What's the best GPS set up for bikes?

86 replies to this topic
  • 04WR450F

Posted November 18, 2007 - 06:52 PM

How's this stand up to the vibes? Is it hardwired or AA powered?

I've had no problems with vibrations. The RAM mount is very solid. I like how you can adjust where the GPS unit is.

It's not hard wired yet. I just use batteries but I think I'll get the wiring kit that is available.

After reading this thread, I need to learn how to better utilize the features that are available. I need to find out what is the best software for off roading. Any recommendations?

• rich1167

Posted November 19, 2007 - 06:01 AM

I've had no problems with vibrations. The RAM mount is very solid. I like how you can adjust where the GPS unit is.

It's not hard wired yet. I just use batteries but I think I'll get the wiring kit that is available.

After reading this thread, I need to learn how to better utilize the features that are available. I need to find out what is the best software for off roading. Any recommendations?

I would go with an old copy of Mapsource Roads & Recreation from E-bay. If you get any kind of topo software with a Black and white screen you wont be able to tell the differance between roads and contour lines. You could go to
http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/ and see screen shots of all the differant maping software in the area you ride.
Heres a link for Roads and Rec: http://www8.garmin.c...Source/RnR.jsp#
Be carefull with the hardwire kit. My 60CSX can take up 23V DC. But some models need a voltage regulator. Just make sure you get the right set up or you could smoke your GPS. Here is another good web site for connectors and hard wire options:http://www.pfranc.com/
As you can see iv spent way to much time researching this.:thumbsup:

• PBDBLUE

Posted November 19, 2007 - 08:40 AM

I would go with an old copy of Mapsource Roads & Recreation from E-bay. If you get any kind of topo software with a Black and white screen you wont be able to tell the differance between roads and contour lines.

Agreed though you can set the detail to the lower/lowest position and get rid of it but with B&W it can be a little difficult. The new version of Topo (Topo 2008) works fine with the color units. Amazon has it for $59.10 + free shipping. I usually load both City Navigator and Topo then switch on whichever I want to use. CN is handy for finding an on-road escape route since it autoroutes and has services listed (like gas/food). I also have Roads and Rec but find that CN has just about everything Roads and Rec has. For a low cost solution R&R will work nicely.

• 04WR450F

Posted November 19, 2007 - 04:29 PM

Will Roads and Rec have National Forrest trails? Are you guys saying that since I have a black and white screen, that it'll be difficult to see what's what on the screen?

• rich1167

Posted November 19, 2007 - 05:18 PM

I ride Rampart, Ranbow falls and 717. Roads & Rec has all the fire roads and streams. It even has some of the minor trails and streams. Go to this link:
http://www8.garmin.c...Source/RnR.jsp#
Within that page their is a map veiwer. In the map veiwer page zoom in on the area you want to veiw. Look at maps where you ride. Sometimes you will need to reload to see the map.

Use this link to veiw current maping software. Such as topo 2008 and City Navigator: http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/
Topo maps on a B&W screen do not work well due to all the contour lines. R&R is not a topo map.

• XRsteve

Posted November 19, 2007 - 08:28 PM

I ordered the 60CSx, RAM mount, wire kit and a Scotts dampner late today.

Wow, somebody spent a lot of money.

Seriously, this is a great thread. I just happened to come across it because it had a recent post. I've seen threads like this in the adventure forum, but not with so many pics. I've been thinking about getting a GPS for XR650L, so this information is really helpful.

• suzukipoo

Posted November 20, 2007 - 02:57 AM

I am using a garmin foretrex 201 with bike mount batt will last 3 days of riding! Awesome at only R1800 or $240!!!

• 04WR450F

Posted November 20, 2007 - 05:01 PM

Thanks Rich1167. I've got some stuff to look into and now I know where to start.

• bandit99

Posted November 25, 2007 - 10:24 PM

I have been using the Garmin Topo US. I have a older version but this is a link to the latest. http://www.amazon.co...6057762&sr=8-10 Kind of pricey but it is very detailed. It will show elevation, fire roads and a lot of MC trails. If you need to use this for a longer distance dual sport rides then you might need more memory for your Garmin. I have a Etrex Legend CX and it has been great. The legend is very good and does everything I need it to but the 60CSX is a nicer model.

• runeo

Posted November 25, 2007 - 11:51 PM

Working really good both sitting on transport and standing otherwise.
It is a Garmin 2820 (BMW NAV III)
/Rune
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fake Name

Posted December 06, 2007 - 02:36 PM

The Zumo for instance does not support uploading/downloading of tracks and is not a good choice for your application.

I called Garmin about this today, and they say it does support tracks. I'm considering this unit- am I missing something?

thanks.

fn

• PBDBLUE

Posted December 06, 2007 - 05:32 PM

They sort of misled you. Yes it will save a track but doesn't allow uploading saved tracks to the Zumo. The only way you can upload them is to convert them to routes which have a 50 point resolution limit (vs 500 for a track).

• Mister2112

Posted December 09, 2007 - 07:26 AM

I ride a 2008 KRL650 75% of the time on long trips ( Street )

The other 25% of the time is riding long rides thru deserts + Mountain areas.

I would also like to use the same unit in My RV or car if I want.

Or even use it on a long Hike in the Mountains.

I am currently trying to decide which GPS Unit will work best for me.

Garmin Zumo 550 or the Garmin GPSMAP CSx??

• Snap421

Posted December 13, 2007 - 02:31 PM

Go for the GPS Map 60CSX. It's more versatile than the Zumo. You won't be dissapointed.

• PenGun

Posted December 13, 2007 - 07:23 PM

I looked pretty hard at this and I'm gonna get a laptop and a USB GPS device. The advantages of using GPS against Googleearth are just too huge to pass by.

I can baby the setup in a backpack. I need to find nearly invisible trails and invisible possible trails to hook logging road networks together and get past ravines in the incomparable Vancouver Island bush.

Prospecting is one excuse but we know why we do it :banghead:.

• KennyMc

Posted December 17, 2007 - 11:51 AM

Just ordered the GPS Map 60CSx at PC Nation for $327.15 with free 3 day shipping and no tax. This will net down to $277.15 after the $50 mail in rebate.:banghead:

• Mister2112

Posted December 17, 2007 - 06:30 PM

Check Amazon.com I think they have the 60CSx the cheapest right now.

• KennyMc

Posted December 17, 2007 - 06:52 PM

Check Amazon.com I think they have the 60CSx the cheapest right now.

$326.97 :busted: :banghead: I could have saved $.18:thumbsup: Just fun'n

• rich1167

Posted December 17, 2007 - 06:54 PM

With Amazon. Their free shipping takes a week and a day if your lucky. Heres what they say:

Select Super Saver Shipping as your shipping speed. Please note that your order may take an additional 3 to 5 business days to ship out from our fulfillment center. Transit time for Super Saver Shipping orders is 5 to 9 business days after shipping.

• KennyMc

Posted December 17, 2007 - 07:03 PM

With Amazon. Their free shipping takes a week and a day if your lucky. Heres what they say:

Select Super Saver Shipping as your shipping speed. Please note that your order may take an additional 3 to 5 business days to ship out from our fulfillment center. Transit time for Super Saver Shipping orders is 5 to 9 business days after shipping.

Well, PCnation says 3 days so we will see what happens (it was free as well)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.