426 running hot

5 replies to this topic
  • 426man45

Posted November 14, 2007 - 10:02 AM

i have a 2000 yz426 and it runs real hot after a min or so of riding or letting it warm up and the coolant will boil out the over flow and the level in the radiator will go down after a bit of riding i was told that the jetting might be a cause to it runnig hot just wonderin casue i dont want it to blow up again just had it rebiult this summer:confused:

• lowercasee

Posted November 14, 2007 - 10:41 AM

I would say it's either jetting or maybe the water pump isn't working right. Check the water pump/impeller and see if it's ok. If everything checks out, try richening up the carb mixture a bit. You can pick up some main jets at a dealer pretty cheap. Also check the air/fuel screw and maybe shim the needle or drop the clip on it one position.

• 426man45

Posted November 14, 2007 - 11:07 AM

ok ill try that thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lowercasee

Posted November 14, 2007 - 11:22 AM

Another possibility could be a clog/block in the radiator or cooling system.

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2007 - 11:30 AM

I can pretty much assure you that it isn't jetting. Try to get access to a laser remote thermometer (the little "guns" you can point at something and read the temperature of the object). Remove the louvers in front of the radiators, set up a fan to blow air over them, and run the engine. Check that the radiator temperature is reasonably uniform across from one side to the other of each radiator, and that the temperature is hotter at the top than at the bottom by at least 30-40 degrees with a good draft of air going across. Cold areas indicate obstructed tubes, and and insufficient temperature drop top to bottom indicates poor cooling efficiency due to scale.

Have the system and the cap tested for it's ability to hold pressure.

Test the coolant. Weak, old coolant boils too easily.

• crazyal426

Posted November 16, 2007 - 04:37 PM

If the 2000 426 has the original cap I would replace it. Follow the grayracer!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.