Which oil in 07 450?

68 replies to this topic
  • 02YZFkid

Posted November 14, 2007 - 03:57 PM

Hey guys,
I just made the purchase last week and I have not recieved the bike yet. I dont have the manual, and I cant see which oil they recommend you use(which weight). I'm gonna place the order with amsoil tonight, and I was just wondering what the factory says should be used, and what you guys like to use.
I was also kinda curious if you guys had any specific brands you liked best. Is the amsoil overkill?
Finally... should I hold off from using the amsoil for a few oil changes while I break it in? What oil do you guys like to use for break in, and how many times do you use it before switching over to the good stuff?

Thanks,
Rob

• yamaha racing 230

Posted November 14, 2007 - 04:02 PM

any non synthetic motorcycle oil will work for break in , amsoil is good but shell rotella is best for ure money and change is often and u will have no problems ,trust me u will her many opinonins on what o use , lol another oil thread

• KAS

Posted November 14, 2007 - 04:49 PM

I just run what the book says.

Yamalube 4 20-40

• todds924

Posted November 14, 2007 - 05:49 PM

Any "car" oil is a joke. Any Motorcycle specific oil is what you need to use. JASO/MA spec.

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 14, 2007 - 05:50 PM

i run golden spectro simi synthetic.. love the stuff. ive been using 20-50. if you use the clutch alot stay away from a full synthetic it will give you the feeling the clutch is slipping.

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2007 - 06:20 PM

Enough BS and mythology, already. There's no harm in using a high quality synthetic for break in, and in fact, you're better off with it. The only real problem with it is that you probably won't run the bike that hard during the first hour, and then you'll do an oil change right away. But that's what I always use, because I have it on hand, and then I don't have to go get anything.

Oil weight in the manual is recommended on the basis of temperature operating range. For anything between 10 and 110 degrees F, 10w-40 is correct.

Synthetic oils do NOT cause clutch problems, oils that don't conform to JASO MA do.

If you use Amsoil, be sure you specify MCF or MCV "Synthetic Motorcycle Oil". Others of their products are incorrect for the application.

Download a printable manual from:

http://www.yamaha-mo...ice/manuals.jsp

Read more on oil:

http://www.thumperta...432#post2685432

Visit the Common Threads Sticky:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=447989

And welcome to the fold.:thumbsup:

Was it new or used?

• reconranger

Posted November 14, 2007 - 06:34 PM

A good general oil read: http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil.htm

Amsoil is a PAO which is good oil, but the ester synthetics have properties that make them even better. http://www.maximausa...ubeNews2002.pdf

Amsoil isn't cheap, so if you aren't squeamish about spending that much money, I say better to go with an ester like RedLine, Maxima Extra, Klotz, or Motul.

I'm running RedLine: http://www.redlineoi...p?categoryID=11

Yamalube is probably the best of the branded oils. It and Honda HP4 seem to have a fair amount of ester added to their petroleum bases.

• 642MX

Posted November 14, 2007 - 06:49 PM

A-W-E-S-O-M-E! Another oil thread! :ride:

He is my take on oil. The best oil is clean oil. Keep it changed, keep it clean. Don't use an oil with the "Energy Conserving II" label on it. It could harm your clutch. I personally use Shell Rotella 15W40. Its cheap, available anywhere, and the Rekluse Auto-Clutch guys recommend it. Congrats on the new bike. :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2007 - 08:03 PM

Amsoil isn't cheap, so if you aren't squeamish about spending that much money, I say better to go with an ester like RedLine, Maxima Extra, Klotz, or Motul.

I'm running RedLine: http://www.redlineoi...p?categoryID=11

Are any of those oils actually cheaper than $6/qt?

Yama Lube's downfall is it's lack of shear stability, which lets the viscosity drop off sharply in an unreasonably short time.

I'm a little confused by the Redline oil you linked to: It says it's good for wet clutches, then contradicts itself by stating that it is a JASO MB oil, which should never be used with a wet clutch, since they are outside of the T-903 specification required under MA.

Remember that unlike Hondas, the oil in a YZF must serve as both an engine oil AND a gear lube. MB oils should not be used for this purpose.

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 14, 2007 - 08:31 PM

didnt mxa did something on the oils in last months issue? i could of swore that they said if your bad on the clutch then syntetic oil will give it the slipping feel.. but i was under the inpression that this was true.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZFkid

Posted November 14, 2007 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for all the Input guys!
I got the bike brand new for a great price... just couldnt pass it up. So it looks like the amsoil 10w-40 will be my best bet.

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2007 - 09:07 PM

I got the bike brand new for a great price...

In that case, you will also want to plan on replacing the poor quality rear chain with something that won't stretch immediately and destroy a pair of sprockets that will otherwise last a year or more, and unless you ride a lot of seriously HARD packed ground, getrid of the front tire as well.

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2007 - 09:17 PM

didnt mxa did something on the oils in last months issue? i could of swore that they said if your bad on the clutch then syntetic oil will give it the slipping feel.. but i was under the inpression that this was true.

Synthetic oils will not make your clutch slip, oils that are unsuitable for wet clutches will.

I work mine pretty hard on trail rides without any trouble (Amsoil MCF). No need to use the clutch hard on an MX track with power like this and a 5 speed.

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 14, 2007 - 09:22 PM

thanks.. grey.. you saved my ass again.. i was running simis for the reason that it was going to give the slipping feel.. i typicaly dont abuse my clutch but sometimes i do.. ill be running the full synthetic next round of changes.

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2007 - 09:39 PM

Golden Spectro 4, in spite of the fact that it is a blend, is one of the better oils you can use. It does well in wear tests, and maintains its viscosity well in shear tests. You can do a little better, but if it works for you, there's no compelling reason to change it.

• rickallen124

Posted November 14, 2007 - 10:15 PM

Grayracer, what do you know about Torco's T-4mxr 15w-40? I've ran it before but haven't seen any comparisons as it wasn't out when sportrider and amsoil did their testing. I have done uoa tests on it and it seems to hold up well viscosity wise.

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2007 - 10:28 PM

I don't know much about it, but Torco's T-4SR did fairly well in the Amsoil test.

If you have done tests verifying it holds its viscosity through your intended oil change interval, it should be fine, with a reasonable maintenance schedule.

• albertaguy

Posted November 15, 2007 - 08:05 AM

Amen about loosing the front tire off the 07's, rides like an enduro and slides out on you often. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about bellray thumper 20-50. I think it's a semisynthetic. I've always ran it but never owned a bike long enough to see long term. Also I see some guys using regular engine oil on this thread. I was told it foamed all up and looses it's properties at high rpm. Any truth?

• grayracer513

Posted November 15, 2007 - 08:58 AM

"Regular engine oil" covers a lot of ground. Oils formulated for "normal" gasoline sedans with big engines may very well have little resistance to foaming. Oils made for smaller, higher revving engines, or most commercial grade oils ("C" grades) should have more resistance to it, but might not. Some supposed motorcycle oils foam too easily.

The biggest issue with oils that were not specifically formulated for use in motorcycles that share their engine oil with their transmission, and, for that matter, far too many that supposedly were, is viscosity retention when used to lube a gearbox. This may be what you're referring to by saying "loose properties".

Read:

http://www.thumperta...322#post4465322

• 02YZFkid

Posted November 15, 2007 - 10:41 AM

Thanks for all the help grayracer.
Which chain do you think I should go with?
This is kind of off topic... but how do you guys feel about the K&N filters for our bikes? Do they work well? Any problems not stopping as much dust as they should? Are there any benefits?

thanks again!

Rob

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.