLUE:
" They sort of misled you. Yes it will save a track but doesn't allow uploading saved tracks to the Zumo. The only way you can upload them is to convert them to routes which have a 50 point resolution limit (vs 500 for a track)."

PBDBLUE thanks for the information on the Zumo. That is the exact peice of information I needed. Been using a Map76S since 2003 and looking to get a new GPS unit. Not sure if I will take the price break and get a 76Cx or try the new Colorado. I use my GPS while riding, like zoom in zoom out, turn MapSource maps on and off and other function and I am a bit concerned with the ability to do this with the Colorado's single button. But I do like every bit of extra screen size I can get.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.