87 cr500 new piston?

4 replies to this topic
  • dyhi

Posted November 14, 2007 - 07:32 PM

On my 87 cr the bore is in spec but there is no more cross hatching. Can I just do a quick ball hone and slap the piston in as long as it's still in spec? Or are there some special things I should know about?

• heykenny

Posted November 14, 2007 - 09:18 PM

take the extra time to measure a new piston and calculate the actual piston/cylinder clearance..that is the clearance the engine will notice.. check that and out-of-round, taper and physical condition.. if you're getting good after good after good.. sweet!.. de-glaze with a ball hone and run it... if you're lucky enough to have multiple pistons to choose from(like a dealers inventory) measure 'em all and pick the biggest one (for your correct bore size of course)and tighten 'er up a bit

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • absynth01

Posted November 15, 2007 - 07:16 AM

Good advice. I have only had to rebuild my '87 CR500 once, due to coolant meltdown. This CR has never left me stranded(except once), even through dice runs, MX trax, quarrys, flips, spills, collisions(HEAVY sportsman), and a deer. I have not met anyone else with this year bike. It has been murder on my body, but is a blast to ride!!. You can make a lot of power with that motor. Really pisses off my 650R buddies!!!

• heykenny

Posted November 15, 2007 - 01:26 PM

Really pisses off my 650R buddies!!!

I know... I had an 86 I bought new and ran for years.. great machine.. and this was back when people still had xl600s and TT500s and others.... used to talk smack 'bout fourstroke hill climbing and how they would eat my 500 'cuz they had some 600 piston or whatever the lie of the day was.... 1 blast of roost from the rapidly disappearing CR and all of a sudden the talk would turn to the weather... HHaaaa Haaaaaaa HHHHHHHaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

• CRF500

Posted November 15, 2007 - 06:03 PM

I liked the 87 n 88 500 the best.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Honda MB5/CR80 Hybrid by mitsudriver274

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

CR250R Problem by BradyB

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

1993 CR250 BUILD by spodeboy by spodeboy

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Restoration CR125 2003 - From Chile by McGrau

• Hot  58 replies
Forums
Photo

2006 honda crf 250r keeps dying by johnfowler25

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.