Adding to the Stable?!?

4 replies to this topic
  • hyperlite33

Posted November 15, 2007 - 06:42 PM

Hey Guys...After much thought into converting my DRZ400SM to dirt, I have decided on getting a dedicated dirt bike to add to the garage. I have found a '01 YZ426F with FMF full pipe, hydraulic clutch and seems in really nice shape. I haven't started it yet, hopefully will get to do that in the next couple of days...but had two questions:

1) Is there anything I should look for that would show it hasn't been beat or hidden things I should look for when I check it out again? (I had memorized the starting procedure, so hopefully I get past that!)

2)If it checks out, does $1700 sound like a good deal?

I plan on doing some track riding for fun and trails. Not worried about the weight since I am a bigger guy, but I am also considering a CR250 also since it is $500 cheaper.
Any help would be appreciated!!!!

• hyperlite33

Posted November 16, 2007 - 09:17 AM

ANYONE???? :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz250o2

Posted November 16, 2007 - 10:38 AM

Ok....before you buy that thing man... check under the frame! That's number one. I bought a yz250 that had a cave in on the bottom of the frame under the skidplate:foul: ( I had to fill it in with solid weld). The seller hidden it with the skidplate. We also own a 02 wr426 and all i gotta say is that the yz426 is one of the most durable bikes made. I would say it's more durable than my stupid aluminum framed 450f. For the kinds of things your going to be doing --half track ,half trail, and your a heavy guy...the 426 has plenty of torque to haul you around. Don't get a CR i had a CR and the Mikuni carbs they had are crap:thumbsdn: .
1700 sounds ok....I would say that would be great. I believe they are going for 23-2500 now.

• blue9red9

Posted November 16, 2007 - 12:31 PM

I have had that bike. The starting thing is easy once you do it, no problem. The price sounds good. Just look it over like any other bike. I can't remember any specific problems I had that another bike wouldn't have. My buddy bought one new, rode it for 6 years and beat it bad. It took it all, never gave in, and he still got $2k for it last month. That was a 2000 model as was mine.

• hyperlite33

Posted November 16, 2007 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for the reply guys...I went and checked it out again and it looks solid. There wasn't a thing I could find wrong with it. It took one kick to get the hang of the starting procedure and two more after that and it fired right up!! The CR250 that I also looked at, we never did get it started! And I thought this 426 was going to be the hard one to start!!! As soon as the owner gets back into town, I hope to pick this thing up.
Thanks again!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.