Yz450 07 Tank Bolts Stripped :confused:

7 replies to this topic
  • Daz_426_02

Posted November 15, 2007 - 02:33 AM

Hi guys,
On a 07 450 there are 4 bolts holding each side radiator shroud in place.
The bolt closest to the back of the bike (not the one under the seat) has become seized. ( I think from the clearing chemicals i use)

When i have tried to remove the bolt the insert that is in the tank just turns. I have tried tapping the bolt to crack the seal as it were. No luck :busted:

Anyone else have this problem? Oh and its on both sides of the bike. Any suggestions on how to remove it now without buying a new tank :ride:

And before anyone asks... No i didnt over tighten them, they have seized from the cleaning chemical i use ( is my best guess) and i have since lubed each of those remaining bolts with copper compound to make sure they too don't get seized in.

Any info is much appreciated.... :thumbsup:

• bthomas

Posted November 15, 2007 - 02:47 AM

Maybe this will help, I think it's the same basic concept. http://www.crfsonly....ank shroud bolt

• Daz_426_02

Posted November 15, 2007 - 02:58 AM

Thanks for the link... although melting the tank leaves me a little worried..

• grayracer513

Posted November 15, 2007 - 05:33 AM

We just went through this over the weekend:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • clayton mclean

Posted November 15, 2007 - 06:53 PM

I have an 07 and mine did the same thing. Mine was like that the frist time i tried to take them off. How have you made out with yours.

• Daz_426_02

Posted November 15, 2007 - 10:21 PM

Well last night i managed to drill them both out carefully.
First i put a small 3mm bit in as a pilot whole, then i used a 6mm bit. As soon as the 6mm bit got past the head of the bolt, the bolts head came off.

Now i have taken an M6 bolt and cut the head off, to basically give me a stud. Then i cut a slot into the one end of the stud with a very thin grinding disc.

Then i mixed up some epoxy and pushed it into the bolt whole and screwed the stud in. Now if when i ever take the shrouds off again, then i can at least hold the stud with a flat screwdriver while loosening the nut if the insert starts to turn again. Might not be the prettiest fix. But it sure beats destroying the tank to get it off.

• Daz_426_02

Posted November 16, 2007 - 12:59 AM

Here is what mine looks like now....

Posted Image

• bthomas

Posted November 16, 2007 - 03:26 AM

Good idea!

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.