How were the 06 and 07 CRF450Rs???

16 replies to this topic
  • Climber

Posted November 13, 2007 - 06:45 AM

I know what forum this is.

...And, I have three YZs including a smoker (I will keep my 06 and seel the others). However, I rode the new 08 CRF and am intrigued. I don't wan't to make a $7000 commitment for a new one. As the used market falls off (way off) there are some deals on 06 and 07 hondas.

I was wondering what you all might know about them. I know that they got there valves fixed in 06 and they are supposed to handle good. Do they still burn oil? How do they compare to the 08 honda?

I ask this here as the Honda bias on the honda forums is as bad as...and I want an honest opinion.

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted November 13, 2007 - 07:12 AM

So, you think you'll get one here? Yeah, no bias in the YZF forums, eh? :thumbsup:

I'll leave it here and see where it goes.

NO BASHING!

The '06 and later CRF's are apparently somewhat improved with regard to valve train reliability, although still not quite on a par with a YZ450, and they have also made some improvements to the steering geometry. I think they handle fine, and the the bike follows the front wheel nicely. They do have a tendency, in my experience, to have the front end come completely unstuck in mid turn with very little warning. You can save it if you get on the gas quickly enough. IMO, they were always an attractive bike, and are more so now that they are more dependable. But as it is, I'll stay with the YZ450 for the time being.

• Unibomber

Posted November 13, 2007 - 07:49 AM

Not sure just how improved the valve issues are, but I have seen some killer deals on NEW in crate '06 CRF450 R/X both at 4799/4999. Very tempting and I also considered it, for the suspension, but the continued high maintenance issues has me lookin at a '07 WR450. :ride:

Spend a few weeks looking at the posts in the Honda forums and it dosent take much to figure out the valve issues will always be the weak link with the CRF line. :thumbsup:

• creeker

Posted November 13, 2007 - 09:43 AM

My brother has an 06' with plenty of hours on it and hasn't had to touch the valves yet. Bike runs like a dream... considering getting one myself.

• Climber

Posted November 13, 2007 - 02:54 PM

I'm going to look at one tonight. It's worth a look

• wes782

Posted November 13, 2007 - 03:21 PM

i have an 06 still and the thing is bullit proof. never had to touch the valves. doesnt burn oil. corners like a dream, i am kicking myself that i bought a yzf450 this year but whatever ill have to ride this out this year and go back next year. the only thing i dont like about my honda and that i like about my yamaha is the power. the Honda has way too much, to the point where it wears you out. the yamaha has plenty and you can rail it like a 250f the honda you can but it takes more work.

• matts06yzf

Posted November 13, 2007 - 04:57 PM

Just ALWAYS rember Hondas are like fat women fun to ride until your buddys catch you.:thumbsup:

• Climber

Posted November 13, 2007 - 05:25 PM

yeh, yeh, yeh,...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted November 13, 2007 - 05:38 PM

I know what forum this is.

...And, I have three YZs including a smoker (I will keep my 06 and seel the others). However, I rode the new 08 CRF and am intrigued. I don't wan't to make a $7000 commitment for a new one. As the used market falls off (way off) there are some deals on 06 and 07 hondas.

I was wondering what you all might know about them. I know that they got there valves fixed in 06 and they are supposed to handle good. Do they still burn oil? How do they compare to the 08 honda?

I ask this here as the Honda bias on the honda forums is as bad as...and I want an honest opinion.

Thanks

I work on these things all day long. Reliability on the YZF and KXF is far beyond the CRF. You are correct that the 06-08 CRF's valvetrain problems are fewer than previous years. They changed the valve seat material. However, they still have problems and they still burn oil. Maintenance issues aside, they are a good race bike. If i owned a CRF the first thing i would do is change out the intake valves to Stainless steel. I would also change the oil every race weekend along with a clean air filter every ride. The CRF's that i have raced once or twice handled nicely and the power was good. If you dont mind the extra maintenance and more than likely spending more money on rebuild parts, you should get one........but know what your likely in for before you do.

• moto867

Posted November 13, 2007 - 05:39 PM

I have a few pals with 06 and 07 crf450's. The 07' suspension seems a little firmer than the 06'. The motor is about the same, better carb on the 07'. Handling seems better on the 07'. So far they have all been bulletproof. I'm talking like 4 or 5 bikes so i'm not making a blanket statement just talking about the ones i know. One was ridden by a fast expert all last year, then sold to a vet expert, still fast just not as fast, and the valves still have not moved. I know because i do the maintainance. Fork oil changes, shock oil, things like that. Still same top end also. As with any thing it comes down to what you are looking for, ride style, personal preferance, what you really want out of a bike. Be honest and choose your weapon.

• Tattootodd

Posted November 20, 2007 - 10:51 PM

junk have done up to 6 valve adjusts in 1 day!!!!! havent done 1 yam yet.mine has over 100 hrs half SM...valves perfect....but there are a handfull of good red bikes.... few stay perf

• todds924

Posted November 21, 2007 - 06:46 PM

junk have done up to 6 valve adjusts in 1 day!!!!! havent done 1 yam yet.mine has over 100 hrs half SM...valves perfect....but there are a handfull of good red bikes.... few stay perf

You shoulda quit on the 6 valve adjustments BEFORE the first one. When you checked them and found they needed adjustment, the valves were already dished and trash. CRF valves need to be REPLACED, not adjusted. When this happens a good valve job needs to be done and new valves installed. Its just a FACT with CRF's.

• Norman

Posted November 22, 2007 - 05:31 AM

Ive owned 5 CRF's from 02 through 06, loved the bikes as far as handling and ride but I had to put valves in all 5 of them, timing chains in 3, they are great bikes but they require alot of maintainance. Ive had 4 YZ's now including my 08 and have never had to do anything to the motors, thats why I came back for the 08, Im tire of showing up to ride knowing my bike ran fine the last time I rode only to find out it wont start and guess what, the valves are trashed.

• no air charlie

Posted November 22, 2007 - 06:22 AM

I wouldn't buy a used CRF for a couple of reasons. First why would you buy a used bike when you can buy a new leftover 06 for basically the same price. Second if you buy it used you won't know if the guy just shimmed the valves in an effort to sale it. If he did it will run great for 2 or 3 hours and then the valves will take a dump and you will be dumping another $300 - $400 in to a worn out bike.

That said, I am going to pick up my new leftover 06 CRF 450 next week. I found a dealer selling them for $4,500 plus tax (roughly $4,800 OTD). It was too good of a deal to pass up.

I have owned 4 YZ 426/450s and they have been rock solid. I have never had to adjust a valve yet. I will give the Honda a try for a year and see what happens. If I could have found a similair deal on a leftover YZ I would have went that route.

• Climber

Posted November 25, 2007 - 06:30 PM

I did get a 06 honda and i love it. Hate to say it, but it really fits me. It has FC suspension and that, alone, is almost worth the price of admission.

My 06 yz has the pro-action with 24mm offset clamps and it turns good. But the honda does not try to stand up (as much) when you throttle it in a turn. Also, when going from the honda to the yami, sometimes the yami feels like a tank, sometimes it doesn't. But the honda never does.

I will keep both as I bought the yamaha new and am unwilling to take the hit of selling for cheap coupled with the lack of advances in the 07 and 08 models to justify the $$$.

What is funny, is that I can go from one to the other with NO learning curve or adjustment period. That is how close these bikes are to eachother.

• BergArabia

Posted November 25, 2007 - 11:29 PM

I have a new 07 CRF450f. Not because I prefer them to the YZ but because I live in a small town in a small country with very few bikes. Yamaha had none in stock so it was either Red or wait till next year.

Having said that I have not been disappointed, the CRF turns well, starts easy etc. I think my 05 YZ has a touch more power especially in the bottom end but the CRF is still a very nice bike to ride and does handle better for turning etc..

• BRP-rider

Posted November 26, 2007 - 12:38 PM

I rode a 2005 crf450 and the biggest difference is weight. One thing I did notice is that the crf has quicker throttle response but the power dies off quicker and stalls easier than my yz426.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.