kalispel Montana

13 replies to this topic
  • lewichris

Posted March 28, 2002 - 05:14 AM

Anyone on thumper talk from there or ride there. My fiance and i are thinking of moving there for a 5 year stint or so. Is there any riding around and what is it like there. Any info would help and i need a news paper so that i can check out the classifieds. If any one could mail me one i would be happy to pay for shipping. Thank you.

Chris

• YAMAKAZE

Posted March 28, 2002 - 05:20 AM

Montana??? I take it you will also be looking for spiked tires so you an ol'blue can escape the cabin fever syndrome?

Too cold for me.....Do they make a snow plow attachment for a WR/YZ?

Bonzai :)

• lewichris

Posted March 28, 2002 - 06:44 AM

Cold. Naw alaska and canada are cold. Talk about beautiful country. It is about the same climate there as it is here but a little cooler in the summer. And i do have a paddle i guess i could put lag bolts through. maybe extend my swing arm about 15-20 inches. Cool.

• canucklehead_DRZ400

Posted March 28, 2002 - 08:26 AM

A couple of hours north and you are in Canada. There is plenty of riding up here, only about 7-8 months of the year though.

• cueball

Posted March 28, 2002 - 12:09 PM

Hey Chris!

I have a cabin in Whitefish, only about 10 minutes from Kalispell!!

I don't haul the bike down, because I haven't found any locals who can show me around (at least the first time).

If you end up doing the move, I'm sure we'll hook-up. And hey, if I can do the drive to Kalispell from Calgary for the weekend, you can surely come visit us up here....

Randy

• lewichris

Posted March 28, 2002 - 12:58 PM

this is true

• theron

Posted March 28, 2002 - 07:52 PM

KALISPELL IS AN AWESOME PLACE TO LIVE, JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A JOB LINED UP BEFORE YOU GO THERE. I LIVED THER FOR 3 YEARS AND JUST MOVED FROM THERE. NEARLY ALL OF THE RIDING IS UP IN THE MOUNTAINS, WHICH IN THAT PART OF THE STATE ARE VERY HEAVILY WOODED. THESE MOUNTAINS ARE SNOW COVERED AND COLD FOR ABOUT 7 MONTHS OF THE YEAR, WHICH MAKES FOR A SHORT RIDING SEASON, BUT WHEN YOU CAN RIDE THERE ARE GOOD TRAILS IN SOME INCREDIBLE COUNTRY (DON'T BE SURPRISED TO ENCOUNTER A BEAR OR TWO WHILE RIDING). THE ONE EXCEPTION IS LAKE KOOCANUSA, WHICH HAS SOME GOOD RIDING IN THE DRY LAKE BED UNTIL THE RESERVOIR FILLS UP. THIS AREA IS SOMETIMES RIDABLE THROUGH MOST OF THE WINTER. KALISPELL IS A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE BUT DON'T EXPECT TO MAKE ANY MONEY WORKING THERE.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • theron

Posted March 28, 2002 - 07:54 PM

KALISPELL IS AN AWESOME PLACE TO LIVE, JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A JOB LINED UP BEFORE YOU GO THERE. I LIVED THER FOR 3 YEARS AND JUST MOVED FROM THERE. NEARLY ALL OF THE RIDING IS UP IN THE MOUNTAINS, WHICH IN THAT PART OF THE STATE ARE VERY HEAVILY WOODED. THESE MOUNTAINS ARE SNOW COVERED AND COLD FOR ABOUT 7 MONTHS OF THE YEAR, WHICH MAKES FOR A SHORT RIDING SEASON, BUT WHEN YOU CAN RIDE THERE ARE GOOD TRAILS IN SOME INCREDIBLE COUNTRY (DON'T BE SURPRISED TO ENCOUNTER A BEAR OR TWO WHILE RIDING). THE ONE EXCEPTION IS LAKE KOOCANUSA, WHICH HAS SOME GOOD RIDING IN THE DRY LAKE BED UNTIL THE RESERVOIR FILLS UP. THIS AREA IS SOMETIMES RIDABLE THROUGH MOST OF THE WINTER. KALISPELL IS A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE BUT DON'T EXPECT TO MAKE ANY MONEY WORKING THERE.

• Salsahh

Posted March 29, 2002 - 05:21 PM

Look tell ya what im from Butte montana i work for a oil additive company and make it just fine the riding is AWESOME go anywhere see no one that you don't want to. screw rules if you ain't got a sticker don't worry they don't care i go from work to riding in 15 minutes beautful country nice people no bs im going to climb a 6000 foot mountain tommorow in gods country on my yz250f and as far as cold and snow goes im one of the TRUE DIEHARDS i go places only snowmobilers can. You know what they can't keep up why i got spikes in my tires and rip it up in fact this winter around january it was about 5-10 degrees and a foot of fresh snow and i ripped a wheelie by a snowmobiler and the look me and my buddy got was unreal i'd say if you got the balls you can ride 365 days a year if not maybe three quarters to half and the best part is NO PEOPLE ANYWHERE find that in cali or anywhere else in the country

Salsahh

can't do the kalispel paper but can do great falls, billings, helena, missoula, butte, whitehall, and bozeman papers

:) :D :D :D :D

• cueball

Posted March 30, 2002 - 10:25 PM

Chris, I've dug around & found a "Mountain Trader" from a couple of weeks ago in my truck. It is the local free classified ad paper from Kalispell/Whitefish.

I have also asked some buddies that are going down this weekend to bring back a Kalispell paper, so I hope to have that next Wednesday. I'll ship them off to you as soon as I get it.

SalsaHH is right on about the town. It's a great place, lakes everywhere & wilderness galore. If the job is there, anywhere in the Flathead Valley would be a great place to live.

I'll be in touch...

Randy.

• banffboy

Posted March 31, 2002 - 03:59 PM

Chris,

Met some guys from Kalispel this weekend. You should have come to Koocanusa. Tyrel and Sean had a great time, the riding was really good, just a little snow deep in the bush.

Banffboy

• Chaindrive

Posted March 31, 2002 - 06:07 PM

[ April 01, 2002: Message edited by: Chaindrive ]

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted April 01, 2002 - 03:04 AM

You guys are right, Montana is God's country! My in-laws have property in the Bitterroot valley. I've never been to Kalispell but I have been as far north as Polson. I hope to be living somewhere in that state within 5 years. Work won't be an issue for me so I will have some flexibility as to where I can go.

Mike

• Yamahauler

Posted April 02, 2002 - 02:48 PM

I grew up in Eureka, which is about 70mi north of "cowsbell". I used to ride in the reservoir (Koocanusa) when I was in highschool, and it used to be a blast. Wide open area with big sand hills, at least that's the way it used to be. I'll be there in August for my 20yr reunion (Christ I'm gettin' old !!!) if anyone is up that way and wants to hook up for a ride or two...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.