does anyone know where to get black xr650r plastics?

15 replies to this topic
  • dmvmechanics

Posted November 14, 2007 - 11:17 PM

i bought a '01 650r and i was thinking of converting it to black. any info??

• bongodave

Posted November 15, 2007 - 05:52 AM

Xr's Only has some black parts. I just got sidecovers. Paid 110 for the left with the screen on it, but it looks so trick! Cheaper without the screen, or you could drill/cut out your own holes, if you want.
I think there's some on epay, but I don't like that little racket. I don't know if XR's carries black rear fenders for the R, but they have the front for 50-something bucks. I just got a UFO universal for half that.
My baja designs front numberplate was broken, so I ordered a black one from them. 35 bucks.
I have a big clark tank that came with the bike. The stocker looks cooler, but that thing burns so much gas, I'd have to fill it up constantly. It's a clear one. I looked into a used black tank here on TT, but found out that while the plastic is black, they still paint it, too.
For the money, I'll just paint the clear one and the radiator shrouds. If I scratch it, I can always touch it up. :thumbsup:

• dmvmechanics

Posted November 15, 2007 - 05:09 PM

yeah, i might end up doin' that. but i would much rather have black plastic. how is the heat factor w/ black?

• chevyjk33

Posted November 16, 2007 - 03:54 PM

There are sets of black side panels on eBay for $59 shipped. Way cheaper than UFO. I should get mine next week. Hopefully the quality is up to snuff. I believe the seller Is Moto-z. If you put in "XR650R Black side" they should pop up.

• black in RI

Posted November 16, 2007 - 05:38 PM

Painted my side panels balck.... no issues with heat.

• FoolishMortal

Posted November 16, 2007 - 07:28 PM

Painted my side panels balck.... no issues with heat.

I'm going to do that this weekend - what did you use?

• black in RI

Posted November 16, 2007 - 08:46 PM

i scuffed teh plastic with real fine sand paper

then hit it with spray paint especially for plastic from lowe's

let it dry ... voila!

• Black Mesa Offroad

Posted November 16, 2007 - 08:46 PM

I'm going to do that this weekend - what did you use?

I painted my side panels also. I used Krylon Fusion paint.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FoolishMortal

Posted November 16, 2007 - 09:29 PM

Both versions sound like my plan. :thumbsup:

• BWB63

Posted November 16, 2007 - 10:28 PM

Posted Image

This plasic has been painted for more then three years now and it is getting rough looking. Lots of very high speed get off's. Falling over is a must! I just can't beleave how well the paint has held up. It does come off and scratch through. I have touched it up almost two years ago but, haven't done anything to it in a long time. Was after a 60mph get off up at Jawbone that bent both rims, bent the exhaust, mess the bike up real bad but, all I had to do was sand the scratches out an paint and it looked like new again. I do have a set of black side panels off ebay that I have not fixed up for the bike yet....but, some day I will finaly retire these four year old stock side panels. Need some radiator scoops also.......they have really been through the test, be nice if they sold black ones of them!

• hondacrf150f1

Posted November 17, 2007 - 01:33 PM

There are sets of black side panels on eBay for $59 shipped. Way cheaper than UFO. I should get mine next week. Hopefully the quality is up to snuff. I believe the seller Is Moto-z. If you put in "XR650R Black side" they should pop up.

Warning these plastics dont fit as good as they should!:thumbsup: i spent 5 minites trying to shape and mold the airbox side panel into place! im very happy with them for the price's my homemade venting

Posted Image

• Fingers

Posted November 17, 2007 - 11:38 PM

I guess it's hit or miss. I got alsonthem from Moto-Z on eBay and they fit better than stock. The gloss black shows scuffs but thats the price for wanting black.

• dmvmechanics

Posted November 18, 2007 - 08:13 AM

well, i might just have to try painting them first and see where that takes me.

• David_G

Posted November 18, 2007 - 08:41 AM

I think the black make the pig look thinner. HAhahe.

Hey dude that bike looks familiar.
The scratches and damage come out of the plastics much easier then they do the rider huh.

I have the Black:
UFO rear fender, seems much thinner then stock and the light lens does not fit very well.

Black Moto-ZTech side panels, fit fine, gloss black looks great.
They are pretty soft and scratch real easy. A little fusion paint should work wonders on then after some hard trail miles take their toll.

Painted the stock tank black but have yet to put it on. I need larger capacity more then I need style.

Black Acerbis CRF front fender. I hate it. It is very thin and flops all over the place.
The stock bolts have to have washer placed on them to tighen up.
I was just riding the woops just out side of San Felipe Mx and had to stop to see if suspension was broken. The banging noise was coming from the front fender flopping around.

I have painted my shrouds black but my tie down straps scratched them up before my first ride. I have blacks one on order.

David G

• BWB63

Posted November 18, 2007 - 09:04 AM

Hey, good look'n where have you been?
Where did you order black shrouds? I sure would like to get those......
I haven't put the black side panels on because I have to trim them to fit my CR250R fender and I haven't desided on the holes in the air filter side. Maybe I will wait till I can get some black shrouds so, I can crash them as a set:banghead:

We are going to camp at sunfair starting Wensday or Thursday.

How was Mexico? Did you go down and see Gene Lane run? Shoot me an "E" and let me know. We are planning a Dumont or Oco run just after CHRISTmas. Let me know what would work for you.

• XR680RR

Posted November 18, 2007 - 09:17 AM

I would like to go on one of your guys rides if I could be invited:excuseme:

Are these big group rides or just your families? I remember the piglets and pigfests years ago. I was at the Beaumont ride that was years ago. Sure would be nice to have a So. Cal. XR650R fest again even though lots of riders have moved on to owning other bikes as well. Sorry for hi-jacking this thread.....back to what we were talking about:bonk:

I would like to know about the black shrouds as well. I have the black side panels and front fender but, nothing else. I heard that if you paint the tank black that the fumes leak through the tank and lift the paint off the tank.

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.