clutch slipping

3 replies to this topic
  • brazen red

Posted November 13, 2007 - 02:20 PM

I have a clutch slip problem on my '98 Wr400. It occurs only in top gear, but at all rev speeds.

I have fitted a complete new clutch with H/D springs and boths sets of plates (Yam stock) hoping to rectify the problem, but it remains.

I thought the clutch I removed looked OK. It looks like it was an uprated clutch as it has dimples on the steel plates, unlike the new standard yamaha clutch I have now fitted.

Someone mentioned it could be the oil type, and suggested going to mineral oil might solve it.

I am currently using semi-synthetic oil (which has been recommended to me generally as it is an old bike), against synthetic oil, as recommended by Yamaha in the workshop manual.

Or should I try going back to synthetic oil? Or none of the above?

if anyone can help I would be grateful.

All the best,

cheers, Red.

• GCannon

Posted November 14, 2007 - 09:01 AM

Search "5th gear" ? maybe you have a top gear problem? there have been may discussions on this with symptoms similar to yours.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brazen red

Posted November 19, 2007 - 12:51 PM

I'm sure this is not a gearbox problem. Any other ideas anyone?

Cheers, Red

• brazen red

Posted November 23, 2007 - 03:40 AM

I now agree - this could well be a gearbox problem.

What a pain as i've just rebuilt the bottom end!

Is there any way to be sure before I rip it apart again? Where should I look for wear, or will it be obvious. I didn't notice any wear when I had it apart....

All the best,

Cheers, Red

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.