Street Legal WR450F in NY State

7 replies to this topic
  • olehen

Posted November 13, 2007 - 11:27 AM

Is anybody in NY State converted a WR450F street legal? Any info will help.
Thanks

Oliver

• sdc

Posted November 15, 2007 - 10:11 AM

I managed to get my 90 WR250 road legal in NY about 5 years ago. BUT... tried this year to get 05 wr450 road legal, NO GO. NY state response is " we do not have athority to change manufacturer designation of OFF ROAD USE ONLY, only manufacturer can decide that" ,sounded like legal BS to me. You can bring in a bike that has been converted already(road legal title from another state) or move bike out of state, get it legal and bring it back in.
PM me if you like
Steve

• hotdog7

Posted November 15, 2007 - 02:20 PM

I had same thing here in nj dmv told me once the title says for offroad only it cant be changed so I had to find one that was taged already funny thing I bought my bike in ny and it had road tag and title in nj already and the guy gave me a copy of the original and it said offroad only so it must be not what you no but who.

• olehen

Posted November 18, 2007 - 06:18 PM

thanks for your replies. I will try and see what will happen. I will keep you posted. Might do it in January. .
Oliver

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pyrofreak

Posted January 20, 2008 - 12:03 PM

Just checking the status on your conversion. I am looking at a 250f from NJ and would like to try to get it street legal, even barely. Places like Galeton, PA won't let dirt bikes in becuase of the registration/insurance reason. Is there any way in NY to get an atv plate on a dirtbike or something at least?

• ajd187

Posted January 20, 2008 - 12:56 PM

Just checking the status on your conversion. I am looking at a 250f from NJ and would like to try to get it street legal, even barely. Places like Galeton, PA won't let dirt bikes in becuase of the registration/insurance reason. Is there any way in NY to get an atv plate on a dirtbike or something at least?

As long as you've got the Certificate of Origin or a transferrable reg, you can get an ATV plate.

You would also have to pay sales tax and a $10 reg fee.

• William1

Posted January 20, 2008 - 01:01 PM

My experience has been you need to go to a rural laid back DMV. I plated my 08 by going to a sleepy town, with a one person DMV. Flo gave me a title and plate, even though the MSO clearly stated "Off Road Only".

• bg10459

Posted January 21, 2008 - 06:12 AM

I would recommend against getting an ATV plate in NY unless you never plan on riding on the street and you need it for a particular riding area.
I've heard stories like William's, but it didn't work for me, so I converted it in Maine instead. I'm a little leary about trying to transfer the title to NY now, though, since I had previously been ATV registered in NY.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.