Quick Exhaust Question about Header/Oilfilter access

13 replies to this topic
  • yz250o2

Posted November 13, 2007 - 10:32 PM

So I have the 08 White Bros...and I still am having backfire issues with the pipe even after I jetted it. BUT I reused the stock crush gasket on the header flange....something tells me that me doing that is causing my backfiring.
The only think is tho is that what do you guys with the aftermarket pipes do with the crush gasket EVERY time you loosen the header to get to the oil filter? Do you put a new one on every time?

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2007 - 06:58 AM

No but loosening a header for oil filter access and retightening is somewhat a different deal than installing a completely different header.

Don't make too big a deal out of a little backfiring, though.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 14, 2007 - 06:59 AM

What gasket are you talking about? The 06-07 have no crush gasket

Is this a gasket for the 08 crappy pipe?

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2007 - 07:12 AM

Yamaha lists: 3VD-14613-01-00 GASKET, EXHAUST PIPE for the '06-'07, and I can assure you that both my '06's have one. If the WB pipe uses a slip fit adapter at the head, that adapter needs to be sealed to the head, it would seem to me. If it bolts in as the stock header does, it needs a gasket.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 14, 2007 - 09:16 AM

Yamaha lists: 3VD-14613-01-00 GASKET, EXHAUST PIPE for the '06-'07, and I can assure you that both my '06's have one. If the WB pipe uses a slip fit adapter at the head, that adapter needs to be sealed to the head, it would seem to me. If it bolts in as the stock header does, it needs a gasket.

interesting.....my oem header has no gasket for the header to cylinder and my WB has no gasket for the cylinder. It slips on and is held in place by the allen head bolt and 12mm nut only. The header to cannister/muffler junction on my WB is also a slip on - I use high temp gasket sealer here to seal
Maybe this gasket is just a permanent part of the cylinder now....come to think of it my 03 does not have this either....
Am I on pain meds?.....no, but I am complete confused on *** you are both referring to....unless you are talking about the oem mid pipe silver gasket that fits into the other end of the oem header to cannister/muffler. This is not used on any other pipe other than oem.....

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2007 - 09:21 AM

Item #6. It will almost never fall out when the pipe is removed, since it expands laterally when crushed, which pinches it into the port. You would usually have to pry it out of place. Your '03 started out with one, too.

http://parts.yamaha-...ifx?d=91595,2,0

• albertaguy

Posted November 14, 2007 - 09:31 AM

This seems to happen quite often when guys put on their first aftermarket pipe. It does stuff it never did before like backfiring and they get mad. I ask if they put the washer on from their old pipe or a new one and the usual response is "what washer". It's always stuck to the original head pipe. Loosening shouldn't be an issue as it's the same pipe going back to the same place, should seal fine. Any new head pipe should have a new crush washer ideally.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2007 - 09:45 AM

It's always stuck to the original head pipe.

In YZF's it normally sticks in the port in the head, as that's recessed. It's completely out of sight unless you look for it.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 14, 2007 - 11:29 AM

Darn it Gray....you taught me somthing new again....dog gone it..........:ride:
well here is the bottomline......I never removed this bugger and both of my WB pipes are sealed completely at the header/cylinder...no backfiring...:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted November 14, 2007 - 11:32 AM

Darn it Gray....you taught me somthing new again....dog gone it..........:ride:

Sorry. I won't do it again.

I usually have no trouble re-using that gasket, either, but it is a possibility. :thumbsup:

• yz250o2

Posted November 14, 2007 - 10:08 PM

alright that's what Ive thought haha. Ill put a new gasket in and see if it helps the backfire. Wow I suck at jetting though. Going down the hill in 2nd gear on decel just backfires like crazy....more than other bike do.

• nap__kxf

Posted November 15, 2007 - 05:10 AM

Sorry. I won't do it again.

I usually have no trouble re-using that gasket, either, but it is a possibility. :thumbsup:

i'm sure its a prisoner of good ole' wear&tear like most parts, maybe he rode his bike longer than you did before you put your dr. d on.

and i did notice some sort of gasket in there when i put my new dr. d on so its there...

• yz250o2

Posted November 17, 2007 - 01:31 PM

Alright so i talked to a tech from Rousville Yamaha and the first thing I told him was"hey getting some backfireing on decel." first thing he says is "Did you put a new crush washer on the head? and did you use Hightemp SIlicone on the midpipe?"

Then I asked him if you need to replace the crush washer everytime you loosen the header to get to the Oil filter and he said you sure do.... but you guys arent having any problems loosing it tho huh?

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2007 - 01:39 PM

Then I asked him if you need to replace the crush washer everytime you loosen the header to get to the Oil filter and he said you sure do.... but you guys arent having any problems loosing it tho huh?

Not so far. Again, loosening and re-tightening the same pipe is a little different than switching to a completely different pipe. His answers are straight "from the book".

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.